NESCraft

Hawaii?

It is night. I should've punched out some trees.

You fool, it's the coal that you have to find!

Indeed, what's your current KDR?

Greater than 1/0.

Day 1

Immaculate

You spend the morning crafting yourself a fine stone axe. It gives you a sense of reassurance as you begin to forage for food at mid-day, the bamboo canopy keeping the blazing sun off your back. The creatures of the forest keep their distance, and you are able to dine on a variety of herbs and roots – for which you seem to have a forager instinct – as well as juicy insects and grubs. You spend the afternoon chopping bamboo, with success, accumulating two loads of useful 'timber'. As night falls you find a sheltered spot beneath the bamboo canopy to sleep. Animal noises and biting insects mean you are somewhat less than comfortable, but you are able to rest for a good while.

You awake with 4 AP (+1 Energetic roll).

Arrow Gamer

Spear in hand, you are ready to go hunting for rabbits at mid-day. But your efforts are frustrated. These are elusive critters, disappearing into their burrows or bounding away into the distance. Practise makes perfect, but you go hungry this time. You retreat to the nearby cave as night falls. Inside the cave, you discover a strange glowing yellow mineral that casts a gentle light over the cave as you get to sleep; getting as comfortable as you can upon the hard stone floor, trying to ignore the strange variety of noises outside.

You awake hungry and light-headed, but not yet starving. You have 3 AP.

Omega124

Heading down to the river to fish, spear in hand, you seem to be blessed with beginner's luck. The bears occupy the best fishing spots, and you keep your distance. You are shivering from the cold, but you are nonetheless able to spear yourself a handful of fish. As night falls, and a bitter cold descends, you retreat to the woods to light a fire. You stay up late getting it lit, and manage to cook and eat only some of your fish before a pack of wolves turns up, apparently attracted by the fire. Now your braveheart instinct kicks in, and you madly wield your spear and a flaming stick to drive them away. The wolves instinctively retreat from this strange, tall, firey creature.

Victorious, you devour the rest of your meal, and doze for only a little while before the sun rises and the dawn chorus begins. You feel you will need a good rest at the end of this day. You have 3 AP ( -1 tiredness and cold, +1 food).

Merciary

You equip yourself with a set of stone tools, and grab a large stick for good measure. This makes foraging easier, and you have some good luck, chomping on apples, seeds, and juicy grubs. As night falls, you climb a tree and get as comfortable as you can. You are soon awoken by a pack of wolves at the base of the tree, but they seem more curious than aggressive, and the shadowy shapes soon disperse back into the dark woods, leaving you to spend the rest of the night in peace.

You awake with 3 AP (moderately well fed, but not enough for a bonus AP).

Nintz

You begin the day with an incantation to the spirits, asking for protection. It seems to work, for you are unassailed as you begin walking south-west, where you sense you will find shelter. Cold bites your skin as you cross snow-dusted hills and pine forests. You spend some time foraging, but unfortunately can rustle up only a handful of seeds and edible tubers to gnaw on before night falls. The night is bitterly cold, and even in the shelter of the cave, you feel it draining away your energy.

You awake feeling tired and weak, but for now your hardy nature is keeping you going. At least, it seems a little warmer now you have ventured south, but a cold breeze still drives from the north. A wild cat shared the cave with you, and is startled as you begin to stir, though it seems more curious than afraid of you.

From your new position, you can see what look like large bodies of water to the south and east.

You have 3 AP.

Eltain

You spend the morning crafting a sun shelter from the tall grass, with success, and you are impressed with your handiwork. At midday you head down to the river to forage. In the mud, you are able to find some juicy worms and insects. As you forage, you hear a noise behind you – you quickly turn round to see a big cat starting at you. Apparently, it had been stalking you and was about to pounce, before it hesitated and decided that it wasn't that interested in eating you after all.

But in your moment of distraction, a crocodile lunged from the water and grabbed your leg from behind. Being dragged leg-first into the river, with no weapons, there is little you can do as other crocodiles join the attack. Your world becomes a torrent of crushing pain and suffocation. In your moment of agony, you suddenly feel a sense of release and elation. Your sense of time and space become distorted.

You have become a Ghost. The Great Light comforts you, and calls to you to return for new adventures, and you feel a great longing to do so. However, you may haunt the land if you wish.

Talonschild

You spend all morning and mid-day crafting yourself a stone axe and a length of string. To collect wood and stone, you venture west where you have some stand-offs with argumentative giant bamboon-apes. But by the afternoon, you emerge unscathed and equipped for the days hunting. You have seen goats roaming the hills in the east, and you begin to climb the cliffs and hills to pursue them. You do not have much luck, however; these are wary, sprightly, and sure-footed beasts, and you end the day with a sprained ankle and numerous other bruises. Lessons are learned, and you are hardy enough to shrug off the pain, but today you retreat to a tree to sleep, defeated and hungry. The day's exertions have left you feeling painfully hungry.

You awake with 3 AP (-1 Hunger, +1 Energetic roll). Your ankle will heal if you spend a day without travelling far. If you do wish to travel over the horizon, it will cost you 2AP to do so.

You look up to see balls of white light descending from the sky, falling to earth at various points on the horizon...

Newcomers

* All of you start with 3 AP, except Patchy who rolled +1 Energetic bonus.

Alex994

You are on a forested, rather mountainous peninsular. Steep slopes lead down to an expanse of water, the other side of which seems to be made up of spectacular mountains – layer upon layer of peaks disappear over the south and western horizons. A chilly breeze hits you from the north-east. Hills and forests lie to the east, while across the river mouth to the north there seems to be large grassy plains. A noisy colony of sealions occupies the sandy beach in the south-east.

tuxedohamm

The red-haired mistress of the woods has arrived on a raised peninsular, in the middle of what appears to be a large lake, expanding as far as you can see in the west. Hills and forests flank the shore on all sides, with a few larger peaks seen far to the south and west. Giant geese patrol the waters, which seem to be teeming with fish. It is beautiful; the air is cold however, and your hardy nature will be well tested here.

Lord of Elves

You have arrived in a mixed terrain of trees and grassland, the air pleasantly warm against your skin. To the south, numerous streams converge to form the beginnings of a substantial river. Elephants are wandering here, and you sense fierce predators are on the prowl too, stalking the crowds of zebras. In all directions you can see broken clumps of trees with hills beyond.

North King

The air is thin and uncomfortably hot. Mirages and dusty haze obscure the horizon on all sides. Here you may wish to seek shelter from the sun at mid-day, rather than rest at night. Thirst will also assail you. Clumps of hardy vegetation suggest there is a little moisture to be found in the ground.

Patchy

You are in a hot, dusty plain, a little distance from what seems like a verdant jungle in the south. Golden cliffs lie far to the east and west, while the north seems fairly flat and green. Strange rocky mounds are also nearby. You may want to seek shelter from the sun at mid-day.

Angst

You have arrived in a very scenic spot. Trees and hills surround you on all sides. A single large mountain in the south, the sight of which fills you with a slight sense of unease. There seems to be a large body of water in the north. The climate here is comfortably mild, despite a cold breeze from the north. Noisy flocks of giant geese patrol the river in the north-west.

Milarqui

You have arrived in a field of beautiful flowers. A cold wind blows from the north. A single, majestic mountain rises on the north-west, otherwise the surroundings seem a mixture of trees and lush fields. Giant horned beasts roam the land, and there some especially frightening-looking boar-like creatures foraging nearby.

Optical

The first thing you notice is the bitter cold biting you skin, with a harsh wind blowing from the north. Your first priority here may be shelter or clothing. The area is beautiful, for all its harshness; giant swans swim in the large lake to the north, beyond which seems to be a huge expanse of snowy trees. The sandy shore turns to steep cliffs in the east. Large bears are foraging for berries in the meadows to the west, beyond which a lonely snow-capped mountain rises in the distance.

Lord_Herobrine

You are on a raised plateau, offering pleasing views of a large river that snakes around from the south to the east. The climate is pleasantly mild. The west and eastern horizons seems to be open plains, and in the west there are great mountains beyond. You currently share the land with a herd of very large and intimidating cow-like creatures. The small lake to your west seems to be restless with fish.

Seon

You have landed in a mixed terrain that seems to blend into forests further south and open plains to the north. A mixture of wildlife is nearby, including some huge terrifying creatures that shake the ground as they move. The air is warm, with a cooling westerly breeze. Yet you sense you should shelter from the sun at mid-day. You see raised plateaus to the north and distant mountains to the west.

Now – Day 2 Begins

* Campfires can be re-lit for free once built, though they wont last forever.

This game may not be especially fair and balanced, but for one thing, I will be giving advantages to living in the cold and extreme heat. Apologies to Eltain, but it is actually lucky that no others were killed this turn. I have been rolling some dice to aid my decision making.

I share concerns that some have expressed over this NES becoming over-expanded and crashing out early, as I have a history of doing. But once I finished playing around with the graphics, it was actually very easy to update this time. I may soon switch to a single combined map. In any case, I am determined to sacrifice graphics and narrative in order to keep the game going, if I have to.

The random 3rd trait has been rescinded as of this time. Too many traits to keep track of. You may however be able to pick up traits from other humans, if and when you meet them and spend time with them.

A list of players/stats/inventories will come soon.

I may not add any players next time, depending on how well I cope with all the orders. Sorry!

Please feel free to comment with ideas, thoughts, questions and suggestions, as well as orders for Day 2.

:salute:

What's the animal to my left, on my side of the river?

So cute! I love the little people!

EDIT: Poor Eltain... but cute little ghost.

Great update, yay for not being eaten by wolves. Lets hope for an energetic roll next time.

Merciary

1 AP: Craft my stick into a spear
1 AP: Try my luck at hunting Deer with my Spear
1 AP: Sleep in the tree again, the wolves might not be aggressive but lets not push it until I get some food

Would hunting in the jungle at midday count as shelter from the sun?

Immaculate:

1 AP: Go foraging for fruit and seeds. If i can, gather some seeds that might be suitable for planting in a garden. (Prioritize eating for today though.)
2 AP: Build a nice little dwelling out of the bamboo timber i've collected. EDIT: I really want to be closer to the water but i am worried about getting ambushed along the way without my axe. So, compromising, build about halfway between the water and the rocks where i am currently located. Make sure that i have my ax ready for when i am actually doing the building.
1 AP: Sleepies in my nice new dwelling.

Looking forward to seeing the graphics for my bamboo dwelling. (if i live)

SO SIMPLE AND SO FUN. Thanks Daft.

I forgot to say, all new people have 3 AP, except Patchy who rolled +1 AP bonus!

What's the animal to my left, on my side of the river?

That would be a reindeer-like creature. When I say clothing or shelter are important, a fire would also keep you warm enough.

Would hunting in the jungle at midday count as shelter from the sun?

Yes it would, but watch out for things lurking there! PS you have 4AP to spend this turn.

Immaculate:

1 AP: Go foraging for fruit and seeds. If i can, gather some seeds that might be suitable for planting in a garden. Prioritize eating for today though. Be cautious.
2 AP: Build a nice little dwelling out of the bamboo timber i've collected. Preferably at the water's edge in the south-west corner of my current territory. Be cautious. If there is aggressive appearing creatures in the region, back away and build closer to my current location.
1 AP: Sleepies in my nice new dwelling.

Looking forward to seeing the graphics for my bamboo dwelling. (if i live)

SO SIMPLE AND SO FUN. Thanks Daft.

Thankyou :)) Be aware that it takes two hands to drag heavy loads such as timber. It is a short distance to the water so that is fine, however you will not have your axe handy when going back and forth. Timber could be used a makeshift weapon I suppose!

Signing off :salute:

Seon:

Pick up some stones from the rock pile. Move towards the water with the seals in them, pausing shortly to pick up a stick from the tree. Also pick up some grass midway as well.

1 AP: Combine the stick and the stone to make a stone spear.
1 AP: Spear at the ready, weave some grass together to form linen! Sleep on that in the shadows of the tree. Screw the midday sun.
1 AP: Once evening comes, hunt that damn seal. Wait on the side of the beach, waiting for a seal to slip up and go too far away from the water and perhaps away from its pack, and then slowly approach it until it notices me. Then rush it and skewer it.

If successful, drag the carcass back to the tree. Eat as much of it as possible before climbing up the tree to sleep.

Patchy:
1 AP: Convert grass into string
1 AP: Craft a sling using sticks and string
1 AP: Go hunting in the jungle (using rocks as ammunition)
1 AP: Go to sleep under the tree in the plains

WATCH OUT SEON THERE IS A SNAKE HIDDEN IN THE GRASS

May I be re-born elsewhere, or should I make a new character and wait for the next wave?

Also, what would haunting the land entail? Could I cause mischief?

Optical

1 AP: Break a branch off the nearby pine tree and feed it to the 'reindeer' to my left
1 AP: Climb the deciduous-looking tree to get leaves. Stay in the tree for shelter.
1 AP: Tie leaves together to make a loincloth covering my lower half down to my knees, and a vest covering my chest. Sleep.

Top Bottom