Guess the New Civs

I think Asia is perhaps still likely, maybe we're overthinking the role of the scenarios at this point. I think I would personally be most interested in Vietnam out of the Asian options, but Indonesia would have the ability to perhaps sell more copies with the higher population.

Not exactly . I guess adding Majahapit or not wouldn't influence so much in the sellings on Indonesia . What most of the people want is that the 9th civ will be a non-european civ and a Civilization that never have been represented before as an Civilization(just being represented as a city-state) .

You can't add Indonesia as Indonesia. This is not a civilization, but a modern state which is nothing but what the Dutch happened to collect in the region plus some minor post-colony acquisitions. I'd generally oppose the inclusion of states like Canada, Brazil and Australia, which are likewise no more than post-colonial states (though all are neo-colonial in themselves in relation to the native people still subjugated, particularly Indonesia).

DLC though sort of encourages these. That's why, I guess, we have Denmark rather than Scandinavia now, cause you can sell the other two Scandinavian countries later on DLC.

You can add Indonesia as "Indonesia",we can't add individual empires,these are not civilizations.
Indonesia has a rich history of unification and partitation.
But if we are going to name Indonesia Nusantara or another name then some people may not know what that is.

Pangur Bán;11399780 said:
You can't add Indonesia as Indonesia. This is not a civilization, but a modern state which is nothing but what the Dutch happened to collect in the region plus some minor post-colony acquisitions. I'd generally oppose the inclusion of states like Canada, Brazil and Australia, which are likewise no more than post-colonial states (though all are neo-colonial in themselves in relation to the native people still subjugated, particularly Indonesia).

Well,USA is a post-colonial state . And unlike other post-colonial countries,Brazilian culture has the influence of many cultures and Portuguese culture is just one of them,instead being the main source of culture(even Japanese people have left their print on Brazilian culture) .

You can add Indonesia as "Indonesia",we can't add individual empires,these are not civilizations.
Indonesia has a rich history of unification and partitation.
But if we are going to name Indonesia Nusantara or another name then some people may not know what that is.

Indonesia is an invention of Dutch colonialism, my friend. Its territory is otherwise arbitrary and it is in no sense a coherent "civilization".

Well,USA is a post-colonial state . And unlike other post-colonial countries,Brazilian culture has the influence of many cultures and Portuguese culture is just one of them,instead being the main source of culture(even Japanese people have left their print on Brazilian culture) .

Well, every state is in some sense post-colonial and every culture is "multi-cultural" in origin. I buy America as a modern civilization because of its modern power and distinctiveness. It differs in this sense from Brazil, and other smaller less independent English offshoots like Australia and Canada are obviously nothing like comparable.

What most of the people want is that the 9th civ will be a non-european civ and a Civilization that never have been represented before as an Civilization(just being represented as a city-state).

That is your view. I dont have anything against having more European civilizations and I could almost bet that the last civ is Sweden.

Im happy that the people actually making the game have more sense than most Civ fans. Surprisingly many people want "Civs" like Inuit, Sioux, Canada and Australia - I really hope Firaxis is not listening.

I think Venice would be interesting given that Rome has a limited use of modern Italian cities; however, it probably duplicates too much territory.

Well, everyone in Europe duplicates too much of Rome's territory :p

Venice's cities were essentially in northern Italy, modern Croatia and other Balkan states, Crete, etc. There's a nice little gap on the other side of the Adriatic where their cities are not yet done. I don't think they'll be added, but they can be unique.

I think the biggest knock against them is there might actually be too many naval civs at the moment.

Another European civ would be my worst nightmare.
If they release an Asian civ as Indonesia or Tibet,then I may buy it.
But if they go for another European civ then they can forget my loyalty to Civilization V.
I am sorry but are you taking the Civilization inclusion of this game that seriously. I am sure they will add more Asian civs as time goes on. As someone else said the reason why Europe has more civs is because of the continous shift of land power while still remaining a world influence. Through and through civ 5 is still a great game that you should continue playing, do you really want to miss out on some of the new features?

Well, everyone in Europe duplicates too much of Rome's territory :p

Venice's cities were essentially in northern Italy, modern Croatia and other Balkan states, Crete, etc. There's a nice little gap on the other side of the Adriatic where their cities are not yet done. I don't think they'll be added, but they can be unique.

I think the biggest knock against them is there might actually be too many naval civs at the moment.

Meh, Venice is better represented as a mere city-state. Pisa and Genoa also had overseas lands, hell, even Ragusa had a strip of land in India, but they were not really world changers were they? They didn't have any big participations in great wars or anything...

I'd like to see the Majapahits as the ninth civilization, their inclusion would be most interesting as people don't really know much about them, even though they had quite an empire... :p

Venice did have participation in major wars. They were an economic and naval powerhouse and fought against the Ottoman Empire. I personally think they are better candidates for a mod, I just wanted to defend the idea that they were actually more than just a city-state.

Venice's power was checked in the 1500s though. Pope Julius II made a Holy League of jealous Italian States, Austria, France, Holy Romans, and Hungarians to finally knock Venice out of its power. From then on out it remained unconquered, but weakened till 1796 when the Austrians took controll

I agree. Still, they had a decent time period of success starting around 1000 AD.

Venice is small-fry. Sure it appears important if you focus on the eastern Med in late middle ages/early modern period, but this game is global in scope and broad in chronological coverage. Venice as a potential full civilization is surely preposterous. Venice is more like a sub-Byzantine corporation ruthlessly exploiting the disappearance of its state's power than something like Russia or the Egyptians.

Yeah, but the game has always focused on relative powers of civilizations in their respective "known worlds" at the time. Like I said, I don't think they're high on the list, but I wouldn't put them on the bottom either.

So, just for those who wanted to know (Sorry if this has been done already), these are the Civilizations from previous games and expansions that are not yet present:

• Holy Roman Empire
  • Portugal
  • Sumeria
  • Mali
  • Zulu
  • Hittites
  • Khmer
  • Sioux
For the record, my money's on Zulu.

Venice did have participation in major wars. They were an economic and naval powerhouse and fought against the Ottoman Empire. I personally think they are better candidates for a mod, I just wanted to defend the idea that they were actually more than just a city-state.

They were that, and those six galleases at the Battle of Lepanto sent many Turks to the other world in October 7, of 1571. I would say from 1000-1100 on they were on there way to have huge influence trading in the Med. Not only that they were one of the most advanced civilizations in Europe. Look at how citizens in Venice lived in their normal everyday lives compared to the rest of Europe at the time. Its really quite a disparity. I would to see Venice as a civ, if not now at some point.

You might get some heat for saying that. There are some big Zulu haters on here.:lol: As for me I would not mind. I have always been interested in the Zulus.

Though lately, I have been reading up on Sumer, so they are my choice. At first, I thought they'd be boring or insignificant. I have changed my mind about that. :)

So, just for those who wanted to know (Sorry if this has been done already), these are the Civilizations from previous games and expansions that are not yet present:

• Holy Roman Empire
  • Portugal
  • Sumeria
  • Mali
  • Zulu
  • Hittites

Also, Khmer.

I would say, of those, Sumer and Zulu are the most logical. Going back to my initial analysis, Holy Roman Empire, Khmer, and Mali are unlikely. Portugal is out. While it could be the Hittites, Sumeria and the Zulu have strength of multiple inclusion.

Top Bottom