NESCraft

Yes, it does. The cut off point was Patchy, in order of who posted first. But in terms of balancing start positions and etc, I decided I really needed to throw your character in there this turn. So my apologies to Patchy!

Update 0 in about 4 hours maybe! I am really not sure how long this will take...

I love you, take your time! :)

A murder of players will make it in by the second update.

An unspecified number of crows will make it into the 2nd update?

Precisely. Or a Gaggle, a Fleet, a Collection, however you want to label it.

I'd rather a few additional players made it in the 2nd update but whatever floats your boat...

I'd rather a few additional players made it in the 2nd update but whatever floats your boat...

You could even say that the second wave of players are coming.

Darn, Herobrine will not make his appearance til the 2nd update...

OOC: I have had some graphical issues, and am in dire need of sleep! Just seven players get a spotlight tonight, to get the ball rolling. I humbly ask for your patience. I should be able to add another batch of players tomorrow. This is a highly experimental game and I am still working out how it will play - if graphics and details are taking too long, I WILL streamline things so I can handle more players at once, which was the original aim of this NES. :salute:

Day 0

Link to video.

A blazing sun rises over this mysterious world, moving with noticeable pace above the curved horizon. It will complete its journey across the sky in just a few hours. Life stirs into action, ready to make the most of the day.

The usual daily dramas begin to unfold; predators cause stampedes of prey. Rowdy animals squabble with each other. Clouds and rainstorms gather and disperse. Yet, this morning is different. It begins with a thunderous sound and a flash of light, followed by glowing orbs plummeting to the ground: the first batch of newcomers have arrived...

Immaculate

You find yourself in a bamboo forest, a mix of young shoots and towering older plants. A Giant Panda has approached and is staring at you intently. The air is already warm, and the area seems fairly quiet, with other Pandas happily munching their way through stacks of bamboo shoots. You glimpse a body of water sparkling on the southern horizon, and a gentle breeze blows from this direction. There are hints of distant mountains beyond, peeking above the water.

Arrow Gamer

You find yourself in a valley, surrounded by rolling hills, with large boulders here and there. A large cave entrance is nearby. It is comfortably warm, but there is a certain tension in the air, you sense hunters are on the prowl. A wide range of animals seem to make their home in these hills, judging by the sounds that echo across the valley. Your view is obstructed by hills, but you can see a major river to the south, and what seems to be a shallow crossing point. This seems to be a favourite spot for Hippos. Beyond the river, a dusty haze seems to fill the southern horizon.

Omega124

You have arrived upon a small hill, and from this vantage point you survey your surroundings. First and foremost, a giant isolated mountain looms to the north, its peak covered in snow. A freezing wind gusts from this direction – the nights here must be rather indeed. You realise you are rather cold already, and it seems a scattering of snow has fallen recently. The mountainside seems to be holed by a large cavern. A major river crosses the foot of the mountain, and you see large bears fishing in the shallows, guarding the approach. The rest of the area seems heavily forested, with colourful flower meadows poking through in places, and mighty horned beasts roaming.

Merciary

You have appeared in the middle of a forest, largely obstructing your view of the distance. The howl of wolves has immediately put you on edge, and you hear a herd of deer scattering. A small lake glimmers through the trees to the north west. Soaring mountaintops loom in the south west, large enough to be seen above the trees, though they seem very distant. With the foliage providing shelter from the wind, it is comfortably mild.

Nintz

You are standing at the edge of a large meadow, surrounded by trees and a lake. One of the first things you notice is the freezing wind biting your skin. Then you notice the terrifying giant mammoths that have come to drink at the lake, but they evidently take no notice of you. A larger body of water lies to the north, part of the shoreline seems rather steep. A mixture of hills and bodies of water seem to lie in every direction. Some of the hills are covered in a scattering of snow.

Eltain

You have arrived close to a major river, in an area that seems rather hot and dusty, but subject to regular flooding. A collection of boulders, animal bones and tusks lies nearby. Although it is still morning, it is already getting uncomfortably hot. The only shade seems to be a group of trees on the other side of the river, which seems crossable at this point, but you can see large crocodiles basking there. An arid-looking plateau rises to the west, and the river turns north towards a horizon of rolling hills. Dusty haze obscures the southern and eastern horizons. Everywhere you look, tall hardy grass grows in abundance, and there are plenty of grazers working their way through it.

Talonschild

You arrive amidst towering golden grass. Struggling for a view of the distance, it seems hills and plateaus rise in almost every direction, dotted with trees. Huge, distant mountaintops are in the north west. More open grassland lies to the south, but a distant roar lets you know this is lion pride territory, and survival instincts kick in. Grumpy rhinos are also roaming the grassland. The large river to the north seems to stretch endlessly from east to west, and you can see no obvious crossing point.

-----------------------------------------

Now – Day 1 Actions!

Immaculate, Arrow Gamer, Omega124, merciary, Bintz, Eltain, talonschild:

All of you have 3 AP, except Immaculate and talonschild who rolled a bonus from being Energetic and so have 4AP (unfair?).

All of you can invest an AP in foraging for seeds, insects, fruit etc. This is a good way to avoid starvation, though it is not especially fulfilling, and does make you vulnerable to ambush by predators. Those of you in lush areas have at least a 75% chance of finding enough food for a day, per AP (or basically guaranteed if you have Herbal Lore). Eltain is in a more arid area, and there is probably only a 50% chance that enough forage can be found there.

None of you lack access to basic sticks or rocks at this point.

Omega and Nintz face the problem of cold. If you do not want to risk sleeping in a cave, it may be best to stay up late and build a fire.

Eltain faces the opposite problem of heat exhaustion if she (character she) gets no shelter during the day. Sorry, Eltain!

Small animals such as goats and boar may be successfully hunted with a simple blunt stick, but this is still risky. Boar can kill!

You can move within the visible area for free. One AP's worth of movement will take you past the edge of your visible area. There is nothing to stop you moving even further in one turn, though you will not know in advance where you are going!

Reminder that the crafting options on the front page are just suggestions. It is an open book and you are free to experiment.

Turn 1 will bring another batch of new players (I'm not sure how many, sorry!). Some time soon, there will be an event that will create a kind of navigation marker, so everyone will have a direction to a common point of origin. Eventually, I will switch to having one big zoomed-out map, as explored areas become connected by player's travels.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Please feel free to post!

Sleeping now. Stats and stuff later!

:salute:

Thought you said I had made the cutoff point?

SOOOOOOOOO PRETTTTY

and good music. Well done. Very cute.

I'm so jealous of all you people who made the cutoff. I was too busy running the KGB this weekend. :(

Daft, to accept new people, will you just be going down the list?

Eltain: Day 1

1 AP: Bend the tall, hardy grasses in my region over and create a small shady area. A grass hut, if you will. Better than roasting in the sun. If this is in a windy area so much the better. Maybe some little bugs will be found as I work the grass. See if I can collect a large amount of grass as well. Don't forget that I have the Builder trait.

1 AP: forage in the muds around the river for grubs, molusks, river snakes, fish, eggs, frogs, what have you. Also attempt to eat small plants or flowers.

1 AP: Fashion a primitive spear out of rocks and sticks. If gathering rocks and sticks is required beforehand with a separate AP action, instead invest this time in more foraging. I do what I gotta to survive.

I hope all of these actions take 1 AP.

Immaculate

Smile and wave at pandas. Whenever they are near move slowly so as not to scare them. But when there is free time watch them- not because i want anything-just because they are cool- they're pandas- thats awesome.

1AP: Build a stone axe from the nearby rocks and bamboo.
1AP: Go foraging for fruits and seeds (cautiously -do not antagonize animals- keep ax at the ready)
1AP: Cut down some bamboo to make timber.
1AP: Rest. (lightly... and with my ax clutched tightly)

talonschild

Questions: Is that monkey in the tree? Or is it merely north of it, being just at a bad angle? What is that thing in the rocks? And how does Inventiveness work? Do you PM me with additional build fomulas from time to time?

Move to the northwest tree, collecting Grass and Rocks along the way. Collect Sticks once there.
1 AP - Craft Rocks and Sticks into Stone Axe. If Stone Tools are required make them instead.
1 AP - Craft Grass into String.
1 AP - REVISED REVISED REVISED Hunt a goat using Stone Axe. Use Stone Knife if Stone Axe was not made.
1 AP - Sleep in the tree.

EDIT: Thanks, Eltain. Guess I'm hunting something else.

That is a bison's skull in the rocks, talons.

This is awesome! I'm currently writing a "song" of genesis that I'll sing to everyone in verses as soon as I join. Think improvised pling plong guitar and sung voice over an account similar to what I know of traditional mythos. :)

Artistic and charm is probably the most useless combo in the beginning of the game xD I can't wait to run into other people and be only half-useful. Also, NK, screw you (lovingly) for making me feel less special! I know it's an edit, you!

Omega
1 AP- Build a nice primitive spear out of rock and the stick. Collect additonal sticks as well for later use
1 AP- Go fishing with the new spear; collect raw fish
1 AP- Find a safe area within the forests (I doubt the bunnies will try to kill me, so maybe there) and light a fire. Cook the fish and eat them. Sleep by the fire.

Thanks guys :)

I will update again later today (it is currently late morning UK time). If I get a couple more orders for the above I will update the actions, else I may just expand update 0 into update 0.5 and add more people.

Thought you said I had made the cutoff point?

Actually I was going to skip you in favour of lord joakim :p But both of you should be in the next update.

I'm so jealous of all you people who made the cutoff. I was too busy running the KGB this weekend. :(

Daft, to accept new people, will you just be going down the list?

Generally yes, but if it works better to skip ahead one or two, based on preferences and etc, then I will do that.

talonschild

Questions: Is that monkey in the tree? Or is it merely north of it, being just at a bad angle? What is that thing in the rocks? And how does Inventiveness work? Do you PM me with additional build fomulas from time to time?

Yes :) I had in mind that Inventiveness will work exactly like that, except that it will be relevant. You won't get random inspiration for boats if you live in the middle of a desert.

The 'monkey' is up in the tree, yes. To demonstrate these are creatures that can climb. Be aware you are really looking at a large, heavy, baboon-gorilla hybrid type creature, with very strong arms.

This is awesome! I'm currently writing a "song" of genesis that I'll sing to everyone in verses as soon as I join. Think improvised pling plong guitar and sung voice over an account similar to what I know of traditional mythos. :)

Artistic and charm is probably the most useless combo in the beginning of the game xD I can't wait to run into other people and be only half-useful. Also, NK, screw you (lovingly) for making me feel less special! I know it's an edit, you!

Sound awesome LJ! Yes, some traits are less useful when you are alone fighting for survival in the wilderness, but respect to you for choosing that combo :)

Top Bottom