Bug Reports

Just a request to flesh out the Inquisitor entry in the 'Pedia. There isn't any info on how to use them in game (do you need to be in Theo to build the things? Does it require a special building? so forth). Neat concept and great idea for a game using Revolutions, but something that I'm not used to, and frankly, I'm not quite sure what I need to build/use them.

I don't know why, but it seems the installer is very slow on Windows 7 32-bit. It took lots of time for it to get as far as asking a permission to allow installation, and after that it took a long while to verify the installer. Extraction also took longer than what I'd expect from a 300+ MB file. In total it took me like 5 minutes when on XP it didn't take even a minute if I remember correctly.

(Although I'm not sure whether this was a vistaism or not, have been using XP this long because of this kinds of slowdowns.)

Hello, I've got a fatal issue with my game. I installed the beta, and the patch as instructed, however, I can't seem to get out of the Medieval Ages without my game beginning to crash. It has happened in different games, and doesn't happen at the same time every game. It randomly occurs (I have reloaded old saves) every game, beginning around the Medieval area. Whether the timing is merely a coincidence, I'm not sure, but if you would take a look at the error, maybe you could get an idea.
The picture of the error is below

Do you think reinstalling the mod would have any effect?

Memory allocation errors happen a lot in big mods which add lots of high-poly units. LoR does add a lot of units, but they're all low-poly, so they should not be straining on the video card.

You can reduce MAFs by reducing the graphics settings (just don't check "freeze animations"), but the only way to truly be rid of them is to up your graphics card/RAM (I think). I'm guessing that since LoR does add a lot of extra units (500+ megabytes), even though they're all low-poly, it's still a lot to keep in memory and thus MAFs happen (although Phungus thinks this shouldn't be an issue).

MAF's arent really really a problem specific to this mod. What graphics settings are you running on? If your getting this error you most likely need turn all your graphics settings to low and run on low resolution in the game options. This error just means you are overloading your graphics card/computer. Just make sure when you check low graphics that frozen animations box doesnt get checked, as LoR doesnt work with frozen animations. If this is happening to you in the middle ages, I would guess that you have a low end computer. So I definately would play with low graphics settings.

With the next update the MAFs should get even rarer.

EDIT: Darn, too late.

2nd EDIT: BobtheTerrible: I was under the impression that the total amount of units/total art file size is only a concern with the first initialization at startup. And then whatever units are in play or on the screen effect MAFs.

I'll try lowering the graphics, however I don't have a low end computer and do have a decent graphics card. NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 is a decent card, isn't it? I'll give you all an update on whether your suggestions worked.

Its an decent card and its actually a tad better than mine. But you should still try turning your graphics down. Also what map size are you playing? If your playing huge or large that could be part of the problem as well.

Out of all the mods out there that have as many ethnic varient units, LoR will probably perform the best, with the least amount of MAFs.

Someone else reported increased MAFs in when BtS updated to 3.19, I think some users are just going to get them. MAFs in general mean that the RAM/Vidio Card is getting overloaded, but they specifically mean the engine didn't allocate data to the memory correctly, this kills the program (as an entire block of data it knows it needs is ommited) and it crashes. Based on the reports I'm getting on MAFs, and the fact they are reported more after upgrading to 3.19 my theory is that the changes in the gamecore, where some of the graphics stuff that was handled in the .exe, which moved to the dll, is causing problems on some systems. Also I'm playing a game right now and it's going noticably slower then 0.9.2x (last stable build for 3.17), so I'm not sure what's up with LoR right now.

I was going to start working on an update using the art from ach. But I think that stabilizing LoR will best be accomplished by ripping out all non necessary models (ethnic models) and revert everything possible to BtS. I think the next version of LoR will only be available with in light. After 0.9.5light is released We can go through andadd back in ethnic art over the next week or so to release a full version that is properly tested.

Also I'm playing a game right now and it's going noticably slower then 0.9.2x (last stable build for 3.17), so I'm not sure what's up with LoR right now.

Even with the latest art? If so, that sucks.

I was going to start working on an update using the art from ach. But I think that stabilizing LoR will best be accomplished by ripping out all non necessary models (ethnic models) and revert everything possible to BtS. Then add back in ethnic art over the next week or so to release a full version that is properly tested.

Nevermind....

Not the very latest stuff you uploaded. I haven't gotten into that yet.

See above, I edited in my next development plan. I think it'll be best to just rip out all ethnic art for now, revert to the default BtS CityLSystem and ethnic unit art, and release 0.9.5 in LoR-light form only. Then over the next week we can go through adding back in the ethnic models style by style, and makes sure we test every model. This is the only way I think we can stabilize LoR at this point, or rather it's the most sensical way.

The increased slow down may also be caused by a bug in CvPlot introduced in the 2.50 release of RevDCM. There is a new assert failure in it, that I think may be taking a while to resolve. I've reported the assert, but who knows. It's also quite odd I'm the one reporting this, as there are many mods that use RevDCM as a base, so this assert will be happening in all of them. But I don't think many other mod makers use Debug dlls, so they may not be aware of it.

The increased slow down may also be caused by a bug in CvPlot introduced in the 2.50 release of RevDCM. There is a new assert failure in it, that I think may be taking a while to resolve. I've reported the assert, but who knows. It's also quite odd I'm the one reporting this, as there are many mods that use RevDCM as a base, so this assert will be happening in all of them. But I don't think many other mod makers use Debug dlls, so they may not be aware of it.

That DebuggDLL is pretty cool, lets me see my mistakes before hand. Except it does slow me down when Im not worried about errors. Guess I shouldnt have overwrite my old one.

For the taking out of the ethnic stuff, I can make a seperate art defines for each civ, in preperation for readding/testing. But the CityLPlot is a little different. Im not entirely sure how that thing works. i guess I could make a seperate file for each of the civs. Im thinking that most of the problems there are with the city art though and not so much the buildings.

I'm going to play a bit more of this game. And then move onto making LoR light in a couple hours. I really don't think it'll take too long to do. Once LoR light is released, we can start reimplenting a full version with ethnic unit and city art, the best method to this is certainly up for discussion. The main thing is each model will need to be tested. In my oppinion the best way would be to start implementing art in style blocks. Starting with Unit art. So we'd start with ARTSTYLE_AMERICAN, add all those units to the artdefines, and add in that artstyle to the ethnicUnitArt file, then load up a game with the Americans and test each unit. Testing each unit will be a pain, because it means we'll need to start in the ancient era, and use world builder to add techs and keep making sure selecting the unit to build in the city screen causes no problems. Then if selecting it for build works, we'll need to place the unit using WB to make sure it gets on the map right. Going through this for each model will be a serious PITA, but at this point I think it's necessary. Anyway we'll get to that once LoR light is released. Testing the City Art will be similar. Go through and begin adding the CivArtStyle, style by style. this will get simpler as we add styles, since the city art shares alot of models across styles.

Do you want to keep the basic structure of how the art defines is right now? All axes together and so on. Or would you want to just keep each artstyle together?

Also I kinda figured out how to make freeze nifs. It is more of a pain than I wanted but it works because most custom units are made in bits and pieces connected to bones, so when the bones go you have to re rotate all those pieces. And that can be and enormous aggravation sometimes. Rotation matrices are the most ******ed thing ever devised.

Ships and planes will be pretty easy as they dont bend and such, so you can just delete the bones and thats that. But the Humans will be the ones that are harder as I will have to import them to 3ds max, then fix them in nifviewr, and then do it 3 more times. So I wont have that ready any time soon.

Do you want to keep the basic structure of how the art defines is right now? All axes together and so on. Or would you want to just keep each artstyle together?
I haven't thought about it. What would you prefer, ArtDefines seperated by artstyle, or unit type?

Also I kinda figured out how to make freeze nifs. It is more of a pain than I wanted but it works because most custom units are made in bits and pieces connected to bones, so when the bones go you have to re rotate all those pieces. And that can be and enormous aggravation sometimes. Rotation matrices are the most ******ed thing ever devised.

Ships and planes will be pretty easy as they dont bend and such, so you can just delete the bones and thats that. But the Humans will be the ones that are harder as I will have to import them to 3ds max, then fix them in nifviewr, and then do it 3 more times. So I wont have that ready any time soon.

The core art will only need freeze nifs for units that aren't ethnic types (core models that must be in LoR light, this will make LoR light playable in no animation mode). So mainly the Pathfinder and Special Forces for humans, the rest are all machines right? Oh there are some UUs that would need freeze nifs as well, like the Halberd, and Ronin, so yeah quite a few. I think overall though most of the freeze nifs that would be needed for LoR light would be steamship navies and other mechanized unit models for added unitclasses.

I haven't thought about it. What would you prefer, ArtDefines seperated by artstyle, or unit type?

I was asking you!:p I dont really care as the CTRL-F works just fine when Im looking for something. I only asked because VD has it as each civs units are together. But I like it going to axeman and then all my ethnic axeman are following it.

But since we are doing it one civ at a time, then it will be much faster to just have it as blocks of art types. Instead of: copy axeman_american art defines find other axeman art defines, then paste, then have to do that 20 more times. One copy paste for each civ sounds like more fun.

OK, I'm going to start working on LoR light now. Don't know how long it'll take, maybe a few hours maybe a few days. Once LoR light is done and released we can figure out how to start adding in the ethnic art for a full version.

I lowered the graphics to medium and it is running smoothly so far. It's a great mod and it serves it's purpose well. When is that update I saw mentioned above coming out?

Edit: It crashed again in the Industrial age. Fortunately, I saved the turn before it crashed. I'm not quite sure why it happens, it has never happened with any other mods or scenarios. My graphics card hasn't ever done this to me before either. Is it simply the card being overloaded, or are there other sources of error that I could correct? Regardless, thanks for the info you guys have given me.

I lowered the graphics to medium and it is running smoothly so far. It's a great mod and it serves it's purpose well. When is that update I saw mentioned above coming out?

Edit: It crashed again in the Industrial age. Fortunately, I saved the turn before it crashed. I'm not quite sure why it happens, it has never happened with any other mods or scenarios. My graphics card hasn't ever done this to me before either. Is it simply the card being overloaded, or are there other sources of error that I could correct? Regardless, thanks for the info you guys have given me.

Hmm. Industrial age seems more appropriate to start getting these MAFs. But still they shouldnt be that frequent. Are you playing large or huge maps?? And do you have the Blue Marble on or off?

Also what other mods have you played that ran fine? If they are some of the other mods that have huge amounts of ethnic art, then it would be cause for concern. Since this one should be one of the most efficient, large amount of art, mods. If it is a mod where there is no ethnic art then I would say that would be part of the answer. Still, the hardware requirements for LoR arent much more than regular BtS, so its a bit puzzling. I would really like to know what is going on with your game, so you can actually enjoy playing it.

Top Bottom