PBEM - Results thread

I had addresed (1) but it was in a post that looked like it was replying to meli.

My problem with it is that your start position is so much more than the 9 initial tiles. You may be on a tiny island surrounded by ocean. You may have only room for two or three cities. None of these things will be clear initially.

In all my 1 v 1 games now, I ask a third party to generate a map and check for obvious imbalance. This eliminates most of the flaws.

OK, I PM'd you Mel.

I am out of this debate for now. I will try to join in the ladder as and when it happens.

How about an all play all tournament of say ten players, each playing 9 games simultaneously.

Just a suggestion of course.

Sometimes the best ideas need recycling ;)

Wow, been away at a client for a day and you guys filled up this thread at staggering pace!!

@Mel, apology accepted, didn't mean to offend you in turn, so apologies for that to you. And I'll be happy to 1v1 with you :)

On all the other posts:
Lets try to start something before things turn ugly between all of us. I never wanted that to result from a ladder proposal.

I can't really see from the posts if there's a preference between the Anarres and Mel points proposal. If all of you can post which point system you prefer I'll start a ladder according to this system.

Lets see how that works for a while ( maybe 2 months) and rediscuss the scoring again after that period. This way we'll have a better feel for the numbers and different level intervals.

I'm prepared to dedicate a part of my website to the ladder and the scoring system. That allows for easier upkeep than editing posts in this thread. Mel, I'll be happy to take you up on your offer to help me with this.

ProPain, why not start a poll as we seem to have discussed this in to the ground.

Options could be:

(1) Simple ladder proposal.

(2) Points based system mel first suggested and I posted some suggested values for, where we all start on the same number of points.

(3) Same as (2), except we start on different points based on current experience. This could use GOTM rankings, Tourney rankings, personal statement of normal difficulty level played, or a combination of any of these.

I think a poll would be best now as there are maybe more people likely to vote than who would post in this thread.

Edit: I think the issue of restarts can either be formalised seperately, or we could just agree that the 2 players in a game decide their restart rules before they generate a game.

Edit2: Maybe I missed some options?

Yay!

Thanks ProPain all friends again now...
I would love to help so count me in...

As for anarres suggestion 3) sounds great with anarres' new improved table.

Just my umble opinion.

Melifluous

From those option I vote 2 (but I still think a simultaneous all play all would be better!)

I'll post a poll (It will be my first one ever!)

@col, I really would like a simul. play but I don't think it's feasable. There will be a lot of time involved when everybody has to play 8 (?? maybe more) PBEM games at the same time. I don't think I can free up that much time from work. And being self employed : freeing up much work time = going broke=starvation :D

@ Propain Yeah - you're probably right.

I would like to propose that all games be set up by trusted third parties. It would eliminate many possible problems and cheats.

ProPain - you set up a poll yet? :hmm:

Just shout if you need a hand, I think mel is also keen to help in some way. I would like to see this decided upon and finalised. :)

Didn't get to that yet. I've been away for a few days and after my return I've been experiencing connection problems

Things are slightly better now, so I'll try to get to it today.

Actually since everyone in the world is now playing Killer 1 v 1,
I propose that we just compare our results against him to work out the ladder positions.

Originally posted by col
Actually since everyone in the world is now playing Killer 1 v 1,
I propose that we just compare our results against him to work out the ladder positions.

:rotfl:

Saves a lot of work. but what do we do when Killer quits civ? OUr whole system will be ruined.

Top Bottom