[Feedback needed] AND2 Checker: Easy installation and update v0.3

I was joking because you are writing "cash" (=money) instead of cache !

Is there any specific parameter that cause problem or is it the global file ?

I can make a routine to:
- Save the interesting values to a temp file
- Delete *.ini and *.bak files
- Restore the interesting values a fresh .ini

It's quite easy to do !

I don't remember now the specific name, it's that part about gameoptions, it's a long string of 0 and 1.
You're doing a superb job. :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13187894 said:
I don't remember now the specific name, it's that part about gameoptions, it's a long string of 0 and 1.
You're doing a superb job. :)

oh ! i see. I can try to reset "GameOptions=" after each update and see how it goes !

Thank you :) Just remember that a good installer is nothing without a good content inside ;) and you're doing also a super job !

Updated to v0.7

For those who have installed 0.6, the launcher should check himself and ask you to update. As this is the first time. Could you report any problem or success using the semi-automatic update process ? NOTE: After the update, the launcher still show the old version in the main menu. However, when closed and restarted, it show the good version.

If you think about a better title and background configuration, tell me about it, because i'm not really an artist ;)

It begin to look like what i have in mind but i have yet more ideas to concretize !

So this mod installs AND into Libraries/My documents/My games/Beyond The Sword/Mods. Is that correct?
So now I have two installs, one non svn stable release (v684) in the proper place (g:/civ4/bts/mods/rom-and) and one current svn in libraries/my documents. Woopie wow. Actually this is good for me as I HATE svn because when it updates it overwrites any xml or other changes that I make, so now I can play the current "vanilla" mod or my customized non svn stable release.

EDIT; Boy was I mistaken! I restarted my v684 non svn game in progress and lo and behold the F***ing svn has overwritten my V684 non svn install located in a separate hard drive! even though I used my original shortcut, not the one provided by the svn installer. Damn, now I will have to deal with the svn, either uninstall it or resign myself to only play "vanilla svn". I am VERY disappointed!

Oldnooob (Hmm drop 2 'o's and we might be right.)

err yeah, to stop the SVN over writing your modifications, you just add a comment to the file.

Here's an example I've used with Formations, which were overritten each time I updated the svn, Along with other files.

Spoiler :

Now I have formations enabled with SVN updates, add these comments to your self edited files.

But be aware, the would needs more ware's, if that particular file is changed in the svn, you'll have to add the extra coding yourself, or, re-adjust it again.

Hmmm, I can give it a try. I can repeat what you show however I do not understand the logic so that I could use this procedure in other xml's. Maybe I will once I try it and see the result.
Thank you for your help.

Hi Oldnoob,

I was away for some days. Which file do you need to customize exactly ? I can add options to the launcher to add more customizations (blue marble terrains, formations, etc...).

The installer put the files in my documents, so if you already have the mod in there, it would be overwritten. However, i'm open to add more flexibility in the installer, but i need to understand what cause you problems.

That is my issue ! the installer put the mod into my documents as you say BUT it overwrote my NON, repeat, NON SVN v684 installation located in g:/civ4/ etc. ( drive g is my games drive). I expected a separate svn folder with the current svn v705(for example). So now I have no choice but to play Vanilla svn and my non svn customized v684 game is lost. BOOOOHOOO!

I tinker with the xml's because I do not always agree with other peoples perceptions of reality.

@oldnoob :
In fact, you can still use the installer version and another SVN version side-by-side !
Just let the installer version use the default path and copy your svn version in My Games/Beyond the sword/Mods/ and rename it to (f.e.) "ROM_modded". Then, modify the CivilizationIV.ini and set your "modded mod" to autostart by default.

You can also write a script to rename the folders automatically.

the installer put the mod into my documents as you say BUT it overwrote my NON, repeat, NON SVN v684 installation located in g:/civ4/ etc. ( drive g is my games drive).
By "overwrote", you mean that the original mod is launched instead of your modded version ? The files could not have been overwritten if they were elsewhere than where the installer put the files !

QUOTE;"By "overwrote", you mean that the original mod is launched instead of your modded version ? The files could not have been overwritten if they were elsewhere than where the installer put the files ! "

You are incorrect! As I said the installer placed the svn V705 into my documents. Fine. so I saw that .
So I went to play my modded non svn located in drive G where I keep all my games. I used the same shortcut that I always use not the one on the desktop installed by your setup.
And instead of finding my v684 non svn I found that it had been overwritten by your installer.

It seems to me that your installer looks for the existing (drive number):/civilization4/bts /mods/rise of mankind installation and if it finds one overwrites it, If not it provides a shortcut on the desktop for convenience, which is great for most all players.
However for a player like me who makes a few xml changes (that does not make me a modder) SVN is death! because SVN overwrites everything every time.

If any of this description makes sense then I would ask you to add a notice in the installer setup to advise that if a person has an existing modded installation to rename it before continuing.

If I wasn't such a noob I would have realized this would happen and would have renamed my non svn684 before downloading your svn.
What I am going to do is delete the G;/civ4/bts/mods/rom-and. Then reinstall Non svn684 and rename it and the exe in that folder then I probably will be able to have two different versions.

Updated to 0.8:
Features:
- Background update detection
- Show mod and launcher version in the main window
- Menu to navigate to the mod folder
- Warning message for existing installation in the welcome page of the installer (thanks oldnoob)

Thanks dbkblk, Sorry to be so gruff, but I ended up spending quite a few hours that day repairing the mess I made of this install. It's tough being such a noob as I am. Things that are crystal clear to many are "Greek" to me.

Sorry to be so gruff.
No problem at all. The more feedback there is, the better the launcher will be! So thank you!
I only took time to answer as i had no time to work on it the previous days.

So finally I tried the installer. Here are my experiences:

After instaling the installer :)crazyeye:) it said "Rom-And is not installed". It was. In the BtS/Mods folder.
Then it asked me if I want to dowload it? Altouhg not having internet connection on the PC I am playing on, I hit "Yes". Than nothing happens, it was just waiting without any error message (I would expect that).
So I exit.
When I wanted to load my savegame, it crushed. Loading the mod with a modloader was also impossible. Loading BtS worked. Than loading RomAnd from that menu seemed to work, but only to see in civilopedia that it is actually BtS and not RomAnd.
Thinking that it is the same issue that oldnoob had, I re-installed RomAnd and BtS.
...that did not help.
Going to MyDocument/MyGames/etc/mods folder I saw a mostly empty RomAnd folder (it only had an ini file I think). Deleting this folder solved the problem and the original RomAnd loaded perfectly.

I hope this can help you to improve your program.

Looking forward to 0.9 :)

So finally I tried the installer. Here are my experiences:

After instaling the installer :)crazyeye:) it said "Rom-And is not installed". It was. In the BtS/Mods folder.
Then it asked me if I want to dowload it? Altouhg not having internet connection on the PC I am playing on, I hit "Yes". Than nothing happens, it was just waiting without any error message (I would expect that).
So I exit.
When I wanted to load my savegame, it crushed. Loading the mod with a modloader was also impossible. Loading BtS worked. Than loading RomAnd from that menu seemed to work, but only to see in civilopedia that it is actually BtS and not RomAnd.
Thinking that it is the same issue that oldnoob had, I re-installed RomAnd and BtS.
...that did not help.
Going to MyDocument/MyGames/etc/mods folder I saw a mostly empty RomAnd folder (it only had an ini file I think). Deleting this folder solved the problem and the original RomAnd loaded perfectly.

I hope this can help you to improve your program.

Looking forward to 0.9 :)

1.) As I understand, there is no way for the installer to detect existing files it did not install itself.

2.) This updater needs the internet. Why are you running it without the internet? :crazyeye:

Thanks for the feedback : )
I'm working on the 0.9 and i began to handle C++ much better now. I'll try to fix that !
Right now i have implemented:
- Autodetection of the game path from registry
- A component manager to update/download new addons
- Updated graphics for the launcher
- An options to use formations
- Allow the game to be installed from anywhere
- A static version of the executable which doesn't need any dll in the folder (and reduce the installer size from 22mb to 8mb)
- Some bugfixes

I think i'll need a day or two to publish 0.9

1.) As I understand, there is no way for the installer to detect existing files it did not install itself.

Actually, i don't know how to make svn to detect existing installation :/ Do you have any idea ?

2.) This updater needs the internet. Why are you running it without the internet? :crazyeye:

Of course. That might sound funny, but i haven't seen that from this perspective :D

EDIT: BTW, is there anyone here that know how to change the thread title ? :/

Actually, i don't know how to make svn to detect existing installation :/ Do you have any idea ?

I don't think you can. The best alternative might be to check for an existing folder and warn the user that their files will get overwritten.

EDIT: BTW, is there anyone here that know how to change the thread title ? :/

Edit the first post, there is an option for title above the message body area.

Edit the first post, there is an option for title above the message body area.
I've already tried this ! Look at the first post, the subtitle is edited but the main thread keep the same name.

I'm having trouble with this. I installed the latest version and ran the Setup Wizard, but now upon trying to run the Civilization IV - A New Dawn program, no windows appear. A quick check of Task Manager reveals that running the program starts these two processes: and2_checker, then shortly after WerFault.exe, which is described as a Windows Problem Reporting process. However, I see no windows open, not even an error reporting window. I am using the Steam version of the game.

Top Bottom