Liberty city size

Well yeah...

Basically I had a problem in a recent game where I built 6 cities, went and captured a few and got to late industrial era, then all of a sudden -30 unhappiness, even with zoos in every city and >8 unique luxuries.

My capital was size 25 or so and the others were around 10-15.

I think I should have stopped growth at some point but IDK how to approach it.

Well yeah...

Basically I had a problem in a recent game where I built 6 cities, went and captured a few and got to late industrial era, then all of a sudden -30 unhappiness, even with zoos in every city and >8 unique luxuries.

My capital was size 25 or so and the others were around 10-15.

I think I should have stopped growth at some point but IDK how to approach it.

Everyone that complains about liberty unhappiness generally complains about it at the same time. "I was at the late industrial/early modern..."

Yeah, that's not liberty, that's ideology pressure. You use your own ideology to prevent that.

Essentially early game you only grow as fast as you can connect luxes. Early-mid game you grow as fast as your religion will allow, and mid to late game you grow as fast as your ideology will allow. So you settle a few cities, most of them will stay 2-3 pop until you start connecting luxes, then they'll hover around 5-6 pop until your religion/CS allies get rolling, then they'll be 10-15 by the time ideology rolls around, and then you can grow to 20-25 in your better cities by the end of the game.

Nobody had got an Ideology yet. I just took a bunch of cities and it made my unhappiness go to 30 after I was around -5 unhappiness from too much population.

Say I make 7 cities before t70. Is it a good idea to cap my growth on those cities to only the good tiles, around pop 4, maybe add a mine or two in to up the production and then let my capital keep growing as much as happiness allows?

Yeah of course if you you plan to do wide liberty (10-20 self found cities) and win by conquest you should keep your cities smaller. As much as local happiness allows basically. So if city has pagoda and colosseum it should have 4 pop. If it has circus in addition to this it should have 6 etc. More depending religion and terrain

Of course you want to keep 1-3 cities that are bigger like capital and if some city has lots of amazing tiles

Top Bottom