Turn-based Strategy Games

Qualic

Chieftain
CivII is the first strategy type game I've ever played and I'm really enjoying it. In just the couple weeks I've owned it, I've gotten more gameplay hours outta it than anything since Deus Ex and Wiz8...and not since WarCraft have I spent my days thinking about a game while working.

I wonder if there's other games of this genre that worth picking up...? I was just reading reviews and a game called Age of Wonders Shadow Magic gets high marks, and best I can tell it sounds similar to CivII...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Q

Although it's quite different from civilization, Sim City is worth mentioning. I've also spent a lot of time with a game called Transport Tycoon (build up your transport company on a map).

"alpha centauri " is a strategy turn based similar to civ II the big diference it is a "continuation to civ you have 4 way to win
Diplomatic ,conquer , Economic , Ascent to Trancedance .
It is not looking so bright as civ , dark color Graphic, but you may design your own unit . Trade concept diferent .thecnology tree is taken from science fiction . I recomend

Master of Orion you begin with a planet and try to conquer or settle other planet . many race , thecnology Science fiction
you may design unit and chosse tactical combat .
so so

Lords of realm 2 is special the game is Turn based .the Battle are real time , Periode middle age ,arow Sword and other blunt Weapon . very playable

I'll have to give SimCity another look...for some reason it never struck me as appealing, but then, that was always my thought about Civ until I tried it.

Orion sounds interesting, as I always like a Sci-Fi spin on things, but the LaLande thing on TOT just didn't do much for me. Your desription of alpha centauri kinda sounds like the "extended game" I've been playing on TOT...are they one and the same?

Thanks,

Q

Some others you might consider are:

Lords of Magic
Heroes of Might & Magic (I'm currently playing I & II, have yet to start III; IV is out there as well)

And:

Panzer General, Fantasy General, Star General, Allied General (if I can get a copy, then I'll add Pacific General as well). These are turn based, but a little more tactiacl in nature.

@Qualic - non Alpha Centauri and TOT are different (personally I didn't like either)

Others in a similar vein

Age OF Empires (plus additions)
Settlers

there are also variations on the transport tycoon (eg rollercoaster tycoon)

I really like the "General" series, especially the way your units keep gaining experience. By the end of my last campaign, I would spend a few turns clearing the skies with my ultra-vetran spitfires while "supersizing" my ultra-vet paratroopers, then drop them onto defensible terrain behind enemy lines and watch the Germans kill themselves trying to take them down!

My son REALLY likes the Roller Coaster Tycoon series, but it is not "turn-based", and neither is SimCity (or any of the SimSeries, I understand). They are more like the Real Time Strategy games than the Turn Based Strategy ones. Railroad Tycoon is in that genre as well, and another favorite of mine is Harpoon (real-time modern naval warfare), as well as Age of Sail. What saves these games from overwhelming you is the ability to change the time compression (for boring stretches) and pause the game to work on settings and strategies. Masters of Orion and Galactic Civilizations are decent turn-based, space-oriented games.

EDIT: add Rise of Nations to the Civ-type games.

I think Warlords III is a very good turn-based strategy game. It's worth a try. The game has heroes, light and dark sides, quests, ruins to search, spells...

Civilization Test of Time or Civ2 Multiplayer
and... Imperialism II !!
else,
if u have Win98, Lords of the Realms II
Chariots of War, not bad but very simple, too easy

IMPERIALISM II :goodjob:

I have to agree with funxus, simcity is a great game(i've got to try Sim City 4, I've played up to 3000 Unlimited but haven't tried 4)

UFO
:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

That one is a very old one (even older than civ!), but it is GREAT

(Unfortunately, the followers, X-Com Terror from the deep and X-Com Apocalypse, are not half as good as the original)

Age of Wonders series are excellent turn-based strategy games, give them a try. I hear Shadow Magic has fixed problems that existed in first and second one, haven't been able to try it out yet. Also Warlords I-III and Heroes of Might and Magic (second of that series is my favourite).

Another old game (that can be found in certain abandonware sites) is Centurion: Defender of Rome.

It has some parts which are RTS/Arcade style, but it is primarily a TBS.

I would endorse the recommendation for SMAC and MOO.

I would also recommend Colonization (there is a forum here) and an old game, Machiavelli the Prince, set in Venice's golden age. Lots of trade as well as intrigue at the Venician courts.

Also although Europa Universalis II (a forum here as well) is strictly a RTS game you can set the game progress at a slow rate and also pause it so it can be played almost like a TBS. It's regarded as the strategy game that most closely simulates history and is full of challenges for diplomacy as well as trade and warfare.

Top Bottom