All savegames crashing

Phoenix_7

Chieftain
I am having a big problem loading save games.

The most recent occurrence involved the latest version of FfH 2. I started a custom game on a Standard Pangea map playing as a custom modded race. I played all the way until around turn 260ish (in one sitting) and then had to leave. So I saved my game, and left. I then came back later to play again, and loaded up my save. I finished the turn upon loading, hit enter, and got a CTD.

Alright, no problem, I have autosaves for the last 20 turns prior. Unfortunately, after testing these, they all experience the same problem of crashing when I try to move to the next turn (doesn't matter if the next turn was 241 or 257 etc.).

The kicker is I have had this problem for a long time now with multiple versions of Ffh 2. This leads me too believe it is not a problem with the mod, but in my setup.

Any one else have similiar problems to this or know how to fix it? Because of this, I have never actually been able to finish a game of Ffh but I would like to remedy that if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the same problem with unmodded versions of FfH?

Typically save game crashes happen because a change has been made that isn't in the save game data. If, for example, you added a new unit to the game it would break all the earlier save games. Because in the save there are only 97 units and in the new load there is 98.

Honestly, I haven't played with an unmodded version for a long time. I was hoping for an obvious solution but it seems I will need to try an unmodded game to see if the problem persists.

I don't fully understand your second comment. I am not changing the game between saving and loading at all. For testing purposes I have even saved a game (which was running smoothly) and immediately tried to load it immediately after(without exiting the game). As soon as it loads and I press "enter" the game crashes.

To further complicate things, it is not very consistent. The save problem is usually more prevalent towards the late game (although not always) and sometimes I can even find one out of my twenty autosaves that will let me progress to the next turn (and then further as well).

The whole thing seems just weird to me. Also, thanks for the quick reply Kael. Its much appreciated that you find time (and have the patience) to help troubleshoot in the midst of development.

No problem, I want FfH to run smoothly and I wouldnt be able to catch the issues without posts like yours. Try an unmodded version and let me know if you see the same thing.

Well, I tried a game with unmodded FfH and everything ran smoothly. So, its definately my personal modmod. Thanks for the help anyways.

If any modders look at this, are there any specific things that might cause the problem I am having? I've only made xml changes and almost all of those are new editions, not even edits of existing ones. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Well, I tried a game with unmodded FfH and everything ran smoothly. So, its definately my personal modmod. Thanks for the help anyways.

If any modders look at this, are there any specific things that might cause the problem I am having? I've only made xml changes and almost all of those are new editions, not even edits of existing ones. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Shouldn't be possible to break saves with only XML changes. Save crashes are most common when there is data in the save game that the load process isnt expecting (which is all done in the SDK) or data missing in the save that the load process needs (which would also be in the SDK).

My first guess, and its not a very good one, would be that its coming from the event load because I used to get weird save game load problems when there was something wrong with them. I would start by backing out any changes with them first.

But thats going to be your basic process. Make one of your changes, start a game, save load. If that didnt crash make the next one until the crashes start and you know what change is doing it.

Any ideas are better than what I have now (which is nothing). I will try the events, and if that fails, I think I will actually try rebuilding my mod from scratch and testing as I go.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. If I figure out what is causing my problem I will post it here. Maybe it will help someone else out.

Top Bottom