Culture miraculously disappears from jungle tiles with Sacred Path

Newbie Here

Chieftain
This is my first Civ 5 game, so I may be missing something... Playing as Poland in South America with Sacred Path. All jungle tiles were giving culture up until turn 134 (see upload). Starting from turn 135 (roll to the next turn please), jungle tiles in the city of Lodz (northwest) don’t have +1 culture anymore. But all other cities are still fine. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Casimir III_0134 AD-0475.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
The city will have either converted to another religion, or it no longer has a majority in which it gains no pantheon effects.

Can't load the game because I lack some petty DLC that most likely wasn't even used in the save. Thanks for this, Firaxis. I'm not buying DLCs I don't want no matter what, mind you.

Bhavv is most likely right. You must also know that after you fund your own religion, your settlers will no more carry your pantheon. It means that you'll have to manually expand your religion along with your settling or you'll have to wait for its autonomous spread.

You only get the benefits of a religion's beliefs (and a pantheon counts as a religion for that purpose) if the city has a majority of followers of that religion. Lodz is in the process of converting from a majority of pantheon followers to a majority of religion followers. What you observe is a result of that phase change.

On turn 134, Lodz has 5 population, of which 3 follow your pantheon and 1 follows our religion. On the next turn, as a result of religious pressure, you lose one pantheon follower and gain 1 religion follower (mouse-hover the city banner to read the tooltip -- 2 pantheon followers and 2 religion followers). So, on turn 135, neither your pantheon nor your religion has a majority of followers (neither your pantheon lightening bolt nor your religion's icon appears in the city banner). Result: No jungle culture -- for now. Once your religion becomes majority in Lodz, your jungle culture will return (as it already has in Wroclaw).

You might think, because your pantheon belief is incorporated into your religion, that having 2 pantheon followers and 2 religion followers in a 5-pop city would result in a majority for the underlying pantheon belief, but that is not the game mechanic.

Check out the War Academy articles (sub-forum of Strategy & Tips) for more on religion.

Top Bottom