Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

Poser vets:

I'm trying to create a spearman, but I'm having an issue creating the death. Whenever I unparent the spear to make it fall from the model's hand, it makes it unparent for all of the animations. I've probably goofed up somewhere in the Keyframe Editor I'm guessing, but would that be correct? Or is there something other simple I've probably goofed on?

Thanks in advance. :)

Make a seperate animation when you wish to unparent something
Open the keyframes. Select the attack animation.
Paste it to the first 15 frames
Shorten the animation to 15 frames
save as unitname_death
Unparent the spear and have fun.

Plotinus said:
[Olorin] For the part where the spear is stuck to his hand, make sure you make every frame a key frame. Then unparent it in the next frame, and it should leave the previous ones alone.

This is the behavior I expected... but I did not get it. It would periodically move all over the place when I made later changes

Stormrage said:
Paint Shop 4 won`t open the .tif file I exported with UV Mapper? :help:

If you have other file formats to choose from in the Windows verision of UVMapper, you can choose another one (e.g. .bmp, .jpg, etc.). I have only ever used the mac version, and in that there are only options for .tif and .pdf. That's why I say to export as a .tif file.

Plotinus said:
[Olorin] For the part where the spear is stuck to his hand, make sure you make every frame a key frame. Then unparent it in the next frame, and it should leave the previous ones alone.

Yep, that's how it's done. Before you make the prop parented to the ROTATE BALL, be sure that all of the previous frames for the prop are key frames. Only then, parent it to the ROTATE BALL. If you're doing this, you should have everything go well.

The same holds true if you want a unit to put something down and then pick it back up--for example, sticking a sword into the ground then picking it back up. When the sword is where it's going to stand in the ground, make all the previous frames key frames. Then, parent the sword to the ROTATE BALL. Continue animating. When the sword is ready to be removed, again make all previous frames, up to and including the frame before it would start to move, key frames. Then parent the sword back to the PDM's hand.

Okay, how come .cr2 files never work for me, no matter what I do? For me, all they do is add a skeleton to an existing model, like the paperdoll, but never add a prop when you want it to. Like I was using Kinboat's Aiel turban, and went into the room where you add stuff, and clicked on the turban to add it. I went back to the Pose room and all of the rest of the props were gone, and the Aiel truban wasn't even there, either! Just a bunch of arrow things. So how do you use.cr2 files?

I'm stuck at building the model pt 5. My version of UVmapper has no option to "export texture map." The closest thing is "export uvs." When I try to do this I see a lot of options that aren't mentioned in the tutorial. UVmapper wants to save everything as a UVS file rather than .tif files as per the tutorial. I've tried saving with both extensions; I have PSP8 but it doesn't recognize either the .tif or .uvs files.

Top Bottom