The King of the World Throne Room

Welcome back!

Have you ever played around with the Earth 1000 AD scenario? It's not terribly well thought out, but the Vikings are tons of fun to play (and are definitely behind the 8-ball at the start), especially if you tweak the save to Epic or Marathon speed.

... Hey, guys. Well, any guys who are still around. I've done you all a great wrong. To lose interest and move on is one thing, but to do so without notice is unforgivable. Anyway, I came back on a whim and saw that a good chunk of you are still here. Or at least were still here as of seven months ago :) So, to make it up to you all, I'm thinking of making a comeback. That Lincoln game is dead and buried, so don't ask me to go back there, but outside of that, I'm open to suggestions. Does Civ IV still have a following? Or should I move on to V? Do you all even want another King of the World? Let me know. I am, once again, listening.

First of all, welcome back, Neal! I am sure everybody is glad to see you alive and well. There no need to be worried about losing interest in the Lincoln Game.

Personally I find the Huge Earthmap games to be very exhausting and I seem to remember you mentioning real life every once in a while. I am chronic with never finishing games. As time elapses since the last turnset I find myself less inclined to finish.

Have you looked at the Earth Challenge? It is on the General Discussion Forum and available in Standard and Huge sizes.

Here is the Earth Challenge on Huge Size

Here is the Earth Challenge on Standard Size

Sweet, it's The Return of the King!
Personally, I really enjoy Civ V - sure the changes can be disconcerting but I like what they've done with it, at least after all those patches. That being said, I think Neal's following would drop by two-thirds if he took up V so best to stick with IV :p
A Rhye's game might be cool, though I'm not sure what everyone else feels about that, including Neal. All that said, it's entirely up to him to decide what to do - it's his game series after all

May I suggest playing the next KOTW with the starting locations mod. You load the mod, go to Custom Scenario, load the sr neutral Earth map and you can play with 18 random civs in the world. Makes it more interesting when you don't know who shows up! :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17413

The mod does not change anything in the game accept it sets the starting locations for every civ.

Welcome back Neal! Your brilliant series and writing style have been sorely missed. I'm really excited for this game. I wouldn't mind seeing a European AW (Greece or Germany?) or maybe a south-east asia start.

find a map with everyone on and run that, if you haven't done allready ... optional with assorted extra civs from assorted mods

WB Neal!

I'm a relatively recent addition to the forum, but I've read most if not all of your KOTW games. They're a fantastic read & would love for you to do more, don't really care if you use the orinigal Earth18, or other Earth maps, or these mods people are suggesting etc.

Hey, neal is back :p

To be honest I like the idea of running a E1000AD game just to break it out. It is a very interesting scenario especially because you have to get out of the hole in most of the civs. I already runned 2 SGs with it ( Inca and Japan ... first space win ( quite easy IF you push the colonization up and evade a European or Asian invasion ) and the second by conquest ( just start by grabbing China before they can get their act together )...

So I would sugest maybe the Byzantines ( their UU pwns everything in the game start and Saladin is up for the grab ) or the Arabs ( lots of possibilities of expansion, but also a lot of danger with the Christians all in gangbang on you since game start... and the nice fact of losing cities even before you play :p ). If you want to go more exotic :/ the Khmer or the Koreans ... both start in horrible positions for war and unlike the Inca you can't make it by mindless expansion

Okay... So I'm closer to a resolution. Everyone's saying either "Civ IV!" or "Either one," so I guess Civ V is out :) I own V, but I never got around to installing and learning it, so it's probably for the best. Then again, I haven't played IV since the abandoned Lincoln game, so I'm thinking I'll do an easier scenario to ease my way back into things. Right now I'm torn between China on Earth18 using the Real Always War mod and try to keep my head above water as the world burns, and tearing it up with some Cataphracts in 1000 A.D.

I think it's easier to get back into the swing of things with the always war mod. Less concern for diplomacy that way.

I think it's easier to get back into the swing of things with the always war mod. Less concern for diplomacy that way.

Which is a roundabout sneaky way of saying "Play the Real Always War Mod" dammit!!! :lol:;) (umm.....that would have my vote as well - just in case that didn't go through :D)

Well, it obviously has my vote too, as I proposed it :p
Would be nice to see a game with no diplo involved.

Grr... Well, it appears that my copies of Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS somehow disappeared between my two moves in the past year and a half (part of the "real life stuff" that got in the way). So things will be delayed by at least a few days while I order up a replacement. The best deal I can seem to find is a UK import for about $8.50. That'll work, right? There's no real difference? I mean, if I should spring the $30 for the U.S. edition, I guess I will, but I don't really see the point...

i'd guess if you look a bit around you should be able to find a complete box in a bargage bin in a computer shop for 5-10£

The UK Edition replaces Spices with Tea and the tech flavor texts for tech discoveries are read by Ian McKellen instead of Nimoy but other than those and a few other minor things such as a few graphics modifications and what have you it should be the same as far as I know.

Grr... Well, it appears that my copies of Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS somehow disappeared between my two moves in the past year and a half (part of the "real life stuff" that got in the way). So things will be delayed by at least a few days while I order up a replacement. The best deal I can seem to find is a UK import for about $8.50. That'll work, right? There's no real difference? I mean, if I should spring the $30 for the U.S. edition, I guess I will, but I don't really see the point...

I think they are sales on steam too. 30$ looks like a lot of money to me for the game of this age.

You were playing 3.19 right? You shouldn't need the disc so long as you didn't delete it from your computer.

Top Bottom