[Feedback needed] AND2 Checker: Easy installation and update v0.3

@45deg: I'm ready to publish a new version of the launcher.
I have removed addon support for now, but reimplemented the module manager in a saner way. I also have made the updater independant from the launcher so it can update svn without harm.

Blue Marble is packed as fpk in a zip file in Assets/. The launcher just unpack / remove BM to install it.

Do you agree to publish the launcher in svn without addons support for now ? I prefer it to be stable before to include a new feature for now.

@45deg: I'm ready to publish a new version of the launcher.
I have removed addon support for now, but reimplemented the module manager in a saner way. I also have made the updater independant from the launcher so it can update svn without harm.

Blue Marble is packed as fpk in a zip file in Assets/. The launcher just unpack / remove BM to install it.

Do you agree to publish the launcher in svn without addons support for now ? I prefer it to be stable before to include a new feature for now.
Yes, of course it's ok to me.

@45deg: I forgot to ask you. Do you prefer a small executable (300ko) with many dll in the root folder (40MB) (but only the executables will be updated each = smaller update) or a single bigger executable (9MB) ?

@45deg: I forgot to ask you. Do you prefer a small executable (300ko) with many dll in the root folder (40MB) (but only the executables will be updated each = smaller update) or a single bigger executable (9MB) ?
Well, I'd prefer a single file. it's not so big so I think it's better and should cause less problems for users.

Let's go then !

Updated to 0.11:
The launcher is now part of the main mod. The launcher auto-update is disabled starting to 0.11. Versions 0.10 or older can still auto-update to 0.11 but do the launcher update BEFORE the mod update (or just install the new version)

- Feature: Multilanguage installer / launcher
- Feature: Option to install blue marble
- Improvement: Code optimization
- Improvement: Enhanced initial installation
- Improvement: Reworked options / modules manager (addons installation are disabled for now)
- Improvement: New icon
- Bugfix: Fixed the weird unclickable menu bug
- Bugfix: - Fixed cache clearing

!!! Disabled launcher auto-update / Separated updater (due to the integration in the main mod) !!!

Bug report: language resets back to default after you update the mod. In my case, default was italian (I suppose taken from system), I switched to english but after updating the mod from r737 to r739 it reverted back to italian.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13287865 said:
Bug report: language resets back to default after you update the mod. In my case, default was italian (I suppose taken from system), I switched to english but after updating the mod from r737 to r739 it reverted back to italian.

Thank you. In fact, the language is checked at start and not saved actually. I think it will default to italian each time you launch it ! This is easy to implement.

Thank you. In fact, the language is checked at start and not saved actually. I think it will default to italian each time you launch it ! This is easy to implement.

One more hint, I didn't restart the launcher, it reverted back to default when quitting the "manage modules" inferface returning to the main interface.

Yes because the code is pretty simple on the update part:
- Click on update copy the updater to root folder
- It close the launcher and start the updater
- The updater handle the update
- At the end it restart the launcher and close itself
- The launcher remove the updater from the root folder

So... in fact the launcher restart !

Updated to 0.12:
Features:
- Option to choose the behavior on update (especially for oldnoob !)
- Better changelog render in modules window
- Updated translations

Bugfix:
- Save the language state

Just update the mod and you will get the newest launcher !

@dbkblk, Thank you for addressing my concerns. I just want to check to be sure that you understand that my concerns are for preserving xml changes I made in my current game. I am not concerned about options or ini changes during updates as they take only minutes to change however , my xml changes can take as long as two days to complete.
SVN has always overwritten all of my xml changes when it updates because it does not know how to distinguish my changes from the mod xml it is replacing. The only way to preserve my xml changes are to copy my current xml to another location, perform the svn update, then try to copy my xml changes into the new version xml. So guess what, It takes just as long to do that procedure as it did initially! All that being said, the result is that I am likely to make quite a few mistakes when trying to copy/paste my changes back in.
So again thank you for your consideration of my concerns.

@oldnoob: SVN has multiple way to handle updates. I've implemented the 2 easier way to manage into the launcher:
- Either you use the default behavior "use new files", which will remove your modded file if an update of the file is available (i've made it default to be sure the needed files are replaced)
- Or you use "Keep local changes", which will update all the untouched files only. If the updater check a modified file, it won't do anything on it, thus preserving your file ! However, this might introduce bugs because your file won't be updated with the latest needed code. I suggest you try this yourself (backup first to be sure).

Either you find this satisfactory or you might want to automatically try to merge files ? I can also add it as a third option.

Just update the mod and you will get the newest launcher !

Just to make sure, you know it doesn't work if I try to update using your launcher, right?
I see "update available" but it doesn't work.

Edit: it probably doesn't work in italian. If I switch to english, I can update. I'll see if the problem persists with the next update.
Edit 2: also it probably can't update the launcher because the launcher is running. I've seen it skipped 2 files in the process and my version always shows 0.11

OK. I still have some problems with the update. The updater is made to kill the launcher when it start, but it seem that it does not work everytime :(
Did you tried to do "Menu > Fix installation > Clean up" to see if it's the update works better ?

I've a found a bug in the installer which cause it to hang on some systems (like the one from azar). The check of msvc is in cause. The launcher will now be compiled with msvc2010 only so this will remove dependencies with msvc2013, and will work better on older systems (and on linux with wine, if any).
MSVC2010 will be included in the installer as an optional component and put in mod directory.

The installer is updated (link is still the same):
- Removed MSVC2013 dependencies in the launcher
- New way to install MSVC2010 that should not prevent installer to start.
- MSVC2010 will be included in the svn server (4mb) for those who use Tortoise to update.
- The installer / launcher now work on XP and on Linux (with wine)

Launcher v0.13:
- Dropped MSVC2013 dependency (only MSVC2010 for SVN and the launcher)
- Make the install button translatable
- Bugfix: translate modules window after changing language
- Updated french / spanish translation
- Improved updater routine
- "Menu > Clean up" is now "Restore default state" to bring
- New installer compatible with XP / Linux (wine)

I've found a bug preventing update when the launcher is manually installed then used to update. If you can't update right now, please download this script https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/369241/Launcher_update_fix.zip and put it in the root mod folder then execute.
It will reset the repository to the default state, then the updater should work as usual. Be warned that it will remove all your edited files.

Updated to v0.14
The updater should now be fixed ! A bug prevented the update when the launcher was installed manually...

Feature:
New feature (Menu > Fix installation > Enter SVN command) to help debug players

Bugfixes:
Fix rev. number sometimes not updated
Fix modules window title
Fix updater not working when the launcher is installed separately
Revert install is now handled by cmd.

Top Bottom