Our Terrible Purpose

The Nivian College:

When the Zirrafim Host smote down the Khthonic lords, the screaming earth itself was rent asunder. Nivial, He of the Thousand Arms, Conductor of the Great Minor Chorus, Wise-Magi of the Kthonians, and Lieutenant to Apollyon-Kotet himself was torn from his Ice throne by Mammoun, Golden Helmed Captain of the Zirraf. Their struggle lasted for both an age and an hour, and boiled the frozen seas around them. Thrice The Thousand-handed one pinned his aggressor against the cold stone, and Thrice Mammoun’s flaming blade clove through the arms holding him. Nine-hundred and ninety eight cleft arms stewed in the steaming brine, and finally Mammoun turned the tide, flipping the Kthonian over and pressing his gasping maw under the waves until even the once mighty lord could not will his life on. Raising the body of his fallen foe once in triumph, The Zirraf’s burning sword consumed the fallen in a great conflageration, till nothing remained of the one who had held nearly a quarter of the Algid Earth in his grasp, nothing but a whispered echo in the winds above the ocean, a murmur of ancient strife in the crash of the waves.

Onyx haired Mammoun, Glancing about him at the devastation wrought by the fallen wise-man, wrought by their righteous struggle, swore upon the very foundations of the earth never to speak to any of the site of the struggle. He cast the broken Ice throne deep into a chasm of the living earth, and with it his fallen foe’s raging army. With the force born of his golden purpose, Mammoun smote the Chasm closed, so that none may ever find it.
An age passed, and not once did he return to the location of the titanic struggle. Even when The Shining Captain finished his work and smote down the Nivias Rozier, forsaking the Algid Earth upon the death of his General, he refused to give his fallen foe undeserved respect in memory.

The Great Magician Nale, though wise and knowledgeable of many secrets and stories, had never heard that of the battle between his fallen master’s father and his slayer. And so, when he fled the Mage-strife with his followers and led them far north, to the broken shores of the sea, he knew not the import of the location. He and many of the followers of Nale heard the echo in the wind and the sorrow in the crash of the waves, and understood the power of this place. Delving deep into the skin of the earth, they quarried stone to raise the great city of Ath, it’s shining towers of white marble girded with seven strong walls.

And, when the most talented among them found themselves drawn to the tunnels from which the stone had been drawn, it seemed only natural to furnish them, to use them as a place within which to study their sacred art. The rough hewn corridors were polished by thousands of steps of use, and as the ranks of the Magi grew, so did the lengths of the tunnels. Deeper and deeper, wending down, the Nivian college was formed. those with talent travelled the world over to learn of the secrets locked within the ever shifting passageways. Rumor tells of what wonders are hidden in it’s deepest recesses, what horrors lurk in the darkest aisles of the library, what Kthonian artifices are secreted in locked vaults. Some even speak of darker things, Mages losing themselves the the catacombs for what to them is a day and seventy years to the rest of the college, adventurous students disappearing with nothing to be heard of them but an echo of despair, bound to a shadowy place.

TMG, I'd like to create a kind of "dangerously decadent court" merchant republic to be known as the League of Acahurja around this region. I'll fill out everything else later when I have something resembling free time, but I am interested in this project of yours :p

So, if I would want to create a nation in the area specified earlier (around Kuron), would I have to send you a PM with details about it?

LoE: I will talk to you.

mythmonster: Yes, I would appreciate that. Keep in mind that the Kuron are a relatively undeveloped tribal cultural group, and have irregular contact with more settled societies. Their most significant of those relationships being with traders out of Grenning along the upper reaches of the most northwesterly river draining into Baeln.

Some Considerations Of Reproduction, and Madness

The zirrafim, it is said, do not reproduce. Some scholars, most notably Pulcheron the Elder, have theorized that the number of zirrafim is a constant woven into the fabric of the universe, such as the total weight of the matter that all existence can possess, or the speed with which a mortal-made sound reaches the ears. As such, when a zirraf dies, or is killed, a small part of creation is itself destroyed.

As for the cthonim, their methods are known. The frigid lords of punishment and order were known to reproduce, but not of any coupling between them. Rather, their children split off from themselves, like a glacier leaving a great embankment of northern ice. This splitting often weakened the father, and tales of newly-born cthonim slaying and consuming their parents abound in the canon.

With that said, we must make a distinction between what can exist and what should exist. These two classes of Greater Anomic Beings are known, upon them a great body of scholarship and legendaria exists, and their doings have shaped the mortal world. It can, however, be reported with great sorrow that a third class of being is said to exist. The details, such as they are, are not properly known. However, the first rule of an investigator is that to dismiss the source of any legend is the swiftest route to the investigator's death.

Let us then report that on one occasion, a coupling between a zirraf and cthon is said to have occurred, and that the offspring of such a union *cannot* exist, and yet does. Imagine now a being with the superior intelligence and anomic capability of a cthonic or zirrafic lord, that knows with placid clarity that it cannot have a soul. The magnitude of a disaster such a being could wreak upon our world is incomprehensible, for the desires of such a creature, coupled with its natural power, could prove more devastating than the summoning of a greater demon.

All such reports indicate that it has awoken.

We have been told not to utter its name, for that it knows.

Orders will be due on Monday the 21st of April, at 8 PM EST.

Haha thanks for the Heads Up :p It doesn't really matter though at this point, since there are no players in my immediate vicinity.

Woah! I appreciate the enthusiasm, Lord_Herobrine, but your orders are supposed to be PMd to me. They're between you and me until the update is posted.

My bad though, I probably should have made the clear. You might want to edit your post.

Just a friendly reminder that orders are due Monday night!

Orders are still due tonight, but I'm instituting a 50 hour grace period lasting until 10 PM EST on Wednesday. There will be no further extensions beyond this.

Wisest Teacher,

I am comfortably ensconced in Nethrast as I write to you this letter, the first part of what I hope to be a long and fruitful correspondence. I have reviewed my predecessor's notes, and will expand upon them as I see fit.

The Nethrast-folk seem to fit broadly into two categories: sailors and merchants, hard-featured men with thick black hair, often wavy; and round-faced farmers, red and brown in their hair and light in their eyes. Phoadrim, the former... the latter, bot-standard continental peasant stock, much like those back t home.

In character, the peasants are simple and skittish. I would describe them as rodent-like: they are pleased enough to go through their unspeakably dreary lives, but will quickly flee or cower when they encounter anything out of their limited experiences. The greater part of their population reveres Heosë, in various amusing and rustic forms. They see her as a bringer of health and good harvests, which seem to be their only earthly concerns.

The Phoadrim overclass is, frankly, little better. There is a local strong-man, Heuther, who styles himself 'Lord-Guardian' of the city and surrounding countryside. From my own observations and the notes of my predecessor, his authority is purely military, and his position is supported by the 'Lords-Merchant', a seafaring gang of plutocrats with similarly bombastic titles.

However, what these men lack in worldliness, they make up for in unchecked ambition and credulity. It takes a fool to achieve the impossible, for it is he who knows no limits. I have successfully inducted a large number of these Phoadrim men, and some women, into the faith of our construction, which they refer to as 'The Blue Mysteries'. They're dreadfully easy to impress: I disintegrated one of the Lords-Merchant, being careful to pick one who was unpopular with his peers, as a demonstration of the power which could be theirs, should they heed my teachings.

I have inculcated in them our account of the downfall of the Kthonim, and the usurpation by the Zirrafim. They are now prepared, and eager to learn. With your permission, I would like to proceed to the second stage of our plan.

Your unfailingly loyal student,

Domovoi

Spoiler :
The City was alive. This was a known fact to all citizens of the Iridescent Empire. They believed in it as firmly as they believed that crops grew and fish lived in oceans. They did not consider these statements to be metaphors either. The City lived just as any other animal did: it ate and grew fat upon good harvests and the bodies of captured slaves, shat its vile excrement out into some god-forsaken waters of the Fugue Coast, and, perhaps in some sick sense of the word, bred directly into the minds of all those who lived near it.

Its children was the Empire: an entire nation in servitude to serve a single city: Sensinsal, the home of the great Empress and the Shuddering Palace, and the only city in the world that actually mattered to the Empire's citizens. The Empire, which lived on in the minds of all citizens of the Empire, dedicated itself to the servitude of its father which is Sensinsal.

For now, the Empire that is the people are content. They enjoy the iridescence of sunlight stolen by studded gems of the Shuddering Palace on summer evenings, glorious temples dedicated to the Holy Mother, the Empress, and the lights of the city when sleepless nights fall upon the streets. They do not know the Empress's name. None of them have ever seen the elusive Empress living atop the crystal spires of the Shuddering Palace. But they can see countless sculptures made by artists in their fevered dreams, hymns and songs written for her by the singers and dancers in countless theaters, and hear the preachings of the priests of her cult. They can see the glory that is the Shuddering Palace as it dwarfs everything else in the city, a great monument of crystals, twisting horns and spires, and eye-like studded gemstones, and feel at peace under the comforting watch of the living city.

For now, the Empire is at peace. The jewelers gather up tiny fragments of the growing Shuddering Palace for their day's work. People pick up clothes from where it was discarded in the sleepless nights. The butchers and the vendors begin displaying their goods on the marketplaces. The witches struggle in their vain attempts to emulate the great Empress and the officials meet within the hallowed halls of the Palace to discuss the day's business. The waves of the Fugue Coast are quiet as they roll gently into the harbors and the sailors race to catch the first wind leaving the port.

For now, the heart of the Empire beats calm..

Tales of the College:

The Shi-Hur:
The Shi-Hur is a high level Free-Beast unique in kind. Her form is that of an elongated woman with a mouth of full of sharp teeth and a head of red hair (Note: This is inaccurate, her hair appears to change to appeal to the closest individual), bare of all coverings. Instead of hands, she has, beginning at the wrists, long green claws, reminiscent of those of a praying mantis. She appears indestructible by any means physical, and the spells and cantrips traditionally used to repel Free-Beasts are Ineffective against her. In fact, the only reason we know of the means to bind her (Lines of Bone and Stone, Water and Earth, and Blood and Sinew across symbolic entranceways) is that she herself consented to give the college this information. The reason for her forthcoming attitude in this case is unknown, as she has not hesitated to consume most individuals who approach her.
She was Discovered asleep in a glass coffin in one of the deeper halls of the college.

Sketch:

Encounter Log 17:

High-Nivias Osgidd

My name is Johan Thergud, Journeyman-Historian, and I would like to request permission for access to Shi-Hur. I spoke to Master Bethany, of the college of Free-Beasts, and she gave her permission, assuming that you gave yours. I understand that Shi-hur has been bound by many curses and enchantments because of the danger she poses the college, but believe that conversation with her would allow me to heavily advance my studies regarding the history of the college. I have studied her bindings extensively, as well as girded my mind against enchantment, and believe myself safe from her wiles.

I anxiously await your answer.

Your Servant,
Johan Thergud
Journeyman-Historian of the 7th level.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS"]Dear Journeyman Thergud

I am willing to sign off on your visit to the Shi-Hur. However, please be advised that those who survive meeting her are far and few between. She has been bound behind circles of Stone and Bone, of Water and Earth, of Blood and Sinew. See to it that you do not disturb the lines, or you risk the entire college.

High-Nivias
Amy Osgidd[/FONT]

Interview 1 Log

Man’s voice: This is Journeyman-Historian Thergud. I have set up this system of spells to record the conversation I intend to have with Shi-Hur. In case I do not survive the encounter, this recording should add to the school’s wealth of knowledge about her.
I am approaching the door to her Sanctum now. [Creaking sound]
I am inside. I see a dark passageway at the end of the room, and in the middle of the room, stretching from wall to wall are, the lines binding her. Bone, Stone, Earth, Water, Blood, Sinew, all there, all intact. So long as I’m on this side, I should be safe... Wait, I think I hear something. The Smell of the Free-Beast is getting stronger: Hot metal.[Soft footsteps]
Hello. My name is Johan Thergud. Are you Shi-Hur?

Woman’s Voice: Hello Johan Thergud. Thank you for coming to see me. It’s been so long since anyone has been down here. It gets awfully lonely.

Man’s Voice: [Whispering] She is standing in the passageway, leaning against the wall... quite... seductively, actually. Hah. Cheap tricks.
[Loudly] You are Shi-Hur?

Woman’s Voice: No, I am THE Shi-Hur. That is what I am, not who I am, though I am alone in being Shi-Hur. I have never had brothers or sisters or friends.

Man’s Voice: Who are you, then?

Woman’s Voice: [Laughter] Names have power, sweetings, especially for those plunged in the Anomic currents of the world. You should know that, Johan Thergud. Johan Thergud. What an attractive name.

[Long Pause]

Man’s Voice: Alright, then. What can you tell me about what you are?

Woman’s Voice: [Softly] Always these questions, they ask. What are you made of, what do you know? I am made of Magic and Flesh, wrought together by the unseen will of the world itself... and what I know? Both everything and nothing. I remember the lighting of the sun, the sundering of the Algid earth from the very fabric of the stars. I was there when the Kthonic lords rose up, and I was there when they fell... But, I have never felt the sun on my face, never seen any light but the torches in these halls. Johan, my sweet. Can you show me the sun?

Man’s voice: [Whispering] Her words... are powerful. I can feel them tugging at me, I want to go, to break the circles.
[Loudly] You know I can’t do that. You’d eat everyone in the college.

Woman’s Voice: Perhaps I would. But you, my savior, would be safe.

Man’s Voice: I have friends up there, they are my family.

Woman’s Voice: I don’t know what that means.

Man’s Voice: You say you’ve never been outside the halls of this college? Where did you come from?

Woman’s Voice: [Sigh] No, never. My first Memory is of an apprentice opening the womb in which I was born. Ohhhhh. The Hunger. I ate them all. And it helped for a while. I am not hungry now, for example.

Man’s Voice: You say you were born here? Who... or what... are your parents?

Woman’s Voice: None of my kind know. We’ve always been here, and yet are born. I don’t understand that.

Man’s Voice: Your kind? I thought you said you were alone?

Woman’s Voice: The Free, those you call Free-Beasts, from the least of the whisps to the seven shining ones, all Free-Beasts come to this earth as I did.

Man’s Voice: From glass coffins?

Woman’s Voice: Don’t be so literal. You’re a scholar, you should know better. I mean... we are born, and yet have existed forever. Can you understand that? Forever... but to never have felt the wind of the rain? The agony of it all? I am Free! My love, please, help me.

[Long Pause]
[Sound of running, laughter, slamming door]

Man’s Voice: [Panting] She almost had me. I’d stepped over Bone and my foot was over stone before I saw where I was. It’s not safe for me to return, I know she’ll get me.

Interview 2 Log:

Man’s Voice: I’m going to try this again. I’ve prepared myself better, and will not let myself be trapped.

Woman’s Voice: Johan Thergud! You came back! It’s been a month and I’ve been awefully bored, waiting for you to come back

Man’s Voice: I wasn’t going to come back...

Woman’s Voice: Yes you were. You always were coming back. And that’s because we’re meant for each other. The Moment I heard your name, I knew we were meant for each other.

Man’s Voice: No, the last person who came down here, a hundred years ago, you ate.

Woman’s Voice: [laughter] Amy Smithson? Yes, I ate her. She bored me. Asking me questions about how to destroy me. Don’t you think that if I knew how to do that, I’d have done it? So, I seduced her... and she came to me. [Voice becomes breathy] You don’t need to worry about that, though.

Man’s Voice: That’s... Inhuman!

Woman’s Voice: Am I human?

Man’s Voice: I suppose not. But still... If you want to see the stars and the sea, you need to make people trust you! they’ll never let you out if they think you want to consume the world.

Woman’s Voice: The world? No, I am not that greedy. But I will ponder your words. Leave me, now. Come back tomorrow.

Man’s Voice: What?

Woman’s Voice: [Coldly] Tomorrow.

[Closing Door]

Man’s Voice: That was odd. I’ll continue the interview tomorrow.

Interview 3 Log

Man’s Voice: Shi-Hur? are you there?

Woman’s Voice: Yes, I am. And so are you, as you promised.

Man’s Voice: DId you think on what I said? Don’t eat people, and you’ll be able to go free?

Woman’s Voice: Yes, I heard. And I agree. I will not consume the flesh of Mankind.

Man’s Voice: [Hesitant] Do you swear?

Woman’s Voice: Upon the blood of my mother, I swear.

Man’s Voice: [Clearly strained]... Mother...?

Woman’s Voice: Yes, sweet thing. On my mother. Do you not trust me... my love?

Man’s Voice: [Relieved] Yes, yes I do.

[Quick Footsteps]

[Sound of Kissing]
[Sound of Screaming]

Woman’s Voice: Boring Fool. Asking me not to consume. That’s like asking fire not to burn. [Tsk] and I had such hopes for poor Johan Thergud.

Spoiler :
Sketch source, until (if) I do one of my own:
http://dailydrawsb.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/lirael-again/

EDIT: Removed by Thlayii's request. Apologies for the break in immersion.

Nice reference thomas; Lirael is a good book.

---

The Reusurpation

Ovin wiped the sweat from his brow, but a few stray drops still managed to coalesce around his temples, and little circles of perspiration were staining the dark red cloth of his robe by his underarms and continued to seep outward. He tugged on the rope twice. Descend. And far above, Arsevy and Gulaz and the winch crew lowered him further. Three years, to cow the people into funding this expedition, to rattling coin jars before the temple walls, to doing...unpleasant things. All of it led up to this moment.

The Inflective Chamber. At last. They had burrowed through half of a mountain to get here, made their way through mazes of tunnels, lost three good men and women to an enraged salamander...but all their sacrifices were worth this moment.

Ovin, High Priest of the Maholim, was going to awaken a god.

Six large columns stood at the base of the chamber, as he knew they would, each carved from a different manner of stone. Obsidian, marble, jade, lapis, heliotrope, and serpentine. From them lines of muted fire traced towards a central sphere, forming a complex web of seals.

Ovin walked slowly around them to each line, praying that the spells of unbinding he had practiced for decades would work. Each one increased in difficulty and complexity as he circled; he suspected this was part of the test. When he reached the last one, he realized that he would have to give up a necessary and irreplaceable part of himself to break the spell. He had decided to try offering his fertility, and the counterspell accepted it. Of course, to a priest under a vow of celibacy, that didn't matter that much. Hopefully he didn't change his mind about having children.

Finally, the lines of fire severed, the door in the perfect sphere of polished basalt slowly rumbled open. Just as the scriptures said it would. Truly, the faith he had kept throughout all those years of self-doubt was finally validated by this glorious moment. For generations, no, centuries, priests of his order would speak his name with reverence. Ovin the Restorer. Or maybe...Ovin the Discoverer. Well, this wasn't the time.

Ovin sprinkled the entryway with holy water and placental blood, which began to glow and spark as he intoned the words in ancient High Uthramaic.

"Oh unquiet voice, oh inevitable union, we have heard your call. Now, oh promised offspring of zirraf and cthon, awaken from your slumber and claim your dominion!"

"Are you joking?"

An eight-foot tall humanoid with glowing orange-red skin and ice-blue eyes emerged naked from the chamber.

"I...what?"

"I built this place to sleep, you know. I didn't really want to be woken up."

Ovin said, "...really?"

The figure said. "Yes. And I can read your mind, which you do not even attempt to shield from me. Your religion is mostly lies, built on hearsay. I am not your promised god."

Ovin deflated the way that someone would if you proved to them them that their life's work was based around a lie. "So...you're going to kill me then?"

The figure looked weary. "I don't understand why that's always the first thing humans default to fearing. No, I have a worse fate for you."

"Torture?"

"Immortality. You woke me up, you're going to bear the consequences."

"I...guess I can live with that."

"Very funny."

"You do seem rather godlike in stature, for one who is not a god."

"I didn't say I wasn't a god, or at least close enough to it. I just said I wasn't your god."

"...oh."

"So..."

"So."

"Are my parents still ruining the world?"

"It depends on who you ask. But if you want to know if they're alive, well...the cthonim are dead and the zirrafim have mostly left this world."

"Ahh. Mother always said that I would straighten out after a good millennial rest. Perhaps she was right. Too bad she's dead or gone forever."

"Or perhaps not too bad, if she was, ah, ruining the world?" Ovin laughed weakly.

"Perhaps. So what was it you mortals called me? Oh," he said, querying the memory from Ovin's brain in a way that made him dizzy, "Maholim. That's...fine. Though there is only one of me. Mahol."

"So...you're not going to destroy the world in an orgy of rage at being woken up?"

"No, I'm afraid not. If I did that I would be alone in the broken vastness of space, and that's when boredom would really start to set in."

Ovin pondered this for a moment.

"What will you do instead?"

He gestured to the chamber around him. "Build an empire large enough to construct another chamber to put me back to sleep until the universe ends."

"You can't just reuse this one?"

"That's not how these things work."

The newly immortal High Priest scratched his beard. "Have...you tried killing yourself?"

Mahol just looked at him.

"Right, right. Ah...what about terrorizing the world and forcing great champions to try and kill you?"

The reluctant god sighed, and it echoed through the room. "I suppose I could try that again."

"Oh, don't be so glum," Ovin said. "It could be fun."

"You're just happy because you just got made immortal. Trust me, it wears thin after about two hundred years."

"Maybe us humans will surprise you. Now, how about coming upstairs and leveling this mountain to impress the local tribes into forming your first army?"

"Nobody ever asks me to make their flowers grow."

"...can you?"

"No. But that's not the point."

"Well, sometimes it's rewarding to do what you're good at."

The ghost of a smile began to form around Mahol's mouth, and he levitated slightly off the ground. Robes of liquid silver formed around his body, and a crown of molten crystal appeared on his brow.

"YES, LITTLE PRIEST." he said. "I SUPPOSE IT IS."

I'm not as interested in this as I thought I might be, so I'm going to drop (though to be honest I'm not sure I was ever confirmed to be in).

I may rejoin later if I regain interest.

Top Bottom