Revolution: what's your experience?

@45°: That either an aura or a placebo effect :D

Wouldn't it make more sense (for a challenge for the upper level players) for REV to only affect the player? Leave the AI empires completely out of it?

JosEPh

Wouldn't it make more sense (for a challenge for the upper level players) for REV to only affect the player? Leave the AI empires completely out of it?

JosEPh

Definetely not. Revolutions should happen to both AI and human players. But since in general humans handle them better, there's an offset and different modifers for human/AI. Right now I think it's balanced good enough between humans/AI, but I'm increasing a bit some human modifers to make revolutions more challenging for humans only (and maybe a bit for both humans and AI for religious revolts).

In the game I'm playing now, revolutions mostly occur in three main cases:
1) Offshore island colonies: I granted independence to my own colonies simply to save on the insane maintenance they were costing, same did another couple of AIs. Some others refused the terms and spawned some rebels. I even saw a 1-tile island city become barbarian because of a revolt!
2)Revolutions (like my failed cultural conquest due to the bug) instigated by me.
3)Civs on the verge of being eliminated (again by me) whose last cities become independent rebels.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13720905 said:
I haven't uploaded any changes yet, I'm still testing them. Last couple of games compared to what? Were you still playing some updated revisions before the last two games or were you on a very old revision? I've tweaked some factors a couple of months ago IIRC, but nothing more (yet). I can't check now, but I think I recall there are other factors.
Hmm... weird. It's possible my previous games were from quite a few revisions ago. I haven't played a lot of AND in the past couple months, so it might be that. The other thing that occurred to me is that the larger default number of starting civs might be making the average # of cities smaller, giving me a larger "huge empire" hit. Or the number of barb cities. I'm doing a lot more early conquering.
@45°: That either an aura or a placebo effect
Totally could be the placebo effect. I could also just be out of practice. lol

SVM 878

I've just had a strange event from revolutions.

I was revolting (Sheeze the really are) an AI colony on MY Continent, I play continents.

When I got the option to ;

a) Welcome back the rebellious peoples
b) Refuse to welcome them back and have a Barbarian civ spawn.

I welcomed them back, O,K. its been noted that its broken, and nothing happened.

But then. Suddenly a core city I'd taken from the Extinct Assyrians, revolted, installed about 5 Assyrian muskets, when I had rifles, and still had 99% Culture. The city was in constant revolt, due to my culture pressure.

It had a few National wonders, the Black Smiths Guild HQ and one or two World wonders.

Now was this revolt a result of REVDCM or just an anomaly of game play.

I ended up revolting the city with my spy, and had the Assyrians burn it down :Waaaahhhhhh!! :

P.S. old SVN I know, but the latest, removes my AI settled Great Generals, I can accept that, but slow bump scrolling I can't, and turning of Contact decay doesn't stop that either 45 Deg, thanks for suggestion.

921 rev

i playing on prince difficulty and i got REV problem)))
and REV problem having AI i`m playing with :)

minimum from 1000BC to 0AD 5-7 civ formed as result of REV`s

921 rev

i playing on prince difficulty and i got REV problem)))
and REV problem having AI i`m playing with :)

minimum from 1000BC to 0AD 5-7 civ formed as result of REV`s
Nice to know. What gamespeed and mapsize are you using? Thanks!

Marathon \ Epic
mapsize Standart
i never play larger maps...

p.s. my dream to see one universal mapscript that can generate what i want ant not bunch off scripts what i don`t know if their state good or not or current state of mod.

@masaykh: You seem to have a good knowledge of programmation. Mapscripts are written in python. Maybe you can try to make a perfect configurable mix ?

sorry i`m only administrator \tester i dont have at present any programming skills...(but can troubleshoot many things :) )

Is Revolution any better since my last changes? I had some revolts but not really challenging. I'm on immortal using flexible difficulty. I keep reading of revolts in other civs and I get some warning from some cities I've conquered but they actually spawned a couple of rebel units which I quickly killed. I'm thinking about decreasing a bit AI revolutions and increasing some more human revolutions, religious especially since I haven't seen any religious revolt. The good news is that I've been asked many times by my cities to become independent or to join another nation, I even risked a war with my vassal because of one of my cities wanting to join them.

I'm in favour of all difficulty improvement! I think it should be a bit harder for the humans than for the AI, but that seems to already be the case!

Played on a large map with the highest Gamespeed.

I had a few revolutions in offshore or conquered cities, the rebels were easy to defeat but the city kept revolting, I wasn't able to build any buildings. When one revolt ended after 2 turns the next started for the next 7 turns...

Yeah I am all for harder revs, but I think there needs to be a longer cooldown between revolts.

I include some feedback from my latest try at Revolutions, I shall start with asking if there exists any documentation about how to play with this mod, or perhaps a "demo game" where someone talked through why they did what WRT keeping a stable empire?

Me: I think I am a competent player, but have never given the Revolutions Mod or its implementation in RoMAND much of a try.

Game: Rev 971, Earth2 Map Standard, Noble difficulty start with flex difficulty.

I started near some flood plains with Wheat, so got off to a good start. I grew to size 3 before building a settler, which was about median of the players I knew. I built my second city with 1 tile overlap with the capital BFC. I build my third city slightly before the median, about 30% of known civs had 3 cities when I founded my 3rd, with 1 tile between the BFC's to catch some more flood plains. All cities had 3 or more defenders, and I built culture as 1st priority then infrastructure in cities 2 and 3.

Soon after building my 3rd city I got my 1st "I want to leave the empire" message, which I rejected. This caused unhappiness, that damaged my economy. I then got the "economic trouble" modifier and by BC 2160 I had a full blown armed rebellion (I would not give up 2 of my 3 cities) and then I gave up.

I am sure this is me not understanding how to handle revolutions, and I am probably not a perfect test subject for this as I do not like the concept much (really do not like it in RFC either). I thought I would give you feedback though. If there was a "Revolutions Light" option that you talked about elsewhere I would definitely try that.

I include some feedback from my latest try at Revolutions, I shall start with asking if there exists any documentation about how to play with this mod, or perhaps a "demo game" where someone talked through why they did what WRT keeping a stable empire?

Me: I think I am a competent player, but have never given the Revolutions Mod or its implementation in RoMAND much of a try.

Game: Rev 971, Earth2 Map Standard, Noble difficulty start with flex difficulty.

I started near some flood plains with Wheat, so got off to a good start. I grew to size 3 before building a settler, which was about median of the players I knew. I built my second city with 1 tile overlap with the capital BFC. I build my third city slightly before the median, about 30% of known civs had 3 cities when I founded my 3rd, with 1 tile between the BFC's to catch some more flood plains. All cities had 3 or more defenders, and I built culture as 1st priority then infrastructure in cities 2 and 3.

Soon after building my 3rd city I got my 1st "I want to leave the empire" message, which I rejected. This caused unhappiness, that damaged my economy. I then got the "economic trouble" modifier and by BC 2160 I had a full blown armed rebellion (I would not give up 2 of my 3 cities) and then I gave up.

I am sure this is me not understanding how to handle revolutions, and I am probably not a perfect test subject for this as I do not like the concept much (really do not like it in RFC either). I thought I would give you feedback though. If there was a "Revolutions Light" option that you talked about elsewhere I would definitely try that.
Well, Revolution has been changed significantly (I guess) in revision 972 (read my post in the SVN thread if you want to update); now there's a single parameter under BUG options to make it harder or easier. I suggest you try with a 0 parameter given what you've written.
And no, there's no tutorial that I'm aware of. Also, I'll probably tweak revolution more in following revisions.

Top Bottom