The Community Deity Game #13 - THE Inca

5 other native American Tribes....I wonder what the 5th one is cos there is only 4 other than Inca in civ5. At least in my books because i dont consider polynesia,brazil or america as"native americans". or maybe its typo?

Nah, not a typo. I mentioned this in the CDG Series thread, but I'm considering Brazil as "Native American", which sort of fits, but also adds an element of difficulty to the designated Cultural VC.

Can you forgive my historical inaccuracy?

Nah, not a typo. I mentioned this in the CDG Series thread, but I'm considering Brazil as "Native American", which sort of fits, but also adds an element of difficulty to the designated Cultural VC.

Can you forgive my historical inaccuracy?

Of course :D..Thanks for explaining. I havent played map yet but if Brazil is closest neighbor it makes semiwar cultural victory sometimes easier if you start war after they have Brazilfood camps. If they are far away then its different.

Thru t174

Spoiler :

Antwerp is mine!!!!! I repeat, Antwerp is mine!!! It only took 132 turns of war with a CS, but I took him down and now KSM is all mine!!!

I had to pump out a couple of extra Xbows and it took a lot more strategy and stupidity on the AI, but the unbreakable walls finally fell. We shall sing songs for generations about the stubbornness and bravery of the mighty Antwerpian (now Incan) fighters. Poetically, the moment the city fell, 7 of these brave units disappeared in a puff of smoke, almost as if they had been swept off to the Halls of Valhalla (or wherever the Antwerpian warrior cult sends its heroes).

I sent 2 semi-useless catapults and a pony North of the city where they did very little damage but served to distract 4-5 Antwerpian units at all times, which kept those units away from the Logistics Xbows who were using the the hills to whittle the city's defenses down. I rotated 4-5 less experienced Xbows in and out of the Dyes, where the silly city and its ranged unit kept targeting them, only to be replaced by fresh Xbow-bait the next turn while the first went home to heal. Roads were paramount in this assault and I'd not have taken the city in as "timely" of a manner if it weren't for the Pyramids. I lost one unit, a Pike, on the last turn before sacking my prize.

This came exactly 10 turns before the WF, so I had time for Antwerp to get out of resistance and build a Courthouse just in time to participate in the WF effort.

Elsewhere in the world, Izzy had wiped out Portugal completely and most of the world wasn't very happy about that. Sadly, I had signed a DoF with Izzy just before she let her warmongering tendencies be known, so several of the AI's were less fond of me that they previously had been. The DoF expired right around the time I took Antwerp (should I rename that city Valhalla?). I was then able to bribe the other AI leader Shoshone to DoW Spain (who was now at war with Pedro).

Shoshone and Hiawatha hadn't done much besides sending troops to our mutual borders so they could watch my assault and occasionally let me know that the other one was plotting against me. Pacal is no longer willing to give me DoF, but I just sent a TR to him and will denounce Spain once my exploring Trireme clears her territory (and satisfy a CS quest), so maybe he'll forgive me for my earlier poor choice in friends. Monte has been way too quiet, and he's got all of the military Wonders so far.

I won WF so easily I didn't even have to burn a GA. I even stopped working on it altogether 2 turns before completion once I had passed 1200 hammers. A natural Golden Age hit the very turn it ended, so culture is flying now. Also, on the turn it ended I got a natural Social Policy, so that was 2 immediate policies, tons of culture, and Cusco is 2 turns from finishing Oxford to Radio for 2 more policies. This will be more social policies in a short period of time than I've ever had, and I'll likely be taking Freedom (Pedro was first and took Order, but he's unlikely to survive Spain's assault, even with Shoshone flanking). I am not ready for war with Spain as even experienced Xbows won't do much damage to a horde of Tercios and Conquistadors. This is Spain's sweet spot in the game and I'd rather wait them out. Maybe Monte will accept some gold to add a 3rd flank on her.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.55.53 AM.jpg

I sent a couple of units to try to block Spain from taking Wittenberg, but I'm thinking I may let her have it eventually (if she doesn't take it on her own). I'm thinking I could liberate the CS and have a nice cheap base to bombard the land formerly known as Portugal. Perhaps when my FLeas come on line (FLeas is my new name for Foreign Legions).

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 12.00.23 PM.jpg

Plan now is to lay low for a bit while teching hard for Labs (after grabbing Archeology). I'll need to get some museums up and I'm going to open Exploration so I can GE Louvre on the next Social Policy (2nd natural GE just spawned and I'm pumping out good FPT so should be able to buy a couple more). I'm less than thrilled with my Iron and Aluminum supply (a big fat ZERO.....who made this map anyways?). I need Aluminum ASAP as all 5 cities would benefit from Hydro Plants. Perhaps some CS work is needed.....

Cusco is a freakin monster of a city and I'll send the hammer TR's there as food as soon as they expire. I'm thinking I have a shot at 45+ pop achievement but I'm going to run out of slots to work as the ocean tiles are completely barren of fish. This map isn't done with surprises/challenges I guess.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 12.04.35 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 12.01.32 PM.jpg

Of course :D..Thanks for explaining. I havent played map yet but if Brazil is closest neighbor it makes semiwar cultural victory sometimes easier if you start war after they have Brazilfood camps. If they are far away then its different.

I have something along those lines in mind. Pedro built at least one of the theming Wonders, and he's likely to be an easy target once
Spoiler :
Spain
gets through with him. If I didn't have
Spoiler :
the 2 North American civs
right on my doorstep, both of whom are friendly with Brazil, I'd consider sneaking up there and grabbing Rio now, but there's a lot of border to cover and I don't think I'm ready.

Suggestions?
I am looking for advice on working the trees. I have 3 picks in Autocracy, 3 in Rationalism, and 1 in Aesthetics.

I am thinking 9 in Autocracy, then fill out Aesthetics, pausing to complete Rationalism for Globalization Internet. Then finish Autocracy.

Or should I work to close out Aesthetics first?

What about switching to Order after I build Prora?

Suggestions?
I am thinking 9 in Autocracy, then fill out Aesthetics, pausing to complete Rationalism for Globalization. Then finish Autocracy.

Or should I work to close out Aesthetics first?

What about switching to Order after I build Prora?

Why do you even open Autocracy when the goal is CV on deity? It doesn't have the GP increase and futurism is too low to matter. Also you shouldn't need more than 3 in rationalism. The focus is to get to Internet fast but you don't actually need full rationalism to do so. You don't need Prora unless you stay in autocracy but it wouldn't do much other than a waste of hammer for happiness.

I could have done Freedom instead and still gotten two free picks. Do you think that would have been better for a violent CV? Or should I have followed the three AIs into Order? WI is already passed for Order. I was think that with Prora, I can actually get something from the tourism buff for beating the AIs in happiness.

I could have done Freedom instead and still gotten two free picks. Do you think that would have been better for a violent CV?

When I log back in, that's the exact decision I have to make (only 1 civ in Order so far). I am pretty sure I'm going Freedom. When you've got a large Petra capital, Freedom can be awesome and the FLeas help a lot towards DomV, especially this game where I have to leave half of my troops behind to guard large borders.

I built Prora and switched to Order. My happiness went from 21 to 56, better than all the AI. I think that will work fine for CV.

Having fun...

Thru t226
Spoiler :

The plan to lay low has been executed. In the meantime, I built or GE'd a bunch of Wonders (Louvre, Cristo, SoL, Eiffel, Broadway, and am currently building SOH and Noosh). CN Tower will have to be a hard build as I won't have a natural GE in time and I need to spend my faith on something else.

The rest of the world absolutely loves me, giving me fair trades to bail out my happiness and DoWing just about anyone anytime I ask. Most of the last 50 years has been spent making sure Izzy and Poca are fighting on more than one front and definitely with each other. Despite all of this non-stop warfare with everyone besides me and Pacal, nobody has lost a city in ages (Spain did finally take Wittenberg).

I had a few GS in a short period of time and diverted a bit to pick up the bottom half of the tree up to Railroad. Now I'm heading straight to internet. I've got a SP coming on the next turn and I'll use it to complete Rationalism and the free tech will be Telecomm. I'll also immediately buy a GS and use it to bulb Internet (I'm right at 1000 BPT so I think I can get it with one bulb). And it's coming at just the right time, because.....

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.10.34 PM.jpg

....I just won IG. I didn't propose it, but the timing was great. In fact, all of the votes have gone great as NHS and CHS have both been passed already. This IG took exactly 4 turns and I got my 2nd natural Golden Age 2 turns in (could have timed that a bit better).

I've already completed Trad and Ratio (next turn) and have finished 6 in Freedom and opened Aesthetics and Exploration. I'll work through Aesthetics the rest of the way and pick up some culture bonuses.

As one may surmise from earlier comments, I did indeed go Freedom. 3rd and 4th Ideologies went shortly thereafter with Spain going Order and Pacal joining me in Freedom (which scared me as I don't like competition for SoL). Poca later took Aristocracy and Hiawatha joined us in Freedom. Poor Aztecs just recently got to Industrial Age, but they do have Frigates all over and that bottleneck of a land they call home (and the GW) has stymied both Spain and Shoshone so far and they just might be able to last.

Something very unusual (at least to me) happened then. I checked on Ideological pressure and, with 2 in Freedom and 2 in Order, happiness was totally even. I thought this was pretty cool:
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 5.05.57 PM.png

So the plan now is to build a bunch of arties and march up North to take some Wonders. I won't have much of an air force, as I have very little oil and NO FREAKIN ALUMINUM!!! (I'm yelling at the clown who posted this strategic-resourceless map). I don't have much influence on the 4 stronger civs yet (all 10-15%), but that's rising fast. I do have diplomats in all of their capitals. I was going to try to capture some Brazilwood Camps (great suggestion), but I didn't have anything that could damage a city and Spain didn't make any progress after taking 1 city early so I couldn't "steal" a city conquest. It just wasn't worth the backstab.

I think I've got a pretty good shot at pop 40+ in Cusco and the rest of Incaland is doing quite well. This should be a CV and the success of the upcoming war effort will dictate the time. I do have to remember to buy a GP to convert the European Capitals before the end.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.13.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.12.41 PM.jpg

Having fun... Thru t226
Your game is going so much better and faster than mine! I am like 20 turns further along, but like 20 turns behind where your are in the tech tree.

The faraway runaway [3] got Eiffel and Broadway long before I hit electricity. I missed Cristo because I was not willing to burn a GE on it. I am crossing my fingers for SOH, but that tech will not unlock for quite a bit.

I thought switching to Order would get me some love, but I guess that was too late. I got several denouncements, and that was before I started taking cities!

Very soon I will kill off the European to the NE [2]. I just took her cap (Louvre, yum, built even as I was wearing down the city defense).

[3] is not so far away any more, since he just killed off the other European [2]. Now I will eventually be recalling [2] to life, for lulz and diplo, but that will compromise my ability to burn an inquisitor on her cap. I have quite some time to plan about how to best work that all out because...

I just got a double DOW from [4] and [5]. It was right after I had signed a Defensive Pact with [3] (who was massing troops on my borders, but “friendly”) and [7]. My DP caused [3] to backstab [4], and I expect [3] to eat [4]. That should at least keep [3] busy for a while.

I think war with [5] will be fine, at least so long as I am not fighting [3] at the same time. [5] has been doing pretty well, taking all but one city from [6] (in a war I bribed to start). I will be liberating most of those cities since [6] is pretty much now out the game. [6] hates me at the moment, but he is the only non-Order civ, so I think he will come around.

Things are complicated by the detail that I cannot kill [5] off because [3] has become influential over everyone but [5]. And all this assumes that [5] is weak. But my gats and infantry are looking pretty buff at this point!

Meanwhile, [7] is stuck in his corner. He is still at war with [5] (due to my earlier bribe), but neither of them seems to be progressing (after [7] took one city early). I expect [7] to be good for trade routes and Research Agreements for the rest of the game. It is nice to have at least one AI on the map that has no problem with warmongers!
Spoiler naming civs :
[1]=Isabella, [2]=Maria, [3]=Pacal, [4]=Brazil, [5]=Ponca, [6]=Hiawatha, [7]=Monty

5 other native American Tribes....I wonder what the 5th one is cos there is only 4 other than Inca in civ5. At least in my books because i dont consider polynesia, brazil or america as "native americans". or maybe its typo?
It seems to me that Polynesia could reasonably count as “Native American”. Your post suggests to me a fun but very politically incorrect theme for the CDG: Washington vs the six Native American civs. CV or DOM naturally, but maybe it could diplo to play against the UA/UU strengths?

It seems to me that Polynesia could reasonably count as “Native American”. Your post suggests to me a fun but very politically incorrect theme for the CDG: Washington vs the six Native American civs. CV or DOM naturally, but maybe it could diplo to play against the UA/UU strengths?

I was considering this too, although I was going to try and get myself banned by pitting them against their current native lands-to-conquer instead of the lands already conquered. Now that I think about it, I'd have to put half the darn list in that one, so your idea might be better. I was also going to make one of the achievements to be earning -1000 gpt at some point and having a military score that is 5 times the size of the average in demographics at some point as well. OH the possibilities...

Your game is going so much better and faster than mine! I am like 20 turns further along, but like 20 turns behind where your are in the tech tree.

Yes, well I did get off to a very strong start and a lot has just cascaded down from that (yes, shocker for civ players.....strong starts help your game!!!!).

I do have to object to Polynesia being considered "native american". I've been to almost all of the islands that make up Polynesia, and I can assure you that most Polynesians would be very offended at such a suggestion, especially Tonga, which never gave up sovereignty to the Brits.

Most of Polynesia has the entire Pacific Ocean between it and America. It's about as American as Napoli.

Okay, how about then just America versus the Natives?

I think for the theme, Polynesia still fits better than Brazil.

Your post suggests to me a fun but very politically incorrect theme for the CDG: Washington vs the six Native American civs. CV or DOM naturally, but maybe it could diplo to play against the UA/UU strengths?
It is not just politically incorrect, it is simply fukced up on many levels. Replaying the atrocious history of colonialism, genocide, and slavery? No thanks.

It is not just politically incorrect, it is simply fukced up on many levels. Replaying the atrocious history of colonialism, genocide, and slavery? No thanks.

I tend to agree. How about a "world police" kind of game, which reflects a more modern America

Yes, there really were a lot of atrocities committed in colonial expansion period of Europe. I'd venture to say that there isn't a single civ in this GAME that isn't guilty of the same (or worse).

Shaka? Genocide, fratrocide, and a slaver.
China? Probably killed more of its own citizens than all others combined.
Rome and Greece? Conquerors and slavers.
Incas? Became a great nation by conquest.

I could go on, but I think the point is made; just about every "great" civilization in our history was built by taking from others. Mankind has a pretty sordid past and though we glorify some and demonize others depending on which way the current wind of opinion is blowing, the fact is that we are a very violent race.

But, this is just a game. Like most popular games, there is some killing involved, and because Civ tries to give an element of historical accuracy, there is killing in the game that, by design, mirrors the past.

I can respect the viewpoint that Adcarrymaokai presents here, but I'd like to request that we keep discussion here away from politics and such. I come here to get away from that.

Yes, there really were a lot of atrocities committed in colonial expansion period of Europe. I'd venture to say that there isn't a single civ in this GAME that isn't guilty of the same (or worse).

Shaka? Genocide, fratrocide, and a slaver.
China? Probably killed more of its own citizens than all others combined.
Rome and Greece? Conquerors and slavers.
Incas? Became a great nation by conquest.

I could go on, but I think the point is made; just about every "great" civilization in our history was built by taking from others. Mankind has a pretty sordid past and though we glorify some and demonize others depending on which way the current wind of opinion is blowing, the fact is that we are a very violent race.

But, this is just a game. Like most popular games, there is some killing involved, and because Civ tries to give an element of historical accuracy, there is killing in the game that, by design, mirrors the past.

I can respect the viewpoint that Adcarrymaokai presents here, but I'd like to request that we keep discussion here away from politics and such. I come here to get away from that.

Well that's really what Civ is about, rewriting history and ignoring what the Civ actually did. Sometimes its better, sometimes it ends in a nuclear war, but either way we can keep the real world out of it from now on and focus on the Civ's in-game skills instead of what they did in the real world. No -1000 gpt or 11 carriers or military score average x5, etc. etc. etc. I could probably nitpick every single civ on that list in their current form, not just the one I live in.

EDIT2: Sorry for being a giant trigger if I was one. There are probably sub-reddits devoted to making CIV maps as close to real life as possible, I'll try to find those instead. That's not what the CDG is about, its about taking the CIV and its strengths and building a map around those, and about experimenting with new ways to win. I let myself forget that for a second.

Top Bottom