Start Era Questions

Cromagnus

Deity
1) If you play as Babylon and it's a Classical Start, do you start with a GS?

2) Also, if you play as the Maya, and it's a Renaissance start, do you start with a free GP choice?

3) Do you find that on Deity, the various eras start later or earlier than you would normally have those techs? I think for Classical, the game starts at turn 75. I can't recall ever trying to fill out the whole set of ancient techs, but I don't think it would take 75 turns if you were playing efficiently. Definitely not if you were playing efficiently on, say, Prince.

4) Finally, Does the AI get additional advantages on later era starts on higher difficulty levels? For example, I'm pretty sure that on ancient era Deity starts, they start with 2 Settlers. On a Classical Start, the player starts with a settler, two spearmen and a worker. On later starts the player gets even more. What does the AI start with on the different levels? Is there an easy way for me to go into godmode and look at the rest of the map to see what they're starting with?

I'm just curious what I'm up against. At first glance, I would suspect that late starts favor the player, because the AI doesn't have as much time to "get ahead".

edit: more
5) What weird combos does one find with Social Policies with late starts? In a medieval or later start, your first city (or cities) starts with buildings before you even choose policies. This would theoretically be advantageous for a tradition start, since you get free amphitheaters without having to "wait" to complete Tradition. Or, you could opt to go Liberty and have a Golden Age on turn 1 (useless), or start the game with half of Patronage filled out. I'm fascinated by the possibilities here.

6) What bonus techs to the AI get on late starts? One thing I've noticed playing against the AI on Deity with a Classical Start is that it's actually much easier to get the Great Library, because the AIs have more wonders to choose from and they don't get a tech head start on Writing. But of course, you're losing out on yet other Wonders.

Top Bottom