Help with 20k

ÆnigmÆffect

Warlord
Alrighty. I've been poking about the xoTM the past couple of times, going for 20k. I would attempt for a fast finish, and each time, I feel that I get way overmatched at the beginning (sometimes so frustrated that I just quit), and not sure what the best thing to do. I would like some tips.

What I seem to do:
Warrior -> settler (if possible)
Make my second city as my 20k. (focus on shield over food in this city, as I plan to pump workers from capital)
Warrior for scout/granary, depending on food.
Mebbe another warrior for MP/scouting.
Workers to pump 20k (usually at 3-4 or so).
Barracks in between, mebbe some units (if low food capital, and can't get a good worker rhythm).

I find that my science pace is super slow (since I'll have only 2 cities for a while), and struggling to keep up.

Questions:
When trying to go for a fast 20k finish, when do you pump workers into the 20k city vs. building settler to found another city?

Is it better to emphasize sh or food when the 20k city is first built?

Is pottery important to help pump the 20k city? I've been researching it as my first tech...

How do you avoid falling behind in tech? There were times where by the time I start meeting civs and try to trade, they're all so far ahead of me that I can't trade anything?

I was playing a test game, and by the time 900bc rolled around, I only had 3 or 4 cities, not too many units, and a 6 pop 20k city, with only a temple and the colossus built. All the other civs were MANY techs ahead of me (I tried to trade early on, but no one wanted to...), and have many more cities...

Thanks...

ÆnigmÆffect

The first warrior should go scout for meeting AI. Trade trade trade. Potery is required for your capitale if you don't plan to have an early SGL for pyramids.

If you want very good tips, go in the Hall of Fame forum and read those 20k win ;)

Top Bottom