A few ideas, suggestions, feature requests

george585

Warlord
Hi!

First of all a Big Thank You for such an excellent mod! Probably the most comprehensive mod for any Civ game I have seen!

I hope it's ok to post a few ideas/suggestions here as a list, instead of starting a topic for each one...

In no particular order:

1. [Great People] Either add Great Diplomat or have Great Statesman be able to force a peace treaty.
2. [Diplomacy] Add a separate agreement to open trade routes with another player. Right now trade requires Open Borders. The issue is that besides ability to open trade routes Open Borders also allows free movement of units which might not be desirable.
3. [Religions] Hopefully all Religions will get their unique Wonders at some point, i.e. Rodnovera, Canaanism.
4. [Cultures] Perhaps all cultures should get Hero units?
5. [Cultures] Maybe when a culture is built it should provide a small bonus (either food, production, or some other benefits - other than just the culture bonus/resource) to the city in which it is built. For example if you build Mongol culture you might get a bonus where Cavalry units get +2 experience points. Or if you build Egyptian culture you get +20% Wonder production, etc.
6. [Cultures] All cultures should provide some kind of benefit (other than 1 culture point from the building) - either Hero, unique unit, or something from #5.
7. [Cultures] Maybe consider their obsolescence? I.e. no Sumer in 2000 C.E.
8. [Civics] Have Atheism and perhaps some other civics remove most of Religious benefits. I.e. does it make sense to have monasteries generating % of science while you are atheist?
9. [Units] Add ability to right-click on Upgrade icon to open relevant Civilopedia entry for the upgraded unit (similarly to how you can do it when you select a unit to build).
10. [UI] Ability to add all (visible) items (in order) in the build list on the city screen to the build queue. It gets very tedious to manually click and wait on every item to add to the queue, especially once you have many of them (the longer the list of items you can build the longer it seems to take per item to add it to the queue).
11. [Wonders] The cost of some newer (in terms of when they were added to the mod) wonders should be reviewed and made in line with the rest, i.e. it's too high: the Almagest, Dali's something, Atomium...
12. [Game Mechanics] Either tweak the xml files or add the game option to basically allow all buildings be built if you have just one city (this is different from forcing you to have no more than 1 city).
13. [Game Mechanics] Add an option to map resource generation (at least for the standard gen) to always include at least 1 occurrence of all resources (i.e. so that no resource is left out from the map).
14. [Game Mechanics] Founding a city on caves should retain that feature, i.e. so that you can build cave-dependent structures.
15. [Game Mechanics] Upgrading a unit does not wake it up / change it's stance (when both the old and upgraded units can have the same stance). I.e. fortified units remain fortified w/o being woken.
16. [AI Problem] Playing a game with a mid-September build AI still seems to be build too many healers and tamed animals (like 5 or 10 times more than they should).
17. [Wonders / Bug] Adam Smith's Company does not display tooltip with actual effects when you select it / add to the build queue. It also opens trade routes to all civs regardless of your diplomatic stance (having open borders) with them. Then it becomes obsolete with Microprocessor and all those trade routes are gone. That is fine. But maybe have World Trade Center have the similar effect - i.e. opening trade routes to all known civs regardless of diplomatic stance?

That's it for now. Though Probably I will add more later.

18. [Gameplay / Major Feature] As an answer to Civ 5 and 6 of sorts add the ability for the environment (access to terrain types, resources, cultures) to noticeably speed up / slow down research of certain techs. Obvious example would be Sailing and access to river/lake/shore. Or Sea Faring and access to Sea/Ocean coast.

1. [Great People] Either add Great Diplomat or have Great Statesman be able to force a peace treaty.

What do you mean - force a peace treaty. The other side can always say 'no'.

3. [Religions] Hopefully all Religions will get their unique Wonders at some point, i.e. Rodnovera, Canaanism.

Actually, the religions are even more unique. Aside from the shrine (the building a Great Prophet can build in the holy city) the religions have unique benefits.

Same as above.

C2C is not a history simulator.

8. [Civics] Have Atheism and perhaps some other civics remove most of Religious benefits. I.e. does it make sense to have monasteries generating % of science while you are atheist?

While I can see the point in this, your civ is not a hive mind - even with religions disfavored they might still be able to work. And certain governments are not above using knowledge that was obtained in a way they disapprove of.

10. [UI] Ability to add all (visible) items (in order) in the build list on the city screen to the build queue. It gets very tedious to manually click and wait on every item to add to the queue, especially once you have many of them (the longer the list of items you can build the longer it seems to take per item to add it to the queue).

There is a way to do that. In the upper left corner of the main screen you see a :hammers: icon - clicking there brings you to a screen where you can define and save a certain queue. After that you can just select the queue (with the picture of the first item in the queue - the position is below the Great Wonders)

12. [Game Mechanics] Either tweak the xml files or add the game option to basically allow all buildings be built if you have just one city (this is different from forcing you to have no more than 1 city).

Since OCC (one city challenge) is not even an option any more (or at least not a visible option), I don't think this will be implemented. This wouldn't be simple to do, and right now (and for the forseeable future) the bug-and-feature-list for this mod is huge.

13. [Game Mechanics] Add an option to map resource generation (at least for the standard gen) to always include at least 1 occurrence of all resources (i.e. so that no resource is left out from the map).

This would have to be done per map type, to be updated whenever a new map resource is added. Besides, certain map resources (that are not yet needed) are not going to be on earth, and there is no working map script for a map that includes moon, mars, etc. Last point, this would mess with certain modmods, and while they are not the concern of the devs here, some modmods are really good and might be integrated later.

Edit: And then there are resources that you gain when you have 2 map resources in the vicinity. Some of these resources are very important. In the TH era (which is of course far from balanced) graphite becomes one of the most important resources.

2. [Diplomacy] Add a separate agreement to open trade routes with another player. Right now trade requires Open Borders. The issue is that besides ability to open trade routes Open Borders also allows free movement of units which might not be desirable.

The Great Statesman is the Great Diplomat. The extensions to diplomacy are on hold at the moment and need some more discussion. The Great Diplomat forcing a truce is up for consideration.

The normal diplomat line of units will be able to do missions to other nations and barbarians improving relations with the diplomat's nation. They may also be able to bribe a stack of units to go attack someone else or even change sides.

This is intended to be done but we need ideas for the wonders etc.

5. [Cultures] Maybe when a culture is built it should provide a small bonus (either food, production, or some other benefits - other than just the culture bonus/resource) to the city in which it is built. For example if you build Mongol culture you might get a bonus where Cavalry units get +2 experience points. Or if you build Egyptian culture you get +20% Wonder production, etc.
6. [Cultures] All cultures should provide some kind of benefit (other than 1 culture point from the building) - either Hero, unique unit, or something from #5.

It is intended that each culture provide 3 of the following
  • hero that can build Achievements
  • hero
  • unique unit
  • unique promotion line
  • maybe some other benefit eg the wonder production you suggest for Egyptian Culture. BTW I have not figured out how to do that as there is no tag on buildings for it that I have found.

The point is to make them balanced for their intended era.

the problem with making them go obsolete or even upgrade is that often you don't get to build the ones you want until eras later than the game expects.

This is a problem, I wanted the Monasteries to provide the 10% benefit until Scientific Method then reduce it to 5% until much later (I forget which tech), where it is reduced to 1% for the rest of the game.

Monasteries still provide some science even in Atheist nations.

11. [Wonders] The cost of some newer (in terms of when they were added to the mod) wonders should be reviewed and made in line with the rest, i.e. it's too high: the Almagest, Dali's something, Atomium...

Those 3 are from Brackenspore's suggestions. I just implemented them as he specified them, I forgot to go back and check that their costs matched the rest in that column of the tech tree.

Some of the older ones were missed in the last review are are too cheap.

This is One City Challenge and that is what it did, ie that game option ignored the requirement for multiple prerequisite buildings. However C2C has a number of buildings that can't be built in the same city as each other, something BtS does not do and we have some buildings that don't allow others in the same nation. Both of those has broken OCC.

14. [Game Mechanics] Founding a city on caves should retain that feature, i.e. so that you can build cave-dependent structures.

I have not figured out how to do that but then it is not high on my to do list.

18. [Gameplay / Major Feature] As an answer to Civ 5 and 6 of sorts add the ability for the environment (access to terrain types, resources, cultures) to noticeably speed up / slow down research of certain techs. Obvious example would be Sailing and access to river/lake/shore. Or Sea Faring and access to Sea/Ocean coast.

Platyping has pointed us in a direction that will allow this, I have some basic code set up. Still to be done include
  • how to show this on the tech tree
  • similarly for the pedia both in the tech and on the bonus

[regarding caves]
I have not figured out how to do that but then it is not high on my to do list.

I assume it has to do with caves being features, which are replaced by cities - a limitation of the game engine that probably isn't going to go away (and working around it might be too much work for such a specific case). Perhaps, like ice(? there's definitely a terrain tile that can't be settled) and swamps (although swamps can be drained once you receive a tech), prevent settling on caves entirely. Although, true enough, this doesn't really make sense since caves would probably be a very natural place for a tribe to first settle.

I assume it has to do with caves being features, which are replaced by cities - a limitation of the game engine that probably isn't going to go away (and working around it might be too much work for such a specific case). Perhaps, like ice(? there's definitely a terrain tile that can't be settled) and swamps (although swamps can be drained once you receive a tech), prevent settling on caves entirely. Although, true enough, this doesn't really make sense since caves would probably be a very natural place for a tribe to first settle.

There are mods out there that leave all terrain features on the plot, eg forest; give the usual plot yields rather than the default city yields; and require any bonuses on the plot to be improved before they are available to the city. I am not sure about the roads though.

I don't recall ever having a map generated with PerfectMongoose310 at Standard or Large size ever completely lacking a map resource. There are a few that are extremely rare (notably Cocoa, Ancient Relics, and Turquoise), to the point where there's usually only a single occurrence of said resource on the entire map, but it's there. I've played far, far more games on Large than on Standard PM310 maps, though, so it's possible my memory is faulty as regarding the availability of all resources on Standard size.

17. [Wonders / Bug] Adam Smith's Company does not display tooltip with actual effects when you select it / add to the build queue. It also opens trade routes to all civs regardless of your diplomatic stance (having open borders) with them. Then it becomes obsolete with Microprocessor and all those trade routes are gone. That is fine. But maybe have World Trade Center have the similar effect - i.e. opening trade routes to all known civs regardless of diplomatic stance?
For the record, it isn't that Adam Smith's Trading Company doesn't have a tooltip, it's that the tooltip goes nuts trying to calculate the actual effect of the aforementioned massive increase in trade routes. Occasionally, I've had it come up with the actual effect (usually on the order of +several thousand :science: ) after a long delay.

While we're on the topic of the WTC, I think there's still some problems with its three random resources. I believe the appropriate possible bonuses granted should be fine now that the various bonus classes are assigned, but in my last game I didn't actually get the bonuses. The messages showed up correctly though. Next time a game gets to Modern era I'll keep an eye out.

On the subject of cultures going obsolete, I think that contradicts our long term plans for building up cultures. But there might be a good argument for Hero units being unbuildable after a certain tech. Unless we are really building Mecha-Nebuchadnezzar in the Transhuman Era.

There are mods out there that leave all terrain features on the plot, eg forest; give the usual plot yields rather than the default city yields; and require any bonuses on the plot to be improved before they are available to the city. I am not sure about the roads though.

I'll have to set that up for the caves at least. Some should only be removed once a particular population is reached. Forests for example.

I imagine it's extremely simple to do, just takes some time to search to see where it needs to be done is all.

However, if I can't get my debug dll to work, I'm going to be hung up on that for a while.

Top Bottom