Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

Oh nevermind, the prop was just waaaaaaaaaay too big. Doh, how simple.

I'm still having a little trouble parenting the paperdoll shirt to the paperdoll figure, arms keep poking through as they bend. Guess I'll keep plugging away...

How do I parent the imported paperdoll pants to the paperdoll's legs, so that the pants conform to the legs? I'm trying to do it through the properties box, but I get some funky results... the tutorial doesn't seem to cover this exactly.

Don't forget to open the "joint editor" and set to zero.

In general, with PDM pants, I find that by increasing the scale to 101-103%, a lot of the funky results go away. Same with the shirts. At civ scale, this baggy effect will not show up. If anything, it will make the unit easier to see.

What are you making by the way? Hook us up with a preview...

Oh, I'm not making anything in particular, I'm just trying to get the hang of the program. Eventually I want to make an insurgent/irregular combatant unit of some type.

I guess you are using PDMpants2 for your infantry units. What do you parent the pants to? The PDM itself? The body? The hip? something else? Then you go to the joint editor and zero it, and the pants should follow the legs as they are moved, right?

odin, what do you meant "move with it"? as in you attach them to the arms? if cant be done so easily. you must seperate all the pieces (i do this be going into the grouping screen and clicking each part and going 'spawn prop' and deleting all the unnececarry parts. then i line up and parent each of the bits so corresponding areas of the arm.

if that isnt what you're on about, please tell me what it is that you're on about.

Step 25 of animating, it says to "click on the yellow button with the up and down line on it." I don't have a yellow button and "up and down line" is too vague. The tutorial doesn't say what the button is or what it does. Is it the linear selection button? Or what?

Thanks for the tutorial utah!

I tried to start following your tutorial to make units. First I wanted to download all the files, before I look in the tutorial. I downloaded Spanish Stuff, and it doesn't want to extract, tells me 5 files or so are corrupt. :(

@Mirc: Try restarting your comp. That's what I do in this sort of situation. Then, try re-downloading them if it still says they're corrupt.

Mirc said:
Thanks for the tutorial utah!

I tried to start following your tutorial to make units. First I wanted to download all the files, before I look in the tutorial. I downloaded Spanish Stuff, and it doesn't want to extract, tells me 5 files or so are corrupt. :(
Which files? I just tested them and the ones I tried seem to work.
Did you try to re-DL them?

Top Bottom