The Community Deity Game #10 - Denmark

Nice to see a Freedom-oriented Dom VC! I can never get enough Tenets picks from Autocracy or Order, but for Freedom when going for domination, why would you ever need more than five? Good job!

TY Beetle.

I had intended on going Autocracy, but Shaka beat me to it by a few turns. Even with Honor finisher I didn't have enough gold to buy more than one factory.

Those 6 FL's really can come in handy when going to war as they are usually the toughest nuts around at that point in the game. In this game, they were needed as even with 10 upgraded Berserker->Muskets, fighting those two on opposite fronts is not easy. They turned the tide.

Scary part was when my good friends the Incas decided to join in on Freedom well before I had SoL. I did everything I could to rush science and used 2 GE's to build the Wonder so as not to take a chance (if I had a nickel for every time the AI snaked that Wonder out one turn before completion....I'd have a bunch of nickels).

I wanted to try out the Berserkers at least once before Civ6, so I picked this game.

Spoiler :
I had a great game with Denmark, so much that I would rate it among the good civilizations for domination. However, I am not too sure how much of it was dependent to the insane capital location, the map script or the fact that 4 AIs gimped themselves with Piety in this game.

I tried an other illiterate game. I beelined straight to Metal Casting and ignored every other techs (ie I research only the required 11 techs for Metal Casting and ignored Pottery, Writing, etc.) I got Metal Casting on T88. I am not too sure if it is good or bad since I usually never beeline that tech. AIs only started to send me trade routes back at around T75. I am not too sure if researching Pottery, Writing and Sailing would have given me a better time for Metal Casting.

The Berserker may have become my fav early game melee unit. With Disciple (15%), SoZ (15%) and a GG (15%), their CS is around 30 vs cities and later with city siege around 40 which makes them long-lasting units. They are also on the same tech path as Trebuchets which complement them well. Three movement points and no movement cost to pillage are also huge! I never upgraded them to Musketmen as I feel the +3CS isn't worth the loss of their abilities. They will probably become obsolete against Riflemen, but none of the AIs I faced had them in my game. Berserkers also eat impis alive for breakfast. This game, I went for Cover I & II before going for other promotions and city fires felt almost harmless most of the game.

I thank the OP for his choice of achievements for this game, especially the no-range unit achievement. This compelled me to go for Honor and focus solely on Berserkers (and adding Trebuchets later on). I now believe this is 100% the right way to play Denmark and I would not add any range unit to my unit mix if I had the choice to replay that map again without any restrictions. Here, I went 2-city Honor proxy settling my 2nd city near the two silvers close to Russia. I used this city mainly as a base to upgrade my units. I sold all my duplicate luxuries securing a very nice 50gpt very early in the game. I hard-built SoZ and mass produced warriors even after going over the supply cap. With Professional Army and Metal Casting, I then mass-upgraded my units to Berserkers right near Russia's borders.

Sweep order: Moscow, Novgorod (FoY, 9 iron), Tenochtitlan, Cuzco (Great Wall), Ulundi, Gao (2nd army), Constantinople, Stockholm

The fact that both close neighbors (Russia and Songhai) were also very near to ambitious warmongers (such as Monty and Shaka) made the starting wars easier. Overall, only the Zulu had a large intimidating army and Byzantium's Galleass and Dromons were a bit of an annoyance since I had no range units to kill them. With 3 Trebuchets, I still had no problem to take over Stockholm with 55CS since Sweden was still on Musketmen. I also had to hard-build the Pyramids since only the Zulus went Liberty and choose to never built it. I had a lot of units this game and was frequently supply capped despite adding capital after capital.

Achievements
  • Win a DomVC without ever having trained* a ranged unit (3pts)
    Got 1 scarchers and 1 XB CS gift (used them for defense)
  • Keep 10 Berserkers alive to the turn of victory. You can upgrade them, obviously (3pts)
    Finished with 20 Berserkers, none upgraded
  • Each cap conquered before Metallurgy (14pts)
    All caps, never reached Metallurgy
  • Each cap conquered before Replaceable Parts (0pt)
  • Melee attack an inland city starting w/ embarked units (1pt)
    Captured Stockholm with an embarked Berserker

Spoiler :

T162 DomV 21pts
I wanted to try out the Berserkers at least once before Civ6, so I picked this game.
Wow! Nice job!

I thank the OP for his choice of achievements for this game, especially the no-range unit achievement.
You are welcome, but I cannot take credit for the no-range unit goal -- as that was reused from the very first CDG. But I thought it especially fitting since siege units get more of a buff from the UA than do ranged units. I am glad you enjoyed the map!

DanQuayle's writeup was so inspiring I had to give this a try as well to see if Berserkers really are that good.
Spoiler :
They are! I won with a pure melee rush, never built any siege or ranged units at all. I went for a 2-city Liberty/Honor mix: got the worker policy first to improve the Salts quickly (and get Pyramids later for super-workers), then full Honor. You really need a lot of workers as Denmark, no-movement pillaging is great and much more powerful than I expected. The Berserkers just never die once they have Cover and you have Pyramids.

Sailing was my only detour from Metal Casting, I used Cargo ships to quickly grow my two cities, then sent them to Songhai for some science and gold. I prioritized Iron Working to get Heroic Epic up and start the swordsman spam early. Got Metal Casting on T87 or 88 and upgraded 14 swordsmen. Then I built 2 workshops, as they pay for themselves really quickly with hammer cargo ships. Managed to get an additional army up with all this production and sent it to Sweden.

Religion: Earth mother, 100 gold on conversion, faith-buying pre-Industrial units.

Sweep order:
- 1st army: Russia, Aztecs, Inca
- 2nd army: Byzantium, Songhai, Zulu
- 3rd army: Sweden, then help a bit with Inca

Each army was 8-10 Berserkers, a GG and however many workers I could steal. Really fun map, thanks for sharing. :)
20160921180848_1.jpg

Achievements:
Win a DomVC without ever having trained* a ranged unit: 3 pts - only got one scarcher which I gifted to a CS
Keep 10 Berserkers alive to the turn of victory. You can upgrade them, obviously: 3 pts - had 28 in the end
Each cap conquered before Metallurgy: 14 pts
Each cap conquered before Replaceable Parts: 0 pts
Melee attack an inland city starting w/ embarked units: 1 pts - took Gao from the Zulu with a couple of triremes and embarked Berserkers

Good improvement over my game. Getting severely supply blocked all game really hampered me from getting a second army quickly enough. Two cities with cargo ships seem to have fixed the issue for you with no downside (you researched Metal Casting around the same time as me). Also, going for Professional army early was really unnecessary in my game as I had plenty of gold anyway. So going for Liberty worker first was also a good idea.

Christ... every time I see games like this I'm like wow I have to try this but when I do I'm nowhere near as efficient

I am pretty horrible at early-game meme-rushes, so I did the usual artillery routine.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 240
...I did the usual artillery routine.
I don’t think that is a bad choice at all for Denmark. But did you make use of the UA, or did you just move your artillery as usual? How about using NSI as the melee unit to screen your arty? Any nice surprises there?

I wanted to mention in this thread that I posted another great Denmark/Lakes map. Some observations on the UA:
  • Skipping the archery line is too hard. Until Astronomy, the UA only gives three moves, and that is not enough for Catapults/Trebuchet.
  • OTOH, four-move Canons are quite nice!
  • The movement buff to Workers is great. If they start embarked, they can move to a hill/forest and start working the tile that turn.
  • The computer has no idea how to use the UA to buff movement, so you really need to micro-manage the pathing.
  • When the AI gets bombers, ending turns in the water becomes deadly to your units.
  • With roads/rails and higher move units, the UA become less useful for a while.
  • Late game, Marines really shine. They have “defensive embarkation” so the UA becomes useful again on the front lines. Plus, at that point, they will have six (!) move, so they are faster than tanks! With logistics, they can hit and jump back into the water.

Top Bottom