The Community Deity Game #3 - Ethiopia

@stormtrooper412
I'll make you an offer: if you can give me several days notice before posting a new CDG, send me the achievements in advance and I'll try and resolve potential issues with and clarify the wording.

Sure. Not needed for the next 2 maps as achievements have been made already and they're pretty clear

Gonna skip this one I think. I played ~200 turns with a 5-city Tradition-Commerce-Rationalism-Autocracy approach, started to kill AIs with artillery around T170 and made good progress. But now I see that it'll take forever to finish and get all the achievements with the turns taking so long. Almost feels like a Time game at this point with the number of cities and micromanaging and it'll only get worse. Hats off to those who have the skill and patience to play for over 300 turns and manage such huge empires on Deity. :)

Slowly evolving recap post.

Spoiler :

Nothing too drastic in the early stages. Stole 2 workers from Theo but made white peace as soon as I saw 1st Cata on the fields. I didn't realise the that size of the map until too late so my start was planned for a smaller one and for a change I thought of a more peaceful approach. The simple kill 1st & sort out the details would've worked much better in this case.
Also an early war with Rome just to please Wu and a similar one against William as needed to prevent his prophets preaching false messages for a while.

T56 2nd religion but by the time I got a missionary out William had made nice spread of his but he was hiding behind CSs and more I had not any contemporary units and the outdated ones including Scouts were trying to block Chinese settlers.

T81 Oracle which was the first sign I was getting somewhere but Chukos appearing two turns later on my border quickly dragged me into reality luckily she was willing to start other wars, with a hefty price but still.
T84 Enhanced, T86 CS which was nice boost for growth as I wasn't struggling with happiness, T98 5C NC and settled 2 more cities soon afterwards.

T104 Education and with JE I was fairly quickly able to buy Unis everywhere. T107 Renaissance for Wu & LToP was gone soon afterwards so I headed for Sistine which to my surprise I actually got. William was taking the religious WWs and Washy & Wu sharing the rest.
Most likely I won the WF because I once again sent Wu hunting when it started and I doubt Washy's interest was genuine either. By this time I was friends with half the world and nicely catching others but Washy who went Ratio, with tech.

T162 Industrial 20 turns after Washy, T169 Liberty finished as 2nd tree after Piety, GE to be used on Louvre T181. It also became apparent that this game wouldn't gave a peaceful solution as Washy was running away on Sci and without William from spreading the achi A would never be met but instead of Arties I was hoping for some oil & GWBs.
The Ideologies started to become a problem. Wu went Autocracy, Washy Order as did William before I took Freedom and all the rest took Order as well - this was Order civs than in my previous games this year combined so I wasn't going to switch no matter what.

T204 Eiffer, T213 Plastics and after a few backstabs and quite a few denouncement I got a triple DoW from Theo, Pacha & Gustavus but nothing major here as all my cities were relatively safe as Theo didn't bring enough melee ships. I still had next to no Army but few well placed meat shields can do wonders against AI. I think Wu was about to join but I managed to keep her constantly in war with Washy apart from few mandatory 10 turn breaks and in a number of smaller wars just to cause some havoc.
After T227 SoL the game started to look more like my usual stuff with healthy wars going on and some nice accumulating every turns. Main issues where still lack of CS allies and even those available to be allies as quite a few got swallowed by whomever. Washy wiped Sweden off the map and Rome's extinction was caused by being hated by everyone.

Not a chance here, Wu proposed, supported & won it.

Double DoW on T263 by Washy & William which was not welcomed as my TRs got wiped off - not that serious on its own but as China was embargoed my options were quite limited. Had to make peace with Monte & Pacha to have at least some.
Will had even smaller Army than I did at this point and nukes do wonders - the downside is the severely hampered movement without roads and Wu resettled the spaces I created by razing some heretic cities - the natural conversion by this stage takes far too long.
T270 Neuschwanstein for money but he happiness never hurt anyone either.

T280 Hubble mainly to prevent anyone else getting it and T287 Internet as I started to gain cultural momentum by GWs from captured cities but the lack of culture was still secondary problem to having far too many cities with heretics.

Spoiler :

Slowly evolving recap post.
I already know I would like some insight as how you got the southern neighbor to give you so much time. I had assumed, from your earlier, post that she was the first to go. But I see is alive and thriving at T311 -- and had launched by then in most of my tries!

(I finally have her gone in my last play, but it still remains to be seen if I can win by CV before someone else launches...)
EDIT: Nope, she was not quite gone, left with a crap island city -- but enough for her to get the last part. :wallbash:

But now I see that it'll take forever to finish and get all the achievements with the turns taking so long. Almost feels like a Time game at this point with the number of cities and micromanaging and it'll only get worse. Hats off to those who have the skill and patience to play for over 300 turns and manage such huge empires on Deity.
I must concur in that it does seem that most of the last several maps have denser than “standard”. It does tend to burn one out!

@stormtrooper412, do either of the maps you have in the queue, not use the NQ Pangaea script? I would like to second the petition for something a little more lightweight!

The southern neighbour was for the most part my friend and after Ideologies my only friend. Also, it she effectively acted as my bank buying most of my conquered cities and the income I used her to start new wars. This also meant that she didn't have any long term DoFs and the excessive number of cities I gave kept her science way down and since I already had flooded her cities with my religion I had no real reason to start a single war with her. She most likely had the idea few times but I sent her to more prosperous lands.

The plan B was to nuke her into oblivion if she ever got close enough to build the last part.

@stormtrooper412, do either of the maps you have in the queue, not use the NQ Pangaea script? I would like to second the petition for something a little more lightweight!

Not sure, but I'm assuming no, the maps that are still to be posted both (I think) use the NQ

Against my better judgement, I decided to finish this game, T297 CV + all achievements

Spoiler :
Went 5-city Tradition, pretty good start and very similar to Persian CDG. Missed Oracle by a couple of turns.
Spoiler :

I was 1 turn late to PP and Theodora founded WC. Somehow I didn't get to make a proposal, Sweden has the player 1 spot here it seems, perhaps they were added in after the map was created. Anyway, Sweden was conveniently eliminated by America so I got to propose WF on the second congress. Forgot to take a screenshot but I won it in a very close race.

I went Industrialization first to get quick Big Ben and factories, then Sci Theory into Dynamite as I unlocked Autocracy and had Mercantilism with Big Ben. Attacked China first as they seemed more dangerous, then Byzantium. Upgraded to Rocket Artillery and took some cities from William and Augustus. Washington finished off the Netherlands, Wittenberg finished off China. :goodjob:
Spoiler The wrath of Wittenberg :

I was best friends with Washington who went Autocracy as well. I captured two holy cities, he got the other two. In the end he was fighting it out with Pachacuti while I completed IG and converted a bunch of cities with prophet spam. Took World Religion too but I don't think it made any difference.

Some endgame screenshots with achievement stuff
Spoiler IG :
Spoiler Religion, Tenochtitlan and Stockholm in the background :
Spoiler Constantinople; Policies and Rome in the background :

Against my better judgement, I decided to finish this game, T297 CV + all achievements

Spoiler :
Went 5-city Tradition, pretty good start and very similar to Persian CDG. Missed Oracle by a couple of turns.
Spoiler :

I was 1 turn late to PP and Theodora founded WC. Somehow I didn't get to make a proposal, Sweden has the player 1 spot here it seems, perhaps they were added in after the map was created. Anyway, Sweden was conveniently eliminated by America so I got to propose WF on the second congress. Forgot to take a screenshot but I won it in a very close race.

I went Industrialization first to get quick Big Ben and factories, then Sci Theory into Dynamite as I unlocked Autocracy and had Mercantilism with Big Ben. Attacked China first as they seemed more dangerous, then Byzantium. Upgraded to Rocket Artillery and took some cities from William and Augustus. Washington finished off the Netherlands, Wittenberg finished off China. :goodjob:
Spoiler The wrath of Wittenberg :

I was best friends with Washington who went Autocracy as well. I captured two holy cities, he got the other two. In the end he was fighting it out with Pachacuti while I completed IG and converted a bunch of cities with prophet spam. Took World Religion too but I don't think it made any difference.

Some endgame screenshots with achievement stuff
Spoiler IG :
Spoiler Religion, Tenochtitlan and Stockholm in the background :
Spoiler Constantinople; Policies and Rome in the background :

Awesome, more spoilers for me to read and make sure I am doing things right!!!

I am at T44 so far and 4 turns from the getting either first or second religion, but I really screwed up my social policy game. For one, I went liberty, and only because I could only steal 1 worker from Hong Kong. I then, on top of taking liberty, took the free worker policy (right liberty, don't feel like looking it up), and then went left to get collective rule. I am almost done with settler 1 and will pump out 2 more to complete 5 city liberty. A little late, thanks to stupid right liberty, at least I can snag a good wonder with the Liberty finisher GE. Maybe Alhambra lol, that effing wonder always goes first!!!

I am wondering if I should go back in time and choose tradition instead. I really feel like that will help more in the long term, but at the same time Liberty has its benefits too, especially when it comes to war. I needed 2 workers immediately to get my Quarries up for stone circles, my timing was insane but it killed my ability to get cities out fast. This wouldn't have been an issue if I was better at stealing workers, I don't know what happened though, they were all so far away and I couldn't get a good angle to snag one. Really having a hard time choosing...

I don't suggest liberty on this map unless you can manage a 3 sided war to block/steal settlers. Otherwise you won't have the space to expand to proper number of cities for liberty. I had 9 cities due to wanting to space the cities extremely close together, but not possible without all the early wars. Even then I always had trouble with the southern neighbor until I killed her off. And if you go liberty, almost always go left side liberty first to get out your expansion. Also, you will probably be behind tech rate for liberty until science buildings are up. Alhambra is difficult to rush due to where it is in the tech path. However it is required if you want to consider having blitz Xcom for late game domination. It's easier to just capture it and build xp building in that city.

I am having no success with this map aiming for CV. Tried peaceful Freedom, then warring as soon as I can with Autocracy, Order, and then Freedom again -- and more than a few tries with each. I just cannot war well and fast enough to stop the southern neighbor from launching. (Well except once, but then the western neighbor launched.)

I am going to try for SV, just to get some closure. It would actually have to be a faster-than-usual SV game for me, so I will try not to feel too bad about it!

I am having no success with this map aiming for CV. Tried peaceful Freedom, then warring as soon as I can with Autocracy, Order, and then Freedom again -- and more than a few tries with each. I just cannot war well and fast enough to stop the southern neighbor from launching. (Well except once, but then the western neighbor launched.)

I am going to try for SV, just to get some closure. It would actually have to be a faster-than-usual SV game for me, so I will try not to feel too bad about it!

In your case, did the AI that launched take rationalism?

I think you have to start warring with artillery in that case and rush flight. Peaceful with any AI that went rationalism wont work as you'll not catch up due to AI bonus and peaceful CV is out of question due to that.

Okay, I can barely get a Science Victory from this map, T306, just three turns faster than the southern neighbor. I had no business trying for CV!

Zero achievements -- and I was trying for a couple!

Attachments

• civ5ss-cdg03-t306-sv.jpg
    civ5ss-cdg03-t306-sv.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 158
I've made it almost 150 turns so far, working hard to pump my cities up and get ready to begin my conquest. I attached screenshots, went 7 city liberty, got 2nd religion by 1 turn, took Tithe and Holy Warriors before realizing I needed all of my faith for Great Prophets. I am not last in everything, but pretty close, my army is horrible and I have no plans on fixing it yet. I made many mistakes, but I might be able to win still. I was going to start with crossbows, but my cities weren't ready yet. Going to get Autocracy with industrialization and then start building Artillary and Anti-air for a late game sweep across the map. We will see what actually happens though, I am playing too mediocre of a game to hope I will actually win. But miracles can happen right?

Attachments

• 2015-12-14_00001.jpg
    2015-12-14_00001.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 184
  • 2015-12-14_00002.jpg
    2015-12-14_00002.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 2015-12-14_00003.jpg
    2015-12-14_00003.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 155
The CDG4 will be pushed to the 17th, due to somewhat technical issue of me being away for the entire day :)

This is technically picking up Beetle's save at turn 179 (Radio) and playing it out from there for a help video, so if you don't want to count it I can live with that.

Spoiler :

Turn 279 SV.

Top Bottom