Vokarya's Workshop: Units

Okay. I'll do that the next time I upload a revision. Mountaineer will be gone, Can Pass Peaks will be added to Guerrilla III, and Mountain Leader will take the Mountaineer name because I hate to let a name that good and concise go to waste.

Is this usable mountains on or off situation?:)

I agree that tracked and wheeled units shouldn't pass mountains,forests,jungles,marsh(& hills maybe) without roads.The game would become more challenging this way.

Is this usable mountains on or off situation?:)

It actually doesn't seem to make a difference. I just tried out turning Usable Mountains off, and an Explorer with Guerrilla 3 was still able to pass Peaks. Something might be bugged in the code.

I agree that tracked and wheeled units shouldn't pass mountains,forests,jungles,marsh(& hills maybe) without roads.The game would become more challenging this way.

I would support this (except hills I think those should still be passable without roads) as long as the limitation goes all the way back to chariots and battering rams and other early wheeled units so it was consistent.

It actually doesn't seem to make a difference. I just tried out turning Usable Mountains off, and an Explorer with Guerrilla 3 was still able to pass Peaks. Something might be bugged in the code.

I think that is WAI

If you gave Your Explorer Guerrilla III "Can Pass Peaks" then of course he can.

JosEPh

Thats my point, theres no options anymore:) I hope you can change the code so theres still possibility to play this mod without tanks on peaks.

If you gave Your Explorer Guerrilla III "Can Pass Peaks" then of course he can.

JosEPh

I was under the impression that if Usable Mountains was off, then units wouldn't be allowed to pass peaks under ANY conditions. So I'm not really sure what having Usable Mountains on or off actually does.

I was under the impression that if Usable Mountains was off, then units wouldn't be allowed to pass peaks under ANY conditions. So I'm not really sure what having Usable Mountains on or off actually does.

I think it use to work (at least some point) via techs, usable mountains option added (oppened) some tech/techs in techtree wich gave passability on peaks? Via promotion it was possible always, option checked or not. Your change idea only makes it easier..and is it possible that your new techtree in part of this all?

This is not fact information, only my memories in some point of mod development:)

I was under the impression that if Usable Mountains was off, then units wouldn't be allowed to pass peaks under ANY conditions.

That's correct, AFAIK. Are you sure it doesn't depend on what I've explained here and Usable Mountains has been activated accidentally?

Heavy Cavalry is a unit that I have never understood very well and seems to break a lot of rules. First of all, its tech prerequisites are really strange: it requires Horse Breeding AND Guilds AND Heraldry AND Invention. So it's got three separate prereqs from the same era and a prereq from the previous era.

Secondly, its statistics don't make sense; it has 13 Strength and 1 Speed. This makes it stronger than a War Elephant and slower than all other horse units. I think all horse units should be speed 2 and the Heavy Cavalry shouldn't be as strong as an armored war elephant.

So here's what I would like to do:
  • Lower Strength to 10. This makes it immediately equal to War Elephant but weaker once you reach Armored Cavalry.
  • Raise Speed to 2. This makes it fit with all other horse units.
  • Delete the Guilds prerequisite and change Horse Breeding to Stirrup. Guilds already has enough other stuff attached to it and Stirrup is at least a little bit closer to the Medieval Era.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13062734 said:
That's correct, AFAIK. Are you sure it doesn't depend on what I've explained here and Usable Mountains has been activated accidentally?

That is a possibility. I'll check into it.

This is what Affores says:)

Usable Mountains
With Usable Mountains, every peak will give 3 hammers , and will become passable after the research of "Mountaineering". Mountains give +75%, the largest in the game, and become strategically important to research, especially if others already have the ability to cross them. A special promotion is available to Great Generals that allows them to cross peaks before researching Mountaineering, so that your armies can elude more backwards defenders and raid and pillage enemy land with easy.

So if there is not mountaineering in your new tech tree this option has been broke since then..?

I think I have just a couple of tweaks that I want to post and maybe get feedback on before I upload a new version. One thing that I would like to modify is the Battlecruiser. Right now, it completely outshines the Dreadnought as they both have the same Strength of 48, and the Battlecruiser has base speed 7 compared to 5 for the Dreadnought. The Dreadnought is slightly better at bombarding, but that doesn't make up for the speed loss. I think it would best if we put the Battlecruiser's strength at 42, midway between the Early Destroyer (Strength 36) and the Dreadnought (48). What do you think?

I think I have just a couple of tweaks that I want to post and maybe get feedback on before I upload a new version. One thing that I would like to modify is the Battlecruiser. Right now, it completely outshines the Dreadnought as they both have the same Strength of 48, and the Battlecruiser has base speed 7 compared to 5 for the Dreadnought. The Dreadnought is slightly better at bombarding, but that doesn't make up for the speed loss. I think it would best if we put the Battlecruiser's strength at 42, midway between the Early Destroyer (Strength 36) and the Dreadnought (48). What do you think?

Perhaps 44 would be a better idea. After all battlecruisers had the same armament as dreadnoughts, which I think it's why they had the same strength in the game. What do other people think?

If you change the heavy cav, you could go a similar route as you did with horse archer and light cav.
Give heavy cav and knight equal stats, but a different set of boni and flanking attacks.

As for the dreadnought/BC didcussion, I´m with Volarya here. I never build Dreads, for the reason mentioned. 4 strenght difference (less than 10%, or less than one promotion or coastal bonus) would not change it. I think the diffence needs to be mor pronounced for gameplay reasons, to give Dreads a justification.

If you change the heavy cav, you could go a similar route as you did with horse archer and light cav.
Give heavy cav and knight equal stats, but a different set of boni and flanking attacks.

What I want to do is eventually have two staggered sets of cavalry units, heavy and light. The Light Cavalry will actually be the heavy mounted unit of the Classical Era, while the Heavy Cavalry will be the light mounted unit of the Medieval Era. There's some renaming needed and a couple of new units for the light tier in the Renaissance Era.

As for the dreadnought/BC didcussion, I´m with Volarya here. I never build Dreads, for the reason mentioned. 4 strenght difference (less than 10%, or less than one promotion or coastal bonus) would not change it. I think the diffence needs to be mor pronounced for gameplay reasons, to give Dreads a justification.

That's why I suggested 42. I also want to lower the Battlecruiser's speed to 6. I don't think it should be 2 moves faster than the Dreadnought.

That's why I suggested 42. I also want to lower the Battlecruiser's speed to 6. I don't think it should be 2 moves faster than the Dreadnought.

Well, ok, it's fine with me. I trust your judgement. :)

... tracked and wheeled units shouldn't pass mountains,forests,jungles,marsh(& hills maybe) without roads...

I agree with this (excluding hills though). Is it feasible to implement? I think it'd be really interesting.

Separately... I wonder when PerfectMongoose will have marsh terrain?

I agree with this (excluding hills though). Is it feasible to implement? I think it'd be really interesting.

Separately... I wonder when PerfectMongoose will have marsh terrain?

There's no tag to allow units to cross certain terrains/features with roads. So it would take some deep implementation to do that. I'm not sure what else there is that would take priority -- I am not a DLL modder.

Top Bottom