How does Random Personalities work?

black213

Emperor
Does it randomize only each leader's personality (such as Alexander is very likely to go hostile and has a high number for likeliness of denouncing) and/or flavors (such as Alexander is very likely to build horse units and loves city-states)?

I believe it totally randomises personalities. For instance, once Pharoah`s leader was very nice and meek, not at all aggressive, and it took a lot to get him going to war.

Genghis Kahn seemed quite ok too considering his reputation and was even swiftly defeated by America once.

America, for some reason is always aggressive, but I guess it`s just the role of the dice.

I like random personalities because it`s like playing a new Leader each game and that means you`ve got to get to `know` the Leader all over again. I always see it as the Leader`s brother or son, etc and that`s why they act different.

I like random personalities because it`s like playing a new Leader each game and that means you`ve got to get to `know` the Leader all over again. I always see it as the Leader`s brother or son, etc and that`s why they act different.

I don't really like random personalities, mainly because it puts some AI at a disadvantage. For example, Alex doesn't Hoplite rush w/ Companion Calvary, and Atilla won't rush you either sometimes, where as Austria may go for a warrior rush that could set her back on her gold income. It inhibits the AI more than the human player.

I don't really like random personalities, mainly because it puts some AI at a disadvantage. For example, Alex doesn't Hoplite rush w/ Companion Calvary, and Atilla won't rush you either sometimes, where as Austria may go for a warrior rush that could set her back on her gold income. It inhibits the AI more than the human player.

Random Personalities on Domination Mode - Augustus Caesar takes Autocracy, Genghis Khan takes Autocracy (like always), Dido and Darius takes Order (ditto) and Wu Zetian goes Freedom (like always). Denmark takes Freedom too instead of ole Autocracy, but he does veer between those two lategame policies.

The only real surprise was Augustus, who I never saw going Fascist before. Usually its Order... or Freedom, and both times have him going super wide.

I, too, wonder what happens when you hit Random Personalities. Do all the personality numbers get randomized? I always assumed that it meant Ghandi might wind up with Monty's personality stats, but now that idea seems silly.

And are the standard personalities really optimized to the Civs' respective strengths?

But it allows diversity in the game. And I don`t want to be rushed by every single predictable Civ every time because that`s just not realistic. Not every nation in the world wants to always rush to the top. This Option is what makes games like Civ for me. It also means that one Civ like Ghandi might completely catch the Player by surprise by being more aggressive. I`d get really bored if everyone was predictable and probably play the game once then bin it.

It inhibits the AI more than the human player.

But it allows diversity in the game. And I don`t want to be rushed by every single predictable Civ every time

I myself alternate between using random personalities and not for these two statements. Attila is at a huge disadvantage when playing peacefully, but it is nice to be surprised by an Egyptian early game attack sometimes for example!

On the original topic. I think I've read here before that they are both randomized, and I don't see why they both wouldn't be. I'll post a link if I ever find it.

I myself alternate between using random personalities and not for these two statements. Attila is at a huge disadvantage when playing peacefully, but it is nice to be surprised by an Egyptian early game attack sometimes for example!

On the original topic. I think I've read here before that they are both randomized, and I don't see why they both wouldn't be. I'll post a link if I ever find it.

Sometimes I play standard mode just to remind myself of how the leaders are traditionally expected to act. Not often though. One of the reasons people like Genghis Kahn and Napoleon did as well as they did was because other real world leaders didn`t see them coming until too late. So random personalities keeps me guessing.

Randomizes this...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062

Yes, it basically cripples the AI, since much of that behavior moves to min/max bonuses. Early UU civs won't be as likely to be aggressive, losing their "window", civs like India might be less likely to promote growth, ottomans may be less likely to push navy, etc.

All those advanced options are cheats anyway, but it's been expressed on this board many times the game's for fun, so if cheating is fun, cheat away.

All those advanced options are cheats anyway, but it's been expressed on this board many times the game's for fun, so if cheating is fun, cheat away.

That's an interesting definition of cheating you got there

That's an interesting definition of cheating you got there

eh, ok. quick combat, quick movement are for people whose machines can't handle the turn durations or if they just get tired of watching it. Every other toggle, including one city challenge, can be (and likely is) used in an exploitive manner to cripple the ai and/or give the player some advantage. There's nothing more to discuss on this.

eh, ok. quick combat, quick movement are for people whose machines can't handle the turn durations or if they just get tired of watching it. Every other toggle, including one city challenge, can be (and likely is) used in an exploitive manner to cripple the ai and/or give the player some advantage. There's nothing more to discuss on this.

Cheats wouldn't be included, they'd be hidden. It is most certainly not cheating.

SDK isn't hidden. People use it to cheat everyday. I saw mods to make civs particularly overpowered and puked in my mouth a little.

. . . All those advanced options are cheats anyway . . .

Quick Combat is essential otherwise... GREAT... WAR... BOMBER...

(10 Seconds Later)

GREAT... WAR... BOMBER...

(Repeat ad naseum)

I would like to know this also.

Not much. You could get stuff like Gandhi who COVETS YOUR LANDS IS EVIL WARMONGER more than a standard game, and some personality switches between those who want to REX, who want to take your cities instead of ICS and whether they will be more likely to take Autocracy than Order...

I kinda want to see Sejong or Ramesses taking Autocracy, come think of it. further testing in progress...

If you want truly random personalities (who might act really strange), go into the xml file called "GlobalAIDefines", find the row named "Flavor_randomization_range", and change it to 10. That means that any flavor they have can be anything else from game to game.

The normal Random Personalities randomizes the leader file for a leader, so for example, Gandhi might act like Montezuma, and Alexander might act like Kamehameha. The above method would totally scramble the flavors. The reason they would act weird is that there are conflicting/supporting flavors, such as meeting a new leader with friendly mood or with the guarded mood. This change might set both to 8, and make them act oddly.

Top Bottom