Duplicate Icons

Vokarya

Deity
At some point fairly soon, I am going to be repacking my FPK file. I plan to introduce two new buildings (Durasteel Mill and Surveillance Network) and will need to include icons for them; I will probably use existing building models unless I can find something really good to use. Since the FPK is a pretty large file, I don't want to update it unless I have to, so people using the SVN don't have to re-download a gigantic file like that. However, since I will need to redo the FPK in order to add icons, I may as well see if there are any other art changes that need to be made. I will probably include the alternate artwork for the Special Infantry (and maybe give it a rename as well).

So with that said, I think now would be a good time to look through the mod and identify any duplicate icons so that we can replace one of them with something unique. I think it's important that icons be as different as possible to help with identification.

The ones I could find with a quick look through the mod:
  • Diplomatic Mission and UN Mission
  • Conglomerates and Communication Networks
  • Recycling, Environmental Economics, and Planetary Economics
  • United Nations and Interventionism civic
  • Great Wall and Protectionism civic
  • Guilds civic and Guilds tech
  • Mine, Shaft Mine, and Depleted Mine
  • Plantation and Silk Farm
  • Factory, Industrial Complex, and Cement Mill
  • Camp and Safari
  • Assembly Plant, Cannery, and Industry improvement
  • Civil Engineering and Advanced Quality Control
  • Usury, Coinage, and National Mint
  • Global Hawk and Drone Bombers
  • Political Philosophy tech and Social Contract tech use very similar icons, but flipped.

If you know of any other icons that are duplicated, post them here. If you have any suggestions for what artwork to use, let me know. Otherwise, I will try and find something.

If you know of any other icons that are duplicated, post them here. If you have any suggestions for what artwork to use, let me know. Otherwise, I will try and find something.

Jail and Police Station (iirc)
Holy Roman UB, Town Hall, Metropolitan Administration and Capital Administration

They seem simple enough. :)

So here's two more I think are usable.

Realism Invictus has a Food Preservation tech that I think would be very usable as a Cannery icon. The Canned Food Factory is not nearly as clear.
View attachment 397528

Fall from Heaven 2 has what is called the Hippus Palace. I think it looks like a very good Medieval to Renaissance Era building. I think we could use this as the new City Council and push the current City Council (which is actually Colonization's Town Hall) to our Town Hall. I'll take another look through PAE's Ancient Europe and see if I can find a good Village Hall. Village Hall needs to look simple.
View attachment 397529

Those look good, yes.

Biological warfare lab = Cloning Laboratory = Space Laboratory
Corporation = Corporation store (Corporation tab in tech tree)
Medical clinic = Hospital =
Rubber Factory = Rubber Plant
District Court house = Court house
University = Einstein’s laboratory

Add Rathus and Manor to Sorgoons list of Civic buildings

*Add* Command centre = Bunker
Clones = Android Workers.
Super Cavitation = Coastal Assault

And here's one that I think would be good for Medical Clinic. This is from a huge pack of sci-fi buttons that are available in the Downloads database. They aren't named at all so it's a real delve to find an appropriate one in the mix. I've been trying to rename some of the ones in my copy so I can tell what they are.

View attachment 397583

EDIT: I meant Research Hospital, the one that produces the Smart Drugs resource. Medical Clinic and Research Hospital have very non-specific names, but both of them are keeping their respective technology at the two-trick viability threshold.

Here's a few more from the sci-fi buttons pack.

Computers tech, Computer Network building and Silicon Valley all currently use the same icon. Here is an icon for Computer Network:
View attachment 397897

and one for Silicon Valley:
View attachment 397896

Global Stock Exchange also uses the same icon as the English Stock Exchange. I think this will be different enough to use for the Global Exchange:
View attachment 397898

And here's one that I think would be good for Medical Clinic. This is from a huge pack of sci-fi buttons that are available in the Downloads database. They aren't named at all so it's a real delve to find an appropriate one in the mix. I've been trying to rename some of the ones in my copy so I can tell what they are.

View attachment 397583

Looks more like an icon for Chemical Labs.

As an FYI, it looks to me like several buttons are missing a proper alpha channel (it's what provides the rounded corners on in-game buttons). I'm going to add them, but it's going to mean re-downloading the RoM.fpk file.

Found just a couple more for the moment.

This one I'd like to use for the Industry improvement, so it looks different from Factory. (Industrial Complex needs replacing too, but I haven't found a good icon yet.)
View attachment 398300

This one is for Advanced Quality Control. We need to differentiate our various high-tech industry buildings. Factory, Manufacturing Plant, Nanofactory and Industrial Complex all use the same icon, and Advanced Quality Control uses the same icon as the Civil Engineering tech. The sci-fi buttons pack has a lot of big high-tech buildings but I'm still looking for ones that really look like production buildings.
View attachment 398301

Top Bottom