Really Advanced Setup

Civilian and Military units ARE being placed on the same tile by the mod - if the mod is placing the units. When the default units are used then the game places them as usual.

It's funny that you should mention City States. I was just debating on adding a "Armed City State" option where City States start with a few units. It would probably be something simple like a click box to enable it, along with a slider with values from something like 1 to 3 units. I could make the unit type user selectable but it might be better to just make it automatic. Where the unit type would be the wimpiest melee unit for the starting era. Maybe include a ranged unit.

I'm not totally sure if it's a good idea because it might cause the opposite problem - where to many AI Civs don't get their first city, but I'll try playing with it and see what happens. Maybe I can make some more improvements to the AI's combat ability when conquering it's first city.

If no other bugs are reported I'll probably release a version 3 that will include the ability to change the human player's starting bias, would have the beta status removed, and will be available on Steam. Then I'll look into the "Armed City State" idea.

I'm also thinking of making a separate "Game-Play" mod that would include the luxuries idea plus other things (maybe the barbs idea). If I do that I'm going to look into the possibility of have Really Advanced Setup mod automatically detect if my game-play mod is installed. If it is then Really Advanced Setup mod would add an extra panel that could be used to change the setting in my game-play mod before the game starts. That would be the best of two worlds. The user could use the RAS mod by itself if they are using other game-play mods or they could use it with my game-play mod and be able to turn things on and off before the game starts.

If I do that I'm going to look into the possibility of have Really Advanced Setup mod automatically detect if my game-play mod is installed.

You need the GUID of the mod and will want to set a reference in RAS to that mod (to make sure it loads first)

Code:
function IsModActive(sModID, iModMinVersion)
  for _, mod in pairs(Modding.GetActivatedMods()) do
    if (mod.ID == sModID) then
	  return (mod.Version >= iModMinVersion)
	end
  end
end

-- Example
if (IsModActive("2b785940-9838-4c64-b76c-20e5d6f97024", 1)) then
  -- Mod is active, do something useful
end

Thanks for the info whoward69. I'll probably add the check for the game-play mod to a ShowHideHandler in RAS that way the game-play mod will definitely be loaded (if it's going to loaded at all).

Ok... There is a difference from the 1st and the 2nd...
After the 1st turn:
Gold (5000), Culture(5000), and Science(10) increase to the max.
Thats the good news.
Odd news...It still increases of another 5000 and such for Gold and Culture as same for science of its 10. I can't say its good or bad news lol. I'm happy for the gold and science... Culture takes awhile but not anymore... As for the increase the plot of working titles remains to be 3.
I hope this info helps

Heres the Lua.

Attachments

• Lua1.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 195
Thank you for the feedback Mars83.

Unfortunately the section of code that is used to hand out the player's gold etc. cannot generate error messages (it's a limitation within the game). I thoroughly tested the vanilla version of that code with my Gods & Kings version of the game and found no problems. I'll check that code again and also check around to see if there is another limitation in vanilla that's causing the problem. If not I'll create a bunch of debugging statements for version 3 to help track down the problem. We can't have you receiving 5000 gold every turn that would make things to easy. ;)

As far as increasing the working tiles for a city - this mod doesn't have that feature. You must be thinking of another mod.

I did find a generated error in the log file that you sent. It had to do with some code that was trying to find the leader for a civilization. Did you have any civs or leaders added to your game by mods? If so did you remove them after using my mod then start my mod after that? There should normally be nothing wrong with doing these things - I'm just trying to track down the problem.

Edit: Judging by another error statement in that file the resource pull down menu in the edit player screen should have been empty for you (and anybody else playing vanilla) - that will also be fixed in version 3.

They weren't that many land units for a Renaissance start: 3 Settlers, 3 workers, 1 Knight, 2 Levies, 2 crossbows, 1 Arquebusier. But okay, I get that. It's a shame civilian and military units can't be placed on the same tile though.

Not sure if goody huts on/off are more gameplay than "start without settlers" type of thing, but okay ;)

Having played one advanced start now, I have one observation that City States seem to get conquered quite fast in advanced starts. Seems they just have no chance with no starting units against the AI civs. So I'd love the option of giving them a unit or two on start as well.

Otherwise I just have to say again how genius this mod is. :goodjob:

Whenever two mods change the same game file it is possible to cause a conflict depending on the type of file. I would have to change one of those type of files in order to make later goody huts optional. I'm trying to change as few files as possible so that "game play" mods have a better chance of working with my mod. If I create my own "game play" to coexist with my RAS mod I'll add the later barb and goody hut options to that mod.

Edit: The file I would need to change would actually affect map script modders but the same principle applies.

Thanks to some help from whoward69 the problem with the repeating bonuses for vanilla users has been tracked down. That fix will be in version 3.

I just posted version 3:

Added the Change Civilization's Starting Bias option. This option is only available for the human player. It is not available for random civilizations or when the Start Bias Disabled game option is active.

All known issues have been fixed.

I added the mod to the Steam workshop. Please excuse my steam user name. It was used to express my thoughts about Steam many years ago when I was forced to use Steam after buying a game called Half-Life. :mischief:

There is also a link for directly downloading the mod if you prefer. It's at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Thank you for the feedback Mars83.

Unfortunately the section of code that is used to hand out the player's gold etc. cannot generate error messages (it's a limitation within the game). I thoroughly tested the vanilla version of that code with my Gods & Kings version of the game and found no problems. I'll check that code again and also check around to see if there is another limitation in vanilla that's causing the problem. If not I'll create a bunch of debugging statements for version 3 to help track down the problem. We can't have you receiving 5000 gold every turn that would make things to easy. ;)

As far as increasing the working tiles for a city - this mod doesn't have that feature. You must be thinking of another mod.

I did find a generated error in the log file that you sent. It had to do with some code that was trying to find the leader for a civilization. Did you have any civs or leaders added to your game by mods? If so did you remove them after using my mod then start my mod after that? There should normally be nothing wrong with doing these things - I'm just trying to track down the problem.

Edit: Judging by another error statement in that file the resource pull down menu in the edit player screen should have been empty for you (and anybody else playing vanilla) - that will also be fixed in version 3.

I did not turn on any other civ mod in that game. Only one mod and that was yours.

as for the working plots there no other mod for it as many can't get it.

I had 4 leaders:
Washington, India, England, Russia.

Thanks to some help from whoward69 the problem with the repeating bonuses for vanilla users has been tracked down. That fix will be in version 3.

I was almost enjoying it lmao...

The latest lua...still playing though. the placement visablity works

The extra bonus's is fixed... I'll update this post if i found something...

Attachments

• Lua1.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 115
as well as a option for turning on good huts in later eras

If you mean you want Goody Huts to appear if you set the starting era to be Medieval or later, that just needs a simple XML-only mod to change the value of NoGoodies in the Eras table

If you mean you want Goody Huts to appear if you set the starting era to be Medieval or later, that just needs a simple XML-only mod to change the value of NoGoodies in the Eras table

Yeah, it just occured to me that it might have been a simple misunderstanding issue. I know where to change them in the xml and have done that for myself. Only I had been changing these things to set values instead of the slider (and other options) available here. That's much neater ;)

So to be clear, I was referring to an option to toggle Goody Huts at advanced starts off or on, not that they spring up in the fog like barbarians do.

I may be wrong. But I think it takes more than a xml change. The game code uses GameInfo. to access things. So to to make it an option would require lua.

I just uploaded version 4:

Fixed the problem where sheep where sometimes placed on water tiles.

Re-enabled the ability to rename your civilization.

Added the ability to rename the AI Civilizations.

The Edit Name button is located in the Edit Player panel.

The new version is available in the Steam Workshop.

There is also a link for directly downloading the mod if you prefer. It's at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

I just uploaded version 5:

Fixed the situation where the increased starting visibility allowed you to always see what was happening on those plots even with no friendly units around.

Fixed the problem with the AI not using free techs. The AI now uses free techs but you will have to start a new game for that to happen.

This version should be compatible with saved games from version 4.

The new version is available in the Steam Workshop.

Is there any reason this mod should not be working for me? I've got Win7 with G&K installed. I can enable the mod from in-game, yet it produces nothing at the setup screen other than the stock screen.

I've got no other mods running and have not altered any game files.

Thanks

Is there any reason this mod should not be working for me? I've got Win7 with G&K installed. I can enable the mod from in-game, yet it produces nothing at the setup screen other than the stock screen.

I've got no other mods running and have not altered any game files.

Thanks

When you get to the set up screen did you click on the "advance" button near the "Start game" button?

The [Mods Browser] Next -> Single Player -> Setup -> Adv Setup button? Or did you click Back from the Mods Browser screen first? (the latter does NOT start a game with mods enabled)

Top Bottom