The Immortal Alphabet Game # 11 - Darius I

Puhi

Warlord
Welcome to The Immortal Alphabet Game # 11- Darius I!

The Hatfields and McCoys, Luke and Vader, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. History is rife with long running feuds, but few can match to animosity between Persia and Greece. This game is an opportunity for Persia to avenge their losses to their arch enemy and march towards victory.

Spoiler :

Map Type and Settings
Spoiler :
Pangea, standard everything

Achievements
Spoiler :
General Achievements:
Bad Blood: Completely eliminate Greece by the Ancient (3 points), Classical (2 points), or Medieval (1 point) era
Wonders of Greece: 1 point each for each wonder of Greek origin (ToA, MoH, SoZ, Oracle, Parthenon, Colossus) in your possession (built or captured) by the end of the Classical era
Who Wants to Live Forever: Keep 1 Immortal alive, unupgraded, until the end of the game. 1 point for each promotion.

Domination Victory Achievements:
Get a Move On: Win a DV by the Ancient (4 points), Classical (3 points), Medieval (2 points), or Renaissance (1 point)
Golden Age of Conquest: 1 point for each enemy original capital captured during a GA. If more than 1 capital is captured during an uninterrupted GA (it can be extended multiple times), points are doubled. Example: During an uninterrupted GA, 2 caps = 4 points; 3 caps = 6 points; 4 caps = 8 points)

Culture Victory Achievements:
Cultural Purity: Win a CV without having any non-Persian great works or artifacts in Persepolis (3 points)
Religious Dominance: 3 points for each foreign religion that is completely eliminated (it can exist as a minority religion, but but it cannot be a majority religion in any city)

Diplomatic Victory Achievements (if for some reason you really don't want to go to war):
Iranian Nuclear Negotiations: Build at least one Atomic Bomb and win a Diplo Victory. 3 points. (No points if you use the bomb!)
CIA overthrow of Prime Minister Mosaddegh: Do Not use spies to influence elections or stage coups. Ever. 5 points.

Starting Position:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• IAG_Darius I BC-4000.Civ5Save
    584.2 KB · Views: 99
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was actually persian (I think). It was built for the satrap Mausolus. You might want to change the bonus points to either all wonders between the two civs or just remove the MoH.

Cheers,
- K

So close..
Spoiler :

Took out Greece during a Liberty Golden Age in Classical era which I timed to carry on the natural Golden Age. Alex set up a useless expo in the jungles south of his starting location which set me back from killing the Mayans in the same GA, so only one there.

Wonders: I have MoH, ToA and Oracle so far

The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was actually persian (I think). It was built for the satrap Mausolus. You might want to change the bonus points to either all wonders between the two civs or just remove the MoH.

Cheers,
- K

Well, it was designed by a Greek architect, so I'll call it close enough to count.:)

Domination victory in ancient...?? Is that possible? I guess you can stop the science but still...? Medieval sounds more fair! :)

Probably Huns can pull off ancient era domination, but you will have to be very careful not to get any science.

Probably Huns can pull off ancient era domination, but you will have to be very careful not to get any science.

Huns and maybe Egypt with lots of negative gold maybe. But Persia will be rough to pull off. Interesting to see if somebody makes that happen...

I will try this one but domination in ancient wont happen. Maybe go for some culture stuff instead. :)

Yeah, the DomV era achievements are way too tough. I've managed to change direction enough that I will have very few points, so am likely to do an SV as I haven't had one for a long time. :)

t206
Spoiler :
I went 4 city Tradition, and so blew the GAge points taking Athens. I think you need Liberty, or a 2 city start to get that if you go at him early. He threw up Walls just before I attacked, so it was a royal pain until I finally got 2 CBs. Barbs were horrendous early - I could barely get my 1st Settler to my spot E of Athens. In hindsight, one tile E or SE would have been much better, as the city is a bit short on food. But I love getting right in a jerk's face!

Poor scouting, so I didn't know he was up against a mtn range, so he only planted one city. Then down to Pacal, but again my GAge ended before I took Palenque. Brussels killed off his 3rd city for me, I was boot camping 2 cities for quite a while. He would have given me the port city in peace, but he was spamming Missionaries, so I just kept at war. So no port until very late.

I expo'd 4 E of Tarsus late, but should have been 1 more E, as this city is food poor as well. So I have a nice 7 city Wide Tradition empire going - I think this is the strongest way to play. Full Piety, with Rel Idols, Tithe, Pagodas, Mosques, and Itin Preachers. Faith is through the roof - still no Grand Temple. Pacal got SS, and I took Madate oH for cheaper faith buildings, running the risk of losing a good Reformation. But I got Jesuit Ed, so no worries. 2 in Rat, 4 in Freedom - too bad the FLs are likely to go to waste!

Maria and Cathy have been wonder-whoring like mad - I only managed to get HG and Oracle early, Palenque has Borobudur, Djenne, HS, and SH (!!!), and I got Eiffel and will get Broadway and SoL soon. The wonder set-up made me nix my CV original plan, and I just don't have the interest to go DomV. Plus I already blew the DV points, LOL. So SV it is.

Surprisingly nobody has settled the rich area SW of Athens. Lots of food and resources there. I was kind of miffed to find next to no late strategics in my huge land area - only 7 coal near Athens. I had to waste 2 GGs just to get 6 aluminum, and will blow another to get some more coal possibly. There had better be oil! :D
Spoiler :

t283 DV - 4 points

Found a very wacky "bug": if an enemy sub is in the GBR you can't shoot it! I assume you can shoot from it, so what a cool way to harass an enemy.

Spoiler :
I decided to just end the game early, I had 42/40 votes when the 1st vote came up. Since I pursued so many different VCs I failed to earn hardly any points. :lol: Took out Alex in Classical (2), built Oracle (1), and captured SoZ (1). Totally gapped out keeping an Immortal. Since I didn't think I would go DV I didn't build a nuke, and in fact assigned MProject to my worst production city. Did a bunch of coups as well. I blew the CV early by capturing GWorks from Pacal and Harald - I'm not really sure the no non-Persian Works achievement is even possible if you do any capturing, unless you make sure to fill all spaces ASAP I suppose. Which I didn't, as I saved up GWs and GAs for the WF bonanza. Crushed that and IG, it was pretty silly.

Since my previous post I ran a bit amok - took Copenhagen as it was very hard to keep Cathy happy, so denounced/DOW'd Harald with her and Germany. BFF with Germany most of the game. It was very frustrating never being able to get Maria in any wars until near the end. Cathy came around and even gave DoF for quite a while even after I took out 2 capitals, but after my 3rd and different Ideologies she was demure, but Friendly. She and I took on Maria near the end, I took her 4 cities in just a few turns with RArty. I could have cleared the map in about 8 turns as I just unlocked XComs, but had had enough.

Very strange that both Cathy and Germany went Liberty but did not spam cities. As it was I ended up with only 74 gpt from Tithe. I'm still surprised how different every map turns out to be, even after all these games. I think I'm going to run a Firetuner simulation to see what happens - I assume Alex settles towards Harald.

Full Tradition, Piety, Commerce. 2 in Rat, 9 in Liberty. The combo of TPost spam, Theocracy and Commerce finisher probably made this my best gpt game ever.

I'm interested to see how others play this one out - I am surprised nobody has posted any write-ups yet.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Subs_GBR.jpg
    Subs_GBR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 452
I'm a bit late to the party since I was working on my map, but I just realized something that might be interesting for that map.

If you are going Liberty, you could get a natural GA + Representation (last policy) + Liberty finisher (Great Artist) for a total of 42 consecutive turns of Golden Age. With Chichen Itza, it could go to 56 consecutive turns, but that wonder always gets snatched fast.

Not a particularly fast domination victory and it could've been faster but I wanted to wait until industrial to get higher number of GA turns from ideology (freedom's universal suffrage).
Spoiler :

3 city Liberty initially, proceeded to capture Athens, then rush Petra with Liberty finisher GE for strong city able to pump out many wonders. One of these cities used to forward settle Alex so that he can't plant more than one expo, also used to benefit from Mt Kilimanjaro. Other expo on coastal spot north of start. Pantheon from gold/silver, got religion with pagoda and faith from wonders, was able to eliminate all but 1 other religion (Portugal's was the only surviving religion at the end)

General Achievements:
Bad Blood: Completely eliminate Greece by the Classical (2 points) era. Turn 98 captured Athens, eliminated by T103

Wonders of Greece: 1 point each for each wonder of Greek origin (ToA, MoH, SoZ, Oracle, Parthenon, Colossus) in your possession (built or captured) by the end of the Classical era. 3 points (ToA, MoH built in Persepolis, Oracle from Palenque)

Who Wants to Live Forever: Keep 1 Immortal alive, unupgraded, until the end of the game. 1 point for each promotion. Level 6: 5 points. Used to capture almost all cities, very useful during GA especially with the Altitude Training promotion.

Get a Move On: 0 points, didn't bothered to delay tech to get points here.

Golden Age of Conquest: ALL capitals captured during GA, and more than 1 capitals with each GA. 14 points

GA#1: T92 - 122. Natural (15 turns), extended by Liberty's representation (15)
Captured Athens (T98), Palenque (T119) Classical era.

GA#2: T149 - 176. Great Artist (12 turns), extended by Aesthetics's Flourishing of the Arts (15)
Captured Copenhagen (T150), Karakorum (T159), Moscow (T174) Renaissance-Industrial era.

GA#3: T204 - 249. Moscow contained Chichen Itza, and also with Freedom's Universal Suffrage, now GA lasts much longer. Great Artist (20 turns), extended by GE rushing Taj Mahal (25)
Captured Lisbon (T214), Berlin (T228)

Total: 24 points

Spoiler :

Quite a messy game it turned into. Achievements:

Spoiler :

Bad Blood: Completely eliminate Greece by the Ancient (3 points), Classical (2 points), or Medieval (1 point) era 2 points in Classical

Wonders of Greece: 1 point each for each wonder of Greek origin (ToA, MoH, SoZ, Oracle, Parthenon, Colossus) in your possession (built or captured) by the end of the Classical era ToA, MoH, Oracle, so 3

Who Wants to Live Forever: Keep 1 Immortal alive, unupgraded, until the end of the game. 1 point for each promotion.0 because I forgot, I had one Pike doing nothing all game

Get a Move On: Win a DV by the Ancient (4 points), Classical (3 points), Medieval (2 points), or Renaissance (1 point)0 points
Golden Age of Conquest: 1 point for each enemy original capital captured during a GA. If more than 1 capital is captured during an uninterrupted GA (it can be extended multiple times), points are doubled. Example: During an uninterrupted GA, 2 caps = 4 points; 3 caps = 6 points; 4 caps = 8 points)1 capital = 1 point

Culture Victory Achievements:
Cultural Purity: Win a CV without having any non-Persian great works or artifacts in Persepolis (3 points)0 points because Mayans had one GW when I capped
Religious Dominance: 3 points for each foreign religion that is completely eliminated (it can exist as a minority religion, but but it cannot be a majority religion in any city)0 points Couldn't suppress fast enough

Diplomatic Victory Achievements (if for some reason you really don't want to go to war):
Iranian Nuclear Negotiations: Build at least one Atomic Bomb and win a Diplo Victory. 3 points. (No points if you use the bomb!)3 points
CIA overthrow of Prime Minister Mosaddegh: Do Not use spies to influence elections or stage coups. Ever. 5 points. [/B]0 points, I forgot

Attachments

• goldenpersia.jpg
    goldenpersia.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 158
Based on ST412's write up, if allowed to get culture victory achievements despite winning DV, I should get 9 more points from eliminating 3 religions.

Religious Dominance: 3 points for each foreign religion that is completely eliminated (it can exist as a minority religion, but but it cannot be a majority religion in any city)

Yeah I think you should. I don't really care either way, the map creator should make the call

Spoiler :
Very interesting game. I like Persia for early war. The 3 movement points make a big difference early. Immortals are really good, especially with the March promotion and some Medics. Also, I found out that Scarchers with the Altitude training promotion can move up to 6 tiles during a GA under optimal terrain, quite fast especially during the early game (got 2 of them this game).

I would have preferred however to spawn in the middle of the Pangea. It would have made the Classical era achievements more attainable. In my game, I never built a Library (some puppets might have though) and I was 'forced' in the Medieval era just after moving past Russia. Russia (with Great Wall) and Germany had both built 2 Greek wonders and there was no way I could get at them both during the Classical era. A bit of bad luck on my side, but spawning in the middle could have resolved it.

General Achievements:
Bad Blood: Completely eliminate Greece by the Ancient (3 points), Classical (2 points), or Medieval (1 point) era
I went 2-city Liberty. I forward settled Pasargadae near Athens / Kilimanjaro. This however seems to have prompted Alex to build a lot of units. He had the military lead when I attacked him, so I went on the safe side and added some CBs with my army of Immortals. Alex seems however to have been very well liked by the other AIs. I got 4x denunciations right after taking Athens, then got DoW'd by Pascal right after eliminating Greece, followed by a double DoW from Germany and Russia. Everyone went for peaceful Tradition / Piety (even Genghis) and seemed to be very anti-warmongering.
Took Athens T70
Eliminated Greece T80

Wonders of Greece: 1 point each for each wonder of Greek origin (ToA, MoH, SoZ, Oracle, Parthenon, Colossus) in your possession (built or captured) by the end of the Classical era (4 points)
Parthenon from Palenque
Hard built SoZ, because nobody went Honor
MoH and Oracle from Moscow
(Berlin had ToA and Colossus)

Who Wants to Live Forever: Keep 1 Immortal alive, unupgraded, until the end of the game. 1 point for each promotion. (7 points)
Lvl 8 Immortal with 7 promotions. Always used the same Immortal to draw city fire near an Immortal with a Medic promotion. I left it near a low defense Portugal city near the end, because the Combat Strength of the German cities was really high.

Get a Move On: Win a DV by the Ancient (4 points), Classical (3 points), Medieval (2 points), or Renaissance (1 point)
As I said previously, a win in the Classical era might have been possible if the starting location was in the middle of the pangea.

Golden Age of Conquest: 1 point for each enemy original capital captured during a GA. If more than 1 capital is captured during an uninterrupted GA (it can be extended multiple times), points are doubled. (11 points)

GA#1: T101-128 Liberty Representation (15) + Great Artist from Liberty finisher (12)
T101 Copenhagen T112 Karakorum T120 Palenque (taken with 2nd army, had Chitchen Itza) (All during the Classical era)

GA#2: T147-167 Natural GA with Chitchen Itza (20)
T147 Moscow (during Classical era)
T159 Lisbon (during Medieval era)

GA#3: T173-175 Natural Great Artist (16)
T175 Berlin (during Medieval era)

Civ5Screen0021.jpgCiv5Screen0022.jpg

Top Bottom