Cultures

New cultures are already in mod. You can find them in mods/my_mods/new_cultures directory.

New cultures are already in mod. You can find them in mods/my_mods/new_cultures directory.

I know they are in the mod. :)

My question was: Is there a way to select individual cultures or do they all have to be loaded?

The reason I ask, is because with all these new cultures I can no longer load C2C - I get a CTD before the initial menu screen.

I am using XP.

If I remove them all, the game loads as normal. However I would like to use a few of them.

Cultures are like buildings/great wonders.
In theory you can split xml files and disable in MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml these culutures which you dont need.

@Harrier I think I have figured out why you are CTDing with these. There are no schema files in the folder. Sometimes this does not matter but on other times it does. I missed one or two in my folders also. :blush:

@Sparth You need to have a copy of the necessary schema files in your mod folder and they must be renamed. Usually we prefix them with the name of the folder.

The reason for doing this is to ensure the files access the correct schema version and you don't accidentally over write the core schema files with old ones.

I am going through fixing a bug in the Unit Schema file so will fix your New_Cultures at the same time.

I am going through fixing a bug in the Unit Schema file so will fix your New_Cultures at the same time.

Tnx for info. It was my first big project with adding xml content. In future ill atache schema files to my modules.

Do any of these lower culture units upgrade, mine aren't?? attached are just a few examples??

Attachments

• upgrade1.JPG
    upgrade1.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 135
  • upgrade.JPG
    upgrade.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 124
@Sparth Turns out there were a few problems identified by your New Cultures

1) There was an error in the core Terrain Schema file

2) The reference to the art and text schema files were off by one ../

3) You have a couple of stray characters on a couple of lines

4) The tags iStealthCombatModifiers and iBaseFoodChange are not in the unit schema as far as I can tell.​

1 & 3 were hard to figure out but all were reported by AIAndy's XMLValidator program. I'll see if I can find the link so you can get hold of it for future debugging;)

I'll put the fixes on the SVN shortly.

edit Unfortunately this fix seems to break saves:(

May be that is something we will have to live with if Sparth's Cultures is to be used.

Does it still break saves if the Folder is moved to My_Mods (Unloaded)?

JosEPh

May be that is something we will have to live with if Sparth's Cultures is to be used.

Does it still break saves if the Folder is moved to My_Mods (Unloaded)?

JosEPh

It appeared to be working fine for me before I did the investigation and only broke saves when I did the fixes.

I am going to see if I can keep my current game by first moving it to the unloaded folder loading my save. If that works I will be able to save it and move the fixed folder back in and continue. I am going to try that this morning before I put the fixes on the SVN.

The other thought is that because I fixed the core Terrain file the break may be because I have not replaced all the old ones in the mods. I will do that as well before posting to the SVN

Which characters in which units?

They were a >= and a >>, I can't remember exactly where but in the later part of the heroes file.

Was going through a few threads about PAKBUILD, and it is known, from what i have read>> is that anything OVER 150 or so, causes more MAF's and problems, so is there anyways u can split ur "units_sparth" into 2 different PAK's?? thx. . .

I recently did a little bit of solid playtesting and began to notice all the new additions you added. I'd like to simply say that despite all those saying that cultures need to be more restricted and so on, which is something the Ideas project will address, I think you've done some truly amazing work here Sparth. Thanks for this intense contribution that has been overlooked to an unfair degree so far.

You've added a tremendous variety of colorful game elements here with this. Very cool!

There's likely to be a lot I'm going to need to do to catch up my unit lists now. lol

Yes there is greater diversity. And it was a truly big project.

I do have a question though for you Sparth.

I have a game where I started in the bottom of the southern hemisphere, taiga and tundra for much on my available city founding spots. I have a Taiga City that is producing African Cultures, like Swahili. It has produced 5 different African cultures so far. I have Polumba Spearmen and Malakurian (sp?) riders from them.

Is this because there are no latitude restrictions for regional Cultures? My Empire is Carthage by the way.

JosEPh

Cultures are based only on your base region culture and terrain/resources at the moment. There are no restrictions by longitude or latitude.

This is because we had so few. I would like to see some changes on the requirements for Cultures now that we have quite a few. I think we could make things more interesting by having a few prerequisite Cultures of which you can only get a few. However a review of Cultures is a big task.

Cultures are based only on your base region culture and terrain/resources at the moment. There are no restrictions by longitude or latitude.

This is because we had so few. I would like to see some changes on the requirements for Cultures now that we have quite a few. I think we could make things more interesting by having a few prerequisite Cultures of which you can only get a few. However a review of Cultures is a big task.

Well wouldnt it be more advisable to get the Nomad stuff working first??

I agree that the new added cultures are very cool. More is More. But it leads to an excessive amount of hero units. Perhaps new culture groups should be added: split North American into North American and Central American, split European into Northwestern European (Germanic) Eastern European (Slavic) and Southern European (rest), split African into North African and Sub Sahara African etc.

Maybe heroes should need to qualify by accomplishments for certain things they currently do (which they would do upon retiring rather than right away.)

Top Bottom