East India Company national wonder too weak

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
Can we get an extra +6 gold to this national wonder because National Treasury is better than this dumb wonder?

Given what it is, I would suggest
2 additional sea trade routes
2 free Cargo Ships
+5 gold

Must be built in a coastal city.

If Exploration is adopted, +1 sight for naval vessels (Represents nautical info that the Trading Companies passed on to their nation's Navy.)

I haven't played around with it much yet, but I'm willing to bet it's a pretty good wonder if it's built in the right city, someplace that's going to have a lot of trade routes coming to it.

I haven't played around with it much yet, but I'm willing to bet it's a pretty good wonder if it's built in the right city, someplace that's going to have a lot of trade routes coming to it.
Actually it seems like it really doesn't matter where you build it. Inland cities work just as well as coastal, and the effects apply to the empire rather than just that city.

Personally I always build it in my capital; which is always my best production city.

Your capital is also a city that AI loves to route its trade ships to (if it's in range of their capital)

I would be against any of the buffs mentioned; you don't really want East India Company providing more Gold than Natural Treasury given that you need all the same buildings plus a set of Banks to Natural Treasury.

2 free Cargo Ships
+5 gold

If Exploration is adopted, +1 sight for naval vessels (Represents nautical info that the Trading Companies passed on to their nation's Navy.)

So it's basically a pair of Colossi without you having to race other civs for it?

National wonders aren't supposed to be better than world wonders.

I think the EIC is fine as it is, it will make the AI make plenty of trade routes to it and that results in massive cash for you. Check out the city info screen on your EIC city to see just how good it is - if it is a city with multiple resources and in a good position of course.

2 free Cargo Ships
+5 gold

It could be buffed a little bit, but that seems a little tiny bit insanely overpowered...

I'd like it to give a little bit of gold for your trade routes from the city too though, because whether this is powerful largely depends on chance right now.

2 free Cargo Ships
+5 gold

errr, no...
Way too OP for one thing.
Requiring coastal city is horrible, I mean really horrible

If anything, having it give more gold to the AI would be good so that the AI is more likely to send you a TR...

Actually it seems like it really doesn't matter where you build it. Inland cities work just as well as coastal, and the effects apply to the empire rather than just that city.

Can anyone confirm if this statement is true? Because the tooltip most definitely says it only affects the city you build it in, not your whole empire. Also, after building it, I've gone into the 'other cities routes to you' section of the traderoutes screen, and only seen a gold-received boost in the city I built it in.

Keep in mind that it also encourages other civs to make trade routes with you, which not only brings you in more money and science, but also has the indirect effect of hurting the economy of any of those civs connecting trade to you should you decide to go to war with them.

This national wonder is now useless, but it has at best very limited use. The gold bonus per trade route does exist. Is it a real enticement for you to build markets in 3-5 towns with no gold income whatsoever? Rather not. It can be used in tiny empires but if you have more cities, going for it is a universal mistake. At least imho.

I'd add just one more thing to it: 1 additional trade route. No free units. And I would rename it since current name implies a tiny bit too much. "National trade guild" maybe?

Keep in mind that it also encourages other civs to make trade routes with you, which not only brings you in more money and science, but also has the indirect effect of hurting the economy of any of those civs connecting trade to you should you decide to go to war with them.

In my experience, no matter where you selected city is, whether inland or harbor, big or small, near or far, capital or whatever, building that wonder in it is almost a guarantee that other civs traderoutes will avoid it like the plague. I pretty much believe, from my own gaming experience, that other civs are either gadawful stupid and can't fathom the benefits of trading with your wonder city, or they deliberately avoid it because they don't want to give you any extra gold. Offensive trading, in more ways then one. Or both. Whatever the cause, it just always seems to get avoided by the AI and therefore sucks eggs in quite large quantities. To be a decent wonder, it needs to either give larger direct bonuses to the city it's built in, regardless of whether the AI sends any trade to it or not (because it's usually not), or some kind of bonus to all traderoutes built to your civ, regardless of what city they land in. As it is now, it isn't even worth building.

This national wonder is now useless, but it has at best very limited use. The gold bonus per trade route does exist. Is it a real enticement for you to build markets in 3-5 towns with no gold income whatsoever? Rather not. It can be used in tiny empires but if you have more cities, going for it is a universal mistake. At least imho.

I'd add just one more thing to it: 1 additional trade route. No free units. And I would rename it since current name implies a tiny bit too much. "National trade guild" maybe?

That's the thing with these wonders, they are extremely expensive for wide empires. The idea of building everything everywhere works on Prince, but on higher difficulties you can't afford to build a market in a city that will then produce 1.25 gpt.

Can anyone confirm if this statement is true? Because the tooltip most definitely says it only affects the city you build it in, not your whole empire. Also, after building it, I've gone into the 'other cities routes to you' section of the traderoutes screen, and only seen a gold-received boost in the city I built it in.
The latter, bolded part is definitely wrong. The part about it can be an inland city is correct though. May bad for not pulling up the Civilopedia before running off at the fingertips.

I agree it's a terrible terrible national wonder, and it needs a change to provide more gold or a +1 TR available or some other boost.

There should be some ancient era building that provides plain gold to have some money at the beginning.

It has just been buffed. It gets +4 production and +4 culture once you adopt the "merchant navy" SP

It has just been buffed. It gets +4 production and +4 culture once you adopt the "merchant navy" SP

Only if you accept being forced down a SP tree I never go into. No, it needs a direct improvement, not a sideways and difficult-to-get SP boost.

Only if you accept being forced down a SP tree I never go into. No, it needs a direct improvement, not a sideways and difficult-to-get SP boost.

I don't understand. Are you saying the aspect of the game needs to be changed because of the way you choose to play?

I don't understand. Are you saying the aspect of the game needs to be changed because of the way you choose to play?

No, I'm saying that half-arsed method of 'buffing' it only works if you play the game one way, burrowing 4 policies down into an SP tree that I suspect is seldom taken by most. So the end result is still that the East India Company wonder remains worthless most of the time.

It is actually a pretty good tree now, with the east india buff and hidden antiquity sites can now give you a great work of writing or a culture bomb.

Top Bottom