Will you be able to give us a version for Civ6

E_T

Chieftain
With the advent of a Core engine, built from scratch; Splitting up the tech tree, unstacking the cities with the district system and all of the other exciting things about the upcoming Civ6 (supposed to be very modible); do you all think that you might be able to port this mod over to it???

How would you split up that huge tech tree into two types? As one is based on culture points, have the second tree start slightly later than the first, as you don't start creating any culture until about the 3rd tier of the Prehistoric tree, IIRC. And, I suspect (will remain to be seen) that you could even further separate some of the later techs into a 3rd tree, that would not even be able to have points generated for it until, the earliest, the classical era... but could be later...

Also, some of the additional buildings can be added to the districts, although I do not think that we will need any new district, unless.... How about your judicial quarter district, with all of those crime and punishment things added to them-give them a teal coloration...

Would love to see it with the newer game engine...

Because of the 'one unit type' limitation per tile?? And if that number was modable???

@ E _T,
At this time it is way too early and too hard to tell if any semblance of Caveman2Cosmos could be made a mod for Civ VI.

Hopefully VI will move away from a strict 1UPT scheme. This would give some wiggle room for modders imho.

Unfortunately from all that I've read and seen posted so far is that VI will be a "new take" on V. And the subject of using anything from any of Civ's previous versions (II thru IV) are avoided like the Black Plague by these Devs.

I'm hoping for a Good Game from VI, But.....I'm not going to rush to buy it after the fiascos of V and BE.

<deleted>

JosEPh

It should be understood that this mod represents the revolution against all basic design decisions that Civ V made. THIS was the direction we felt the mod should have gone, NOT that. There are too many incompatibilities. You said 'Because of the 'one unit type' limitation per tile?? And if that number was modable??? ' as if that is a trivial design decision. IMO, it's the difference between one GAME (not just a version of a game) and another. That design decision is so fundamental to the initial AI and game play design that it's almost easier to build a new engine from scratch. Which may be happening here as well.

Again, we will have to see... but in the mean time, from what we currently know and what will be reveiled in the following months, we can still take a small bit of time and look at what techs would separate out into a separate tree(s), what additional districts we could have and what buildings would go into them (or stay in the city Center). Oother things would be allowing some limited stacking of wonders (this game has how many again??) That would allow wonders of similar natures to co-habit a tile, but not all wonders. How areas where someone had fought battles, in prehistory, would later have archialogical significance much later in the game. Thing is, there is still a significant and exciting potential to take this mod to the next great level...

And I have seen time and again as to how much ya'll have so greatly taken this mod to and past the capabilitiees of the Civ4/BTS game engine on the platforms of the time...I can't wait to see where ya'll will take the brand new, massively multi-threaded, built to run on multiple processing and graphic cores Civ Engine, where ya'll will end up??

That is what I am confident that this version will allow us to go...

I hope we can share your confidence. But as I stated before, only time and Civ VI release and reception will see if any thing will come about in the long run. I personally will not be Pre-Ordering and the whole DLC thing is an abhorrent practice that Game publishers have now embraced to get "deeper into the buyers pocket".

JosEPh

Eh, personally Global Happiness was the deal breaker for me with Civ 5 and with that gone I'm willing to give that shot. That being said I'm not sure if a mod like this is possible on Civ 6. I don't remember massive projects like this on Civ 5 and if modability is the same, then it's just as unlikely to have something similar there.

FilthyRobot confirmed that Wednesday, August 3rd at 10 AM EST is when the NDA lifts and he can release video content.

- He has four hours worth of content (25 to 30Gigs), that he has from the event that hw is going to start releasing on Wed. It's not clear if he is going to release it all on that day or several days.

- The 4 hour event was part of a worldwide series of events that are all due to be released on Wed... Singapore, Germany, Korea and others. Not only youtubers, but other Media reporting that is all part of this...

- Filthy wanted to get a better feel for the game core and some comparision and contrast with Civ5, as well as Some restrictions on later game things that are still in the balance phases and will change before Oct, so he mostly focused on the early game.

- He had three games/starts with three different civs, with 3 different strategies that he used his 4 hours to work the game good.

- Due to an Airline screwup, Filthy was able to go to dinner with Quill18. Arumba, Joe Sullivan and another 2k PR guy. They talked Civ 5 and 6 for several hours and networking.

- Filthy might have convinced Quill and Arumba to participate in a MP game, either before or after release.

- Joe Sullivan did hint that there might be a MP event pre-release, which speaks to more MP support potentially. He is excited about the MP prospects for Civ6 that was not there in Civ5. 'Should be really, really cool'...

- still awaiting answers back about questions about things that he is wanting to include in his footage...

FilthyRobot discusses his trip here: https://www.twitch.tv/filthyrobot/v/80808787

In case anyone does not know, Quill18 has a series of C2C gameplay that is on his channel, so I hope that some of that dinner discussion had gotten into the MODability area....

In case anyone does not know, Quill18 has a series of C2C gameplay that is on his channel, so I hope that some of that dinner discussion had gotten into the MODability area....

Quill LP's are quite old
I hope that some of major youtube players takes newest version of C2C on the workshop :)

Subscribe and then badger them...

As soon as I've completed my current game I'm going to do a youtube Lets Play including an installation guide. I've already tested the software workflow (getting the video part is easy...getting the sound optimal is a bit trickier)

From what I saw, civ6 has incorporated an absolutely annoying feature from Civ BE, and that is that other civs for no reason whatsoever will bug you with completely random remarks. In Civ BE it's perhaps not so much annoying as completely meaningless, but when you combine it with the civ5 feature that instead of a popup - you start a movie everytime a foreign civ wants something from you, then it truly turns into infuriating. When I saw that feature on some LPs on youtube it killed all my hopes for a good Civ6. Developers, please take a look at the only example of top notch diplomacy in the entire history of the franchise which is SMAC, that was fun because of actual game design, not cartoons in 3D graphics. One didn't get the impression of being kidnapped into foreign territory which appearantly is how diplomacy is conducted in civ5 and civ6.

Blech, I avoided civ5 because I knew I'd hate it but a couple of months ago I finally opted to try and gave it a good 10hrs of game-play, it is a horrible game and it is not civ. If civ6 is gonna be like civ5 I definitely won't bother with it.

If only civ4 could be fixed to multicore properly. But I guess that'd require the source code and some serious programming.

Would take firaxis simply being willing to release CivIV to an open source licence. But I think Gamebryo is going to need to be equally as willing. Probably never will happen but we do have people out there like Koshling considering how to program something similar from scratch.

It's really a pity. In the past, you could be sure that at least the even numbers of Civ were really great games in their time (and a massive improvement to their immediate predecessors).

Regarding the odd versions, Civ I is special because it introduced pretty much the genre (disregarding very early games like 7 Cities of Gold), Civ III introduced Culture (including Culture Flipping), Warlords and Strategic Ressources, but gave us one of the silliest tech trees of the entire franchise and completely ignored Destiny (earlier start than 4000 BC, map transformation, but they did use strategic ressources), Test of Time (Multimaps, techs not researchable by certain factions or only given as special events), SMAC (a host of features), the Call to Power Games (later game, again Multimaps - at least CtP I, Underwater Cities) and the proposal document from apolyton (seems to be offline).

I ... don't think I really need to elaborate on Civ 5 here.

The CiV enthusiasts are swooning over VI in the VI Forum here at CFC.

And already "*itching" about 10-15 sec EoT's they saw from some of the Utube guys that got invited to the game convention recently and were allowed to play some MP with it. :rolleyes::crazyeye:

JosEPh

I think that civ 6 is slightly more interesting than 5 (I recently forced myself to finish one game with civ 5, and I still don't like it).

Lowering tech costs based on your actions (e.g. having a coastal city speeds up sailing tech) is an interesting idea. Placing districts on tiles, and let those districts have bonuses based on surrounding tiles is potentially interesting too.

Unfortunately they kept several civ 5 mechanics I don't like, like national happiness, one-unit-per-tile etc. The fantasy religion system is very similar too.

It's definitely interesting so i give it a try.

I don't get the obsession with Civ4 that some people have.

Civ4 wasn't that great then it first came out otherwise it wouldn't been necessary to release two expansions and lots of patches. Even after that it wasn't so great because otherwise everybody would play without mods.

Top Bottom