While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
In DnD4, I'm a Gnome Wizard, lvl 3, in Keep of the Shadowfell right after we capture that fat goblin "chief" guy. The thing is, I try to roleplay and it fails, and we try to make combat interesting only for our Rules Lawyer too slow everything down. "Wait, wait! If I attack first we can all get +2 damage! You shift here... you shift here... You walk here... Great! Wait! If the enemies take their turns they'll turn towards Alex (defender, Rhogar the Dragonborn High-Rolling Fighter) and I can damage more with my aura. Wait... Wait... Oh damn, Chuck (Kriv, me) almost got killed again (4th time!). I guess I need to heal... wait. If I switch my feat...". Runepriest buffing everybody and their girlfriends too while trying to switch his 3.5 rule lawyering to the 4.0 version.

How can I, as a player, get more roleplay in? How can I get sessions to happen more often (seriously, it took our DM a year to "prepare" the module. Then he freezes on the first page so he can choose the right hook. Que 20 minutes of reading through the module.) Average meeting span- 4 months in between.

Also, I am going dead end in several stories I am working at in various NESes. I'm afraid of introducing a new plotline because it might thin out my attention even more, but then the current situation shows more towards waiting and seeing instead of doing and writing. And I don't want to introduce even more characters for me to keep track of. So, when would you know you have "creative overload", or is this just "writer's block"?

Thanks!

I have fire ball scrolls and a flames potion. when I hold them, I do not know what to press to get them to do anything. Mouse clicks do not seem to do anything.

I am a level 6 fighter type using two handed weapons. I am currently at the final battle in Hellgrun's tomb and cannot make much headway. I only have 4 minor healing potions and some food. Dieing is quick and easy.

If I leave to improve my skills and levels and come back, will the dungeon be empty?

The dungeon will still be there, you can leave and level up, though the enemies may respawn and they might get tougher as well.

Since I play on PS3, the correct way to fire spells is... clicking both your things together. But I also notice you have a scroll, which is a one time thing that you can use, and the fire potion as far as I can tell can augment the fire you cast. If you check your magic, under Destruction there should be "Flames", which is a spell that can be cast as long as you left and right click at the same time until you run out of mana.

Hope that helped, Birdjaguar.

How can I, as a player, get more roleplay in? How can I get sessions to happen more often (seriously, it took our DM a year to "prepare" the module. Then he freezes on the first page so he can choose the right hook. Que 20 minutes of reading through the module.) Average meeting span- 4 months in between.

That is a typical case of middle school roleplaying. The DM isn't capable of planning efficiently, or potentially even being creative, and lacks motivation to boot. When I DM for a table crowd, I usually start the night off by calling a roll for initiative to get everyone directly into their roles without the early game lack of focus.

So... how much time would you have before diving in? He usually gives us 30 minutes to check up our characters (and let the rules Lawyer argue with him) since the others usually forgot them (my 1st two sessions are back to back, so I guess that luck was with me), we'd play an hour and usually finish an encounter, as well as any introductory reading from Shadowfell->Pizza. Then we have 2 hours for 2-3 more encounters, followed by 30 minutes of people looking up feats and the Rules Lawyer going at it again.

He did handle some situations as well. In the Pit when rescuing Douvan Stall- our Artificer crit a Guard Wyrmling (or whatever), shot out an eye, and it took out a rabble behind it. Our Seeker shoot crystal shards and blew up two rabble and a tree. Then I cast burst of fire and took out the rest. I had a minor action left so I caught the skirmisher's pants on fire-he ran after failing a save or something after seeing all his neighboring warriors get destroyed. :p

Generally you want to aim for 4 hours of prep time for any given session. Rules lawyering is one of my least favorite things, and I force people to leave my table if they act like that.

The dungeon will still be there, you can leave and level up, though the enemies may respawn and they might get tougher as well.

Since I play on PS3, the correct way to fire spells is... clicking both your things together. But I also notice you have a scroll, which is a one time thing that you can use, and the fire potion as far as I can tell can augment the fire you cast. If you check your magic, under Destruction there should be "Flames", which is a spell that can be cast as long as you left and right click at the same time until you run out of mana.

I'll try that. Thanks.

for cast spells, you hold your left/right/both click until its charged and then you release
for constant spells (flames, frostbite,ect) you hold click until your finished with the spell.

You are playing it on the correct game system :high5:

You are playing it on the correct game system :high5:

:high5: yep, love PS3.

In regards to mods... I'd like to have a PC that could run any game built beyond 2008 without slowing down/crashing for a low price. The mods look interesting, but I'll probably not be trying them out until several years from now.

I play strategy games on PC (for the mods mostly, as well as playablity) other than that its all PS3 for me.

Would you all have any objections to a Skyrim thread in the NESing forum? It is not likely that a new subforum will be started and I cannot think of any better place within the existing structure. IT might attract folks to NESing.

It seems to me that a single thread would be sufficient. Opinions? Suggestions?

Would you all have any objections to a Skyrim thread in the NESing forum? It is not likely that a new subforum will be started and I cannot think of any better place within the existing structure. IT might attract folks to NESing.

It seems to me that a single thread would be sufficient. Opinions? Suggestions?

Sounds good. A Skyrim NES thread sounds nice.

Yeah, AoG is definitely a better place. We've gotten threads banned for less than that before- of course that was pre-Birdjaguar.

Would it be possible for Paradox games to get their own subforum in Other Games here?

I wouldn't go with a Skyrim NES, I'd set it after and have the Stormcloaks win so that you could add another faction. Unless you wanted to make it an RPG game, but even then I would think it could be set during the Aldmeri-Imperial war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom