Reason for 357 naval unit achievement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwakkle

Chieftain
So the steam achievement "Ruler of the Seas" requires you to sink and destroy 357 naval units over any number of play throughs as Elizabeth.
Friends of mine and I have been wondering if there is a specific reason for the unusual number chosen for said achievement.
Did the English empire destroy 357 ships during her rule?
If anyone can shed some light on this, or perhaps someone who has more google skills then myself can find a reason on the intarwebs? We would love to know :)

It might perhaps be a total of the ships destroyed during the "golden age of the empire", but can't see where they'd get that from, is a rather odd figure to pop out of your head...

357 magnum. although I fail to see how that relates to naval vessels.

Perhaps this from a google search...though it does seem a strange way to immortalize this number.

"HMS Victoria (Great Britain) - Accidentally rammed by the HMS Camperdown and sunk on 22 June 1893 during annual summer fleet exercises off Tripoli in Syria (now part of Lebanon). Out of a crew of 715 aboard the Victoria, 357 crew were rescued and 358 died."

other than that... perhaps someone could read through http://www.archive.org/details/battlesofbritish01alle this and count them up for us....

The only thing I'm relatively certain of is that there IS a reason. I have no idea what it is, and digging has utterly failed to uncover it. Then again, my google-fu skills are not what one would consider "mad".

it was the total number of ships (spanish and english) taking part in the Battle of Gravelines

it was the total number of ships (spanish and english) taking part in the Battle of Gravelines
THAT'S ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!
So, to earn that achievement, Elizabeth has to sink the Spanish armada AND her own!
So ******ed! :lol:

In 1588 the Spanish send the Spanish Armada to attack and invade England. The English were outnumbered, but their ships were more advanced. The English ships were faster and could shoot farther reliably(Also the attributes that win navel battles in civ).
In the end the English sustained minimal losses and sunk 357 Spanish ships.

357 ships.

How is this even possible? Look I play on smaller maps so my computer doesn't slow down (Civ 5 seems different, but I still have nightmares about Fall from Heaven in Civ 4 and the "slowdown").

The AI's don't seem to build many ships. Actually the city states (guess because they are mostly coastal?) seem more into it.

357 ships. Just saying I don't think city states, me, the AI's and the barbarians all together come close to building that many in a game.

357 ships.

How is this even possible? Look I play on smaller maps so my computer doesn't slow down (Civ 5 seems different, but I still have nightmares about Fall from Heaven in Civ 4 and the "slowdown").

The AI's don't seem to build many ships. Actually the city states (guess because they are mostly coastal?) seem more into it.

357 ships. Just saying I don't think city states, me, the AI's and the barbarians all together come close to building that many in a game.

"As Elizabeth, sink and destroy 357 enemy naval units, across any number of playthroughs"

That's still a heck of a lot of games needed.

In 1588 the Spanish send the Spanish Armada to attack and invade England. The English were outnumbered, but their ships were more advanced. The English ships were faster and could shoot farther reliably(Also the attributes that win navel battles in civ).
In the end the English sustained minimal losses and sunk 357 Spanish ships.

"The English fleet outnumbered the Spanish, 200 ships to 130."
"In the end, 67 ships and fewer than 10,000 men survived."

Which means 73 ships lost by the Spanish, most of which were armed merchantmen, not galleons.

The following English Armada (on which history books are strangely silent) was even more costly in men.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada#Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom