Has anyone seen a game changing random event?

there is nothing totally game-changing but there is a lot game-affecting, for instance I have had events that have both increased and decreased the rate at which I can research - which affect building things and which has cost me the building of a wonder by a turn or two without the decrease I would have built it first.

A barbarian uprising of swordsman destroyed Justinian (he had three cities), but he had already had lost one city to raging barbarians and he wasn't garrisoning his cities (CG3 archers out wandering around).

My very first online game in Beyond the Sword, as greece, my neighbor was sumerians, he got the random best axe in the world event, and his axemen got free shock, so I had to face vultures with 50% vs melee, not very good for my first time online.

Lost 2 cities but overwhelmed him with the help of a neighbor.

From drydocks (was at war): a noted admiral made contributions to my city, which let me buy a military academy for about 200 gold.

From castle (was not at war): a top ranking military official joined my city as a military instructor/great general.

If you're not sure how these events changed my game, please direct all inquiries to my vassals.

I had one that was rather game changing. I had been invaded by a neighbor while most of my military was fighting a war on another continent. In poured huge stacks of Cavalry and Riflemen.

Just a few turns into the invasion I get an event that says my enemy has been especially kind to my wounded soliders, treating their wounds and setting them free.

I had a choice of "Good, send them back in to fight again" which would have no game effect or something about how this might be a sign of good faith on their part, which increased our relations by 1 and brought immediate peace.

That saved my butt for sure.

I've had the build a naval task force quest, the build harbors and caravels quest, and the build 10 or 12 swordsmen quest. The promoted swordsmen captured 2 civs.

Another nomination for game-changing was the humanitarian wounded gesture - allowing me to negotiate peace with Monty ( he refused to talk before) , rather than dragging down my economy fighting him to the death at that time.
On a side note- I took Seattle as my price for peace. I gave it to my vassal , Hattie. Much later the Apostolic Palace ( I built it and was leader of the Buddhists ) voted it to George against our will.

Interesting one i had was 1-3 rounds from putting out chariots in 5 different cities then got a livestock event that wiped my one and only horse pasture. :eek:

Put a little damper on my chariot defense to the barb axemen (previous event) that were shredding up my stuff... :mad:

A one two punch from the ol' rng...

I'm playing a game where my musketmen get free Pinch I promotions. While nice, the fact that I'm Ethiopia and my musketmen are orromo warriors is ridiculous :p

Drill IV, Pinch I right off the bat, hell yes thanks. You can be sure I spam made a bunch of those.

Is it true that there are natural disasters??

i thought i heard that but i have not heard it reported yet. Like a Tsunami or Hurricane or something like that...

I think that would be a cool thing to recover from and maybe a cool feature wuold be if it was late enough in game and you had research satelittes you could evacuate and barricade the cites and lower your losses.

Now that would be cool

Is it true that there are natural disasters??

i thought i heard that but i have not heard it reported yet. Like a Tsunami or Hurricane or something like that...

I think that would be a cool thing to recover from and maybe a cool feature wuold be if it was late enough in game and you had research satelittes you could evacuate and barricade the cites and lower your losses.

Now that would be cool

Hi

yeah there are disasters like floods and hurricanes that can wipe out improvements or buildings or population. And sometimes you get choices. Like I had a "dust bowl" diasater that destroyed a farm and had 2 choices. Pay gold for better farming techniques and just lose 1 farm or do nothing and lose a farm and risk the dust bowl staying and killing off another farm later.

One "disaster" though was kind of neat. During late game when I was going for space race a comet fell out of sky and destroyed a forest. and People paniced "demanding" we get into space immediately and if gave me 5% faster space ship parts production and all Labs added 2 beakers.

Kaytie

I got a free golden age 2 turns after I declared war on an AI. I also got a free Great Person once but I forget which kind it was.

I had a random event, about . . . 25 or 35 turns into the game, where there was a barbarian revolt in which 5 swordsman started coming towards my city. Unfortunately, I was working on Stonehenge and didn't have enough units to really stop the revolt before a lot of damage was done, but I didn't die, just took a lot of difficulties for later events in the game. It actually sucked, a lot!

The 3 main ones I've had from my current game is:

Quest: Horse Whisperer, you are challenged to become more akin to horses.

You are challenged to build 11 stables before you reach the renaissance period or before another enemy beats you to it.

When you do it you either get:

+1 Terrain Movement (I THINK, cant rememeber 100%) to all future mounted units.

16 Horse Archers (I've really managed to do this early, so they're still a decent enough unit to pick off the weaker civs around me)

"You have learned to make your horses work better on the farm" +1 food to stables.

Second one as mentioned was a great artist has been discovered, either have 100% Culture in this city, or have him join as a free Great Artist.

Third one isn't great, but its a "you had a great deer hunting season" event that I keep getting every so often for the same city, pumping up its population slowly.

Nothing world changing.

I completed the horse quest and only got 9 keshiks playing as Genghis.(I chose the military option out of the three).

All my swordsmen(or is it axemen) got shock promotion. Anyway, the war against Alexander was quick and fast. I took down 3 more civs before i got gunpowder

Yeah, got the archer upgrade and holy mountain quest as well. Its nice to have these in, but didn't change the game that much. That is probably a good thing though.

Though mind you, if there would be a really big event that would change the outcome, what would you do? Suppose there is some earthquake / tsunami event that destroys every building in every coastal city? Or worse, remove every coastal city from your (or the AI's civilization). Would you really keep on playing?

This is after all, what got to the Minoans, among others. Would give a whole new dimension tot he Rhyes and Fall mod, I suppose.

Top Bottom