Whats your favorite (or least) that's changed in civ 5

Scotch0101

Centurion
What is your favorite, or least favorite thing in Civ 5 that has changed since the older civ games?

My Favorite: better art, unit graphics, map focus

Least Favorite: I don't really have one! :)

I don't like the no tech trading either.....I think Firaxis tried to make up for it by putting research agreements on there......but those really don't help me....:mad:

Favorite: 1upt (although I'd probably prefer ~3upt)
Least Favorite: Mhh. The very tall-orientated balance, especially in the earlygame. Nothing's as expanding all over the place, I find Civ5 much more restrictive than it's predecessors.

Favourite: no more nonsense sliders turning gold mines into science farms.

Least favourite: AI taking a major step backwards, so much so in multiplayer that it wanders into traffic.

Favorite: 1UPT
Least Favorite: Not sure. The latest expansion made civ's friendlier and less likely to attack.

Favorite: 1UPT*, Trade Routes, City States
Least: Super-high warmonger penalties, wide-empire disincentives.

*In the future, I'd like a 1UPT variation which allows for 1 unit each of different types (melee, ranged, etc.)

Favorite: City defense and attack ability. Gives a bit of leeway against barbarians if you get rushed super early while your warrior is scouting.

Least: I'll second the cultural border expansion mechanic. No problem with it being based on the culture output of the city. But sometimes the city AI chooses the grassland on a river instead of the luxury I don't have - also on the river...

Favourite: 1UPT, custom-built religions, and the hex grid (so much better than the checkerboard with it's diagonal cheating).

Least: No global view, no culture-flipping and no choice of civics. It's sort-of replaced by social policies, but I really do miss the civics and the 'fine-tuning' of your government style.

Favourite: Hex-grid. No war game should use a square grid.

Least: The slight lag when you hit "end turn". Most annoying near the end of the game where hte wait between turns can take longer than the turn itself.

Favorite- Research agreements in place of the cheesy tech bartering

Least- Combination of 1UP and the lack of the Empire feel.

Favourite: BNW's culture mechanics. Absolutely love it, and I'll still churn out plenty of great works even if I'm not going culture, just because.

Least Favourite: Even by Civ standards, Civ V's AI is just awful. I don't know if I've ever played a TBS with AI this bad. I've played like four or five games and I'm already at the point where I can't bring myself to play anything below Immortal.

The best civ 5 mechanic is the social policy trees that people can choose. Social policies fit the empire your small empires when your empire is small and fit your large empire when your empire is large.

Im not fond of research and wealth only being 25% effective.

The best civ 5 mechanic is the social policy trees that people can choose. Social policies fit the empire your small empires when your empire is small and fit your large empire when your empire is large.

Social policies are a contender for both favourite and least favourite. In theory, they're one of my favourite mechanics. It's a cool concept, and allows you to customize your civ in interesting ways.

In practice, it's a terrible mechanic. An incredible lack of balance means that unless you're trying to deliberately cripple yourself or are pursuing an incredibly specific strategy, there's almost no diversity. If you want to go tall, best SP is Tradition. If you want to go wide, best SP is... Tradition. If you want to play aggressively, best SP is... Tradition. If you want to play peacefully, best SP is... Piety. Haha, no, just kidding. It's Tradition. Full Tradition->Half Patronage->Full Rationalism->Ideology is going to be the single best option 99% of the time. Even if you're going for a Cultural victory, it's debateable as to whether Aesthetics is more helpful than Rationalism. I mean Aesthetics has some cool bonuses, but do they really outweigh being able to breeze your way through to key techs like Radio and Internet?

The only time diversity actually comes into play is if you're Poland and are saying "Huh, what should I do with all these extra policies."

Favored changes:

Hex map. I can't really point to any great advantages of a hex grid over a square grid, other than perhaps that diagonals were better than vertical/horizontal, but I really like the look.

Ideologies. I've long felt that ideologies would be a good addition to Civ, although I imagined them differently. The main thing I like about this implementation is that they lead to conflict in the late game, hopefully spicing up the weakest segment. I'd argue that there's too much overlap between the ideologies, though. I like the Social Policies in general although the argument that Tradition is too strong is valid, IMO.

Religion. Civ 5's one religion per civ is arbitrary, but a change for the better, if only to prevent silliness like players hogging three religions. What I like best are the advantages and flavor provided by the distinct choices. I'm surprised that Desert Folklore hasn't been nerfed, though. Desert starts aren't bad, and don't need to be buffed. I think I might like it if the choices were not exclusive. Getting a good pantheon is mostly luck, dependent on the other civs in the game and how the goody hut game goes.

Trade routes. The illusion of realism wears thin by the late game, what with the leader of a great empire scheduling truck routes, but they're a good revival of a mechanic from Civ 2.

Things I miss:

Stacks. One unit per tile looks good and seems like it could be an improvement, yet I don't think it really is all that good an idea. I know the stack of doom was a developer bugbear for years even if it never really seemed to bother the players. The big drawback to it is that the AI can't hack it. I remember the AI pulling off impressive sneak attacks in Civ 3, something I've never seen in Civ V, even in the modern/atomic eras. If the stack of doom really was an issue, stack limits could have addressed the problem-- or any number of other methods, including tactical battles.

Corporations. Sure, they weren't perfect, but I've always liked economic advantages. It might have been nice if trade routes evolved into to monopolies and then to corporations or something.

Warmongering. BNW is a good addition and I like it a lot, but it seems to me that warmongering has been nerfed too hard. Early rushes simply don't appear in the strategy discussions that I read. Unique units are mainly prized for non-war attributes, like pathfinding, and I find that ancient/classical unique units are only provide an advantage in managing barbarians. Complaints about AI passivity are fairly common, and I agree with them. If you do have semi-aggressive neighbors, its usually easy enough to get them to attack somebody who's not you. I miss the big impact that war had in earlier versions, including the vicious dogpiles from Civ 3. It's funny that Civ 4's last expansion emphasized war (at least, that's how I remember it) and Civ 5's made it much less worthwhile.

True start locations for maps based on Earth. This has been requested many, many times throughout Civ 5's history and still not available with the official versions. No idea why it hasn't been included.

Starting technologies. As I recall, nobody gets a starting tech now except the Huns. Techs added a tactical direction, like giving militaristic civs Archery. They could have been used to add some much-needed balance, even to the point of using Civ Rev's trick of giving classical or even medieval technologies (Greeks, for example, started with Democracy in that game, quite a late tech).

Top Bottom