The Community Deity Game #3 - Ethiopia

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
Welcome to the CDG, I am the caretaker and interim host until further notice.

CDG 3 - Ethiopia a.k.a. Can you make everyone a Rasta

Settings

Spoiler :

Standard speed. Standard size. The map was surely tweaked somehow, expect anything. Designated victory condition is Culture

Map type and difficulty
Spoiler :

NQ Pangaea, Easy difficulty. I think this script defaults to low sea levels and a strategic balance

Starting Location
Spoiler :

Your achievements, as already posted previously:

Spoiler :

1. Have x AI holy cities converted by the end of the game, points scale as follows:

1 converted -> 1 point
2 converted -> 2 points
3 converted -> 4 points
4 converted -> 7 points

2. Use faith to buy at least 3 great people of the same type (that means stockpile at least 5000 by the end) 3 points

3. Finish at least 4 social policy trees - 3 points

4. Make your religion the dominant on the map i.e. have it followed by the majority of cities - 4 points

5. Win both World Fair and International Games - 4 points

Good luck everyone!

Notes:

1. I haven't played a single turn of this map.

2. The achievements were tailored by Grendel and me. I'd say they're balanced for both peaceful and bloodthirsty gameplan.

3. From the looks of the starting location, a straightforward plan would be to test the "super quarries" strategy someone posted a while ago

Attachments

• startrasta.jpg
    startrasta.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 2,114
  • CDG Ethiopia.Civ5Save
    648.2 KB · Views: 336
Hate looking at these maps when I am not in game. I want to move that warrior east and see if there is anything on the coast and then move that settler to the hill on the river. If I stare too long I will involuntarily try to scroll.

Good, at least getting all achievements are possible in this game. However I worry about getting good religion with this dirt, with 4 quarries. Might be good for piety start.

Super Quarry fail x2
Spoiler :
I tried both a Liberty (early free Worker and self-built) and Tradition (15% bonus as 2nd policy) attempt and failed. Liberty game Theo beat me to it by 2-3 turns, so Tradition game I stole her Worker and stayed at war, but USA built it same turn (t37). I don't know if it's possible. I did squeeze in a 2nd Scout, that wouldn't have shaved enough to get a 2nd Tradition Worker though. In the Tradition game a barb came and pillaged my Marble, lost it for 2-3 turns, not enough to close the gap though.

Pantheon-wise, culture from pastures would be extra strong here, but would likely knock you out of the three religious achievements.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=550186&highlight=super+quarries

I've been wanting to get better at Religion, I am glad we are doing one like this. I think it would be better to skip the M.O.H. on the Super Quarry Strategy though because Deity is Wonderfail. But at the same time, it is necessary. Craziness on so many levels...

Pretty sure the "super quarries" strat was posted by somebody who played it on Prince or something. Anyway, would be interested to see if anyone can actually make it work and convert AI Holy Cities. I think you will basically have to sneak up Great Prophets, park them near enemy Holy Cities, and then convert them at once -- otherwise, native religion will ultimately prevail. I was able to passively convert and pressure a Holy City in DCL Arabia -- and in that game I went Piety and had DF, Grand Temple, and Brazilian capital was conquered by America. AI can actually be tricky and surround their Holy City with units when they see your Great Prophet if you have converted their cities before. I don't think I have seen AI inquisitors, but they would make it impossible to convert.

Interesting - I've never seen a double-marble start before. I thought marble had some script written that stops it clumping like the other luxuries.

Think I got lucky w/ a population ruin.

Spoiler :

Probably not advisable...
Spoiler :

Scouting: Send your warrior north north east to start, preferring grassland, meet Milan, grab ruin.
Build Scout, Stele, Worker. Send Scout to warrior East.
Tech Mining. Masonry. Animal Husbandry. Iron Working.
Steal Worker from Byzantium.

Hope I don't end up dying in the next couple of turns here...

Agh! Please put your big images inside a spoiler tag, thanks. You can edit your post.

I tried a 3rd time with Liberty and Pasture culture...
Spoiler :
...and of course MoH doesn't go until t63 (vs 37 twice). I hate how the game hoses you out of wonders.

Interestingly enough, nobody seems to have picked Stone Circles?

I did, but trying to get MoH (on turn 35) made me get the last religion. Somehow still got decent beliefs (Tithe, Religious Community, Religious Centers, Itinerant Preachers).

I just started, T8.

A decent move with Ethiopia is AH first and that's what I did. But I popped the AH tech from a ruin right before it finished. I hate that.

T56 Here is a screen shot as I focus on workers and units.

Spoiler :
I took Open Skies. I dream of 3 more cities in medieval/ren.

Ethiopia are not really top of any of my popularity charts, so I don't think I'll be in a hurry to play this :/

I did, but trying to get MoH (on turn 35) made me get the last religion. Somehow still got decent beliefs (Tithe, Religious Community, Religious Centers, Itinerant Preachers).

You got MoH, but with only 1 city on turn 35, your game looks like OCC. But anyways, I think this stone circle MoH strat is stupid. No reason to even bother with that useless wonder. You need a reasonable number of cities to get 5k faith for the other achievement without something like DF, and also winning IG/WF. So the plan would be to go for the same domination style CV I've been doing lately. Converting capital cities that I own is easy with inquisitors/GPr, I can even completely remove the holy city status. As in usual, having religious domination is the most difficult part of the achievement on deity.

I played til T20ish and started thinking the map was a bit weird before i checked. Not complaining but maybe should include in the OP that

Spoiler :

its an NQ pangea which seems to have Strat balance on and low sea levels?

Played a couple dozen more turns after that and not sure if the AI have been modified as well
Spoiler :

William is settling cities like hiawatha which i dont recall dutch AI having a flavour for.
Also Theo stole stone circles from me :(. she has pagodas and catherdals so prehaps i will abandon the optional quests.

sclb - You and I are thinking along similar lines. I intend to tech towards Artillery.

Top Bottom