Poland strategy guide

"allways make sure that before a grow occurs u free a high prod/no food tile city can grow to"

Yeesh. As obsessive as I am, that's too much micro-management even for me. :lol:

I can see how that would, in the long run, net you a lot of hammers. Blech though. My games play slowly enough as it is. ;)

Each of my civ games always have taken me 20-35 hours to play (over a couple of weeks) - which is why I don't play all of the time. It's not just micro-management but paying attention and logging all key details. It's the Anal Retentive way of playing. :lol:

Pretty much the only time I go production focus is when building settlers.

This doesn't even maximize production in my experience. I think it still tries to prevent food from going negative. Although, IMHO that's an exploit anyway, but nonetheless. :p

Correct. Production focus was not the right term. I do manually assign citizens to shorten the settler build time, which usually means nominal starvation.

Hoi guys, first time poster.. but I've been around for some weeks reading bits and pieces here and there.

This thread made me have ago at Diety way earlier than I thought I would - after just a couple of Emperor and a couple of Immoral games behind my belt. I downloaded the savefile and fired it up to nights ago. I'd already mixed trad/liberty for some games, interesting take here on getting Monuments up in 4 cities before hitting Legalism, havent really gone down that road before. This also forced a four cities NC.
Sounded interesting and I'm gonna try it out for the next couple of games I do.

At my first try I got literally wiped of the map right after planting my last city, with Oda coming towards me with more troops than I'd ever seen :O So I dug myself down in front of my computer for a re-run, this time with a little more of whats coming in thought.
I know this is not a real diety run, since I've both seen screenshots and read the discussions bout it, and restarted. But I found it to be a good first Diety try since I had something to compare with after.

Started with that in mind to survive as long as possibly, didnt even consider victory. Djenghis attacked early, lots of troops and long lasting but I fought him off - he started it way to early to get use of his Keshik in first couple of attack waves.
I later practically did what I could to not be attacked by Oda. Had the chinese after me the whole game, they where also the major power all game.

Was kind of surprised when I hit 3 factories first(!). I somehow managed to win on science at turn 312, where I could have shaved of several turns if I'd actually gone for the victory a little sooner :p By the time I fired the last part two or three other civs had five parts in the air.

Firstly I'm surprised of how much money I had access to, I've never seen so much in play before.. I was swimming in it. Guess thats what you get for having rich AI-neighbours.
Secondly, I ended up having the largest army I've had since balancing beeing attacked [just waiting for them to come] the whole game.

And then, the good part; most of my games are becoming click-fiests the last 1/3 of the playtime, where the victory almost always are safe/decided.
But here in Diety, it was exceiting the WHOLE TIME this time around. Every turn had me focused, ready for things to happen. I didnt get sloppy in the end as it kept me on my toes. Also the pressure in the beginning for city spaces was a rush compared to on lower level. Amazing.

The only thing I'm at fuss with is that I managed to pull this of with very very little city micro-managment, since I'm not really sure what to do there yet. And that also goes for the GP.. room for improvements.
Edit: For the first time put productionfocus in my cities as a baseline.

Thanks for this guide, and for letting it be my kickstart at Diety long before I where meant to bump up ;)

And... in a couple of GOTM-games (just found that section!) I'm looking forward to really test Diety - without playing on a uploaded savegame AFTER reading about it. Hopefully I will get my ass kicked!

I could add that I'm fairly new to Civ-5. Thankfully I'm still getting better by the game :)
Used to play Civ-I when I was a little kid, and had my hours in Civ-3. Other than that I've been clocking hours on Hearts of Iron and other games.
This time around Civ have really been fun, hope it lasts.

Hoi guys, first time poster.. but I've been around for some weeks reading bits and pieces here and there.

Was kind of surprised when I hit 3 factories first(!). I somehow managed to win on science at turn 312.

Firstly I'm surprised of how much money I had access to, I've never seen so much in play before.. I was swimming in it. Guess thats what you get for having rich AI-neighbours.

Welcome to CFC, and a great first post to kick things off. You're obviously off to a good start, and made Deity sound fun to me for the first time ever!

Wait, what?

Tommy's screen on the first post surely can't be standard speed, unless I've missed anything?

I followed the guide point for point and rolled a perfect start, and I'm around the same no. of turns but with 4 cities around 15 pop each.

Tommy micromanages and min/maxes to the Nth degree. Things he is doing to achieve those city sizes that you might not be doing include: internal food trade routes, allying CS for growth bonuses, probably some wonders, getting farms up faster, carefully planning city locations to maximize the value of civil service, picking religious beliefs that boost growth... Etc.

Those sizes are totally achievable if you're completely focused on growth. Also, this is a Poland specialty... the ability to mix tradition and liberty without disadvantage. Tradition has growth, liberty has production. Combining the two means getting granaries up faster, getting settlers out with minimal stagnation, yet still maximizing growth...

Tommy micromanages and min/maxes to the Nth degree. Things he is doing to achieve those city sizes that you might not be doing include: internal food trade routes, allying CS for growth bonuses, probably some wonders, getting farms up faster, carefully planning city locations to maximize the value of civil service, picking religious beliefs that boost growth... Etc.

Those sizes are totally achievable if you're completely focused on growth. Also, this is a Poland specialty... the ability to mix tradition and liberty without disadvantage. Tradition has growth, liberty has production. Combining the two means getting granaries up faster, getting settlers out with minimal stagnation, yet still maximizing growth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that, but to get science that high AND faith AND growth AND culture just seems wtf. Would need to see a video to believe it IMO, especially seeming as I do ally/micromanage etc, albeit less efficiently.

Well, not every game goes well. Would you post screenshots from your jungle start where there were no good expo spots and you got really unlucky with CS quests? Where you were cut off from meeting CS or Civs by a huge mountain range? Or would you post the one where you got desert folklore/salt/multiple unique luxes/uluru, found a worker to steal on turn 6, didn't run into a barbarian with your injured warrior on the way back.... etc. etc. ;)

I see that, but to get science that high AND faith AND growth AND culture just seems wtf. Would need to see a video to believe it IMO, especially seeming as I do ally/micromanage etc, albeit less efficiently.

its just the concept of civ, that more leads to even more and so on.

f.e. u aly 2 CS fast by doing barb camp quests, now u get enough culture to win the culture race for other CS and aly them and get maybe faith or units that way.
And then u get the free lux and can therefore sell your own lux - and so on and so on.

Also you should "micro" kings day, it allways asks for a lux you dont have at the moment last king days end.
So its often a good idea to sell your last copy of a lux, you can aquire easily, shortly before king day (espacially in cap) ends. Its often also worth paying triple price if really every ai got only 1 copy. Or check consently if the lux get available from a civ allready having 1 copy. AI trade lux with each other too, so u might get it the turn a ai trade ended.

In the game the SS are from I used external caravans, I hardly do nowadays anymore - just MAYBE 1 early external purly for the bakkers not so much for the gold or to fullfill a CS quest.

Food Caravans, espacially Cargos ROCK

Well, not every game goes well. Would you post screenshots from your jungle start where there were no good expo spots and you got really unlucky with CS quests? Where you were cut off from meeting CS or Civs by a huge mountain range? Or would you post the one where you got desert folklore/salt/multiple unique luxes/uluru, found a worker to steal on turn 6, didn't run into a barbarian with your injured warrior on the way back.... etc. etc.

that too, but I found ways to get a pretty consitent good game, espacially for these GOTMs.
lot early scouting is VERY important for that, scouting early into "wrong" disrections is such a huge long run blow, much bigger as a monument or granny 3 turns later.

And I wont ever settle a cap in middle of jungle ...

easier in terms of what?
fastest science win possible? maybe

But for just doing good or winning, continents or archi isnt any harder. Actually even easier as ai is so super horrible at sea fights and sea scouting.

its just the concept of civ, that more leads to even more and so on.

f.e. u aly 2 CS fast by doing barb camp quests, now u get enough culture to win the culture race for other CS and aly them and get maybe faith or units that way.
And then u get the free lux and can therefore sell your own lux - and so on and so on.

Also you should "micro" kings day, it allways asks for a lux you dont have at the moment last king days end.
So its often a good idea to sell your last copy of a lux, you can aquire easily, shortly before king day (espacially in cap) ends. Its often also worth paying triple price if really every ai got only 1 copy. Or check consently if the lux get available from a civ allready having 1 copy. AI trade lux with each other too, so u might get it the turn a ai trade ended.

In the game the SS are from I used external caravans, I hardly do nowadays anymore - just MAYBE 1 early external purly for the bakkers not so much for the gold or to fullfill a CS quest.

Food Caravans, espacially Cargos ROCK

that too, but I found ways to get a pretty consitent good game, espacially for these GOTMs.
lot early scouting is VERY important for that, scouting early into "wrong" disrections is such a huge long run blow, much bigger as a monument or granny 3 turns later.

And I wont ever settle a cap in middle of jungle ...

Yeah, your point is great here. Maximizing the early snowball effect with CS is huge, which makes scouting really important. Also, your king day micromanagement is a step beyond what I do. I always trade away my last copy of a resource if someone will trade lux for lux, so I get more king days than I would otherwise, but I can't usually manage to stay in permanent king days.

I'm with you on the trade routes thing nowadays, I start with external for tech early, and switch to growth pretty soon. The trick is staying happy, and that's where I struggle, but largely that's due to scouting issues.

I really struggle with having enough units early to a) worker steal, b) scout, c) do CS barb quests fast enough to beat the AI to it, d) protect my cities from barbs, e) have my archers in position for a t50-t55 DoW on my neighbor.

How do you do all that AND get settlers out AND get the pyramids built? I can usually do all of the above if I sacrifice scouting, but man, I just can't get enough archers built to do all of the above in a timely fashion. For a science victory, yes, because then I don't have to worry about a timely DoW. But for conquest I struggle. I guess though for conquest you don't need all those king days. :p

easier in terms of what?

But for just doing good or winning, continents or archi isnt any harder. Actually even easier as ai is so super horrible at sea fights and sea scouting.

Agreed, pangaea is only easier for science victory, because you get more RA earlier, etc. etc.

For Domination, naval warfare is so much easier unless you're genghis or arabia. The hardest part about domination is taking the whole map before your units lose their advantage. Camel Archers, Keshiks, Frigates, they all move super fast, and on top of that, with naval warfare, it's much easier to get your troops into position.

easier in terms of what?

Isn't that what a lot of us play for? And there's no maybe's about it.

For Domination, naval warfare is so much easier unless you're genghis or arabia. The hardest part about domination is taking the whole map before your units lose their advantage. Camel Archers, Keshiks, Frigates, they all move super fast, and on top of that, with naval warfare, it's much easier to get your troops into position.

Pangaea is also easier for domination if you're an elite player. A lot of the map is wrapped up with CBs/XBs, and as for the rest, I bet it's faster to research artillery and win without also having to 1) research Astronomy, 2) build a fleet, and 3) send an invasion force across deep water to capture four capitals (at least some with artillery).

DV is also faster with pangaea for the same reason a SV is - the head start you get generating gold, which translates into science. (You play a DV pretty much the way you do a SC.)

About the only VC where pangaea isn't necessarily a bonus is a CV.

I think Domination is easier on continents, assuming at least half the civs are on your continent, because you can wipe out your continent before meeting the other, then trade with the other continent while you tech Navigation, which is way less beaker investment than Dynamite. By the time you capture 3 capitals on Pangaea, people hate you, and you're fighting your way around CS enemies if you're not careful. And you've got range/logistics XBs for the inland capitals after you make a beachhead.

Is it faster than a perfectly executed XB rush? No. But, it's more forgiving, and IMHO usually faster than artillery rush.

Is it faster than a perfectly executed XB rush? No. But, it's more forgiving, and IMHO usually faster than artillery rush.

I think conquering a second continent with XB's would need to be perfectly executed... and have some luck, besides. Is it easier than taking a pangaea with XB's? Someone who's played enough dom games with both maps will have to weigh in.

Agreed, pangaea is only easier for science victory, because you get more RA earlier, etc. etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of having to get Astronomy whereas on Pangaea, you don't until Industrial (if I got my eras right).

I think conquering a second continent with XB's would need to be perfectly executed... and have some luck, besides. Is it easier than taking a pangaea with XB's? Someone who's played enough dom games with both maps will have to weigh in.

I've never successfully taken a standard pangaea with XBs. I've gotten close but had to finish with Industrial Era techs. But I *have* taken continents with XBs/Frigates... maybe my experience isn't a big enough sample size to conclude anything, but continents is easier for me, with the exception of Keshik/Camel Archers.

The only luck involved in continents is not ending up on a continent with only 1 or 2 neghbors, IMHO. If you have to take 5 capitals with Frigates, it delays things significantly, and your chances of needing to take multiple capitals inland goes way up. The other way is actually pretty easy: I've won with 5 AIs on my continent and 2 on the other. Clearing 5 AIs before XBs lose steam is not too hard. It's usually after about 5 that my XB rush attempts have failed. To be honest though, I haven't tried a straight XB rush in a LONG time, and I'd say I'm a LOT better at Domination now than the last time I tried.

The other reason continents is easier IMHO is that you can completely eliminate civs without long-term warmonger penalty. (The other continent doesn't know you did it if you haven't met them yet)

So, you have trading partners until the end... that's a big difference.

Top Bottom