AI cheating to beat me on same turn to wonder

Artifex1

Warlord
I am now playing on emperor and it happens so much i quit every game last 6-7 games I get beat same turn almost every time it is insane...

It has to be a cheat it happens like literally 80-90 percent with me...it happens ALL THE TIME...same turn..

crazy crazy crazy....

Has to be a cheat no way is it legit..am i right?

Which wonder are you trying to get?

I am now playing on emperor and it happens so much i quit every game last 6-7 games I get beat same turn almost every time it is insane...

It has to be a cheat it happens like literally 80-90 percent with me...it happens ALL THE TIME...same turn..

crazy crazy crazy....

It doesnt matter what wonder you are trying to get. Once you start playing on emperor there is no guarantee that you will get any of them because the AI is so much more competitive. Its not cheating, its just you werent quick enough. This is exactly the reason why people who play on higher difficulties say that you should just try and go without building wonders. They cost a lot of investment, and if you miss them, it can ruin your game or severely restrict it. Better to spend those hammers on expansion, infrastructure or defence than it is to get a free technology at the start of the game thats worth relatively little. You can build wonders on higher difficulties, but if i were you i would play an entire game without building a single one and see what happens. I think you will soon discover their importance starts to dwindle significantly.

Also losing out on a wonder race by one turn and then starting another wonder who's tech you've had for a while is a great way to chain-lose a wonder race.

I play on emporer all the time. Wonder spamming is viable.
Here's the deal.

1. Study up on a few generic, solid, proven build orders for early game. This will help.

2. Before you start, pick an opening strategy. Figure out which wonders are key to your success, and which are secondary. Figure out a good beline for the wonders that you need. Understand that teching for key science and production buildings will probably help you get your goal.

For example, if i am trying for max growth, i always build a granery before i build the temple of artemis, and i build a library before i start on the hanging gardens.

3. Work at figuring out when to focus foood, and when to focus production. Try to understand how your worker opperates, and which tiles to improve first. This will help.

Using these three steps, you can get any wonder in the game except one. I still havnt been able to figure out how to consistantly get chiken itzka. Now, keep in mind i said any wonder, not every wonder. You will probably not get any good trifectas of any age, especially past renaisance. For example, getting the library, the temple, and the colossus is probably out of reach. I have only recently figured out a good strat for getting more than one of the three key renaisance wonders (chapel, tower, and palace).

Don't bother hammering wonders on emperor+. Play a civ with good UU (Mongols, Arabia, English) and take the wonders after the AI finishes them. Much more satisfying and easy that way.

Human player goes first, one turn means their next turn, which means after you end yours

Wonders aren't impossible to reliably get on 15+ immortal+. Saying these things and believing these things will only restrict you from learning how to accomplish it.

"studying build orders" is also a bit silly. Just play the game, and understand all the rules. In very little time, once you know clearly all your options, you will know how to optimize what you have in order to leverage it towards your goal.

Figuring these things out is half the fun. Even if some standardized cookie cutter build could be as effective as a completely novel solution tailored to your circumstance, it would not be half as fun.

At the risk of sounding antagonistic, it sounds like emotional problems are stifling your growth.

crazy crazy crazy....

Quitting a game because you didn't get a wonder sounds childish frankly. I have no idea how old you are but that is no way to play either a game like Civ or the real game of life. You can't expect the game to go 'ideally' for you and quit when it doesn't. Just keep playing and trying to improve your game by coming here and watching videos. But if you just quit then I can guarantee there will be no hope for you. Life lesson.

Quitting a game because you didn't get a wonder sounds childish frankly. I have no idea how old you are but that is no way to play either a game like Civ or the real game of life. You can't expect the game to go 'ideally' for you and quit when it doesn't. Just keep playing and trying to improve your game by coming here and watching videos. But if you just quit then I can guarantee there will be no hope for you. Life lesson.

:old:

No wonder is required to win. Aside from GL or Oracle, you can always build it with the point of your sword.

You can put in the 'old' character if you like, i.e. to attempt to make fun of my post. However anyone who's accomplished anything of difficulty will agree with me. I refrained from saying that getting wonders on Emperor for me is kind of easy, only because I know that I've gotten better as a result of the advice on these forums. At one time it probably was hard. But you don't just quit and then complain about a 'cheating AI.' I suggest less sarcastic icons as replies and a little more thought. I've beaten deity, recently, have you?

Hey Artifex!

As said, the AI doesn't technically cheat, however, they will sometimes burn GE to finish something, and I've seen them wait to do this until just turns before I finished it. I realized this using my own spies, I would be good to go with 4 turns left...they would not even be building it...then a GE screwed everything up. We do the same thing to them though so you can't really say it's unfair. I'm not sure if they can see what I'm building and they time it this way or if it's just coincidence though.

Also, in the beginning it is far more likely for this close-call scenario to happen as growth/production/science is more break-even. With 5 AI all trying for a wonder at the same time it is actually very likely someone will finish it 1 or 2 turns before you since they have a slight tech/growth advantage on emperor. Maybe hold off on some of the early wonders and aim for a specific one you like in the classical if you hate it that much. If you get a phenomenal start, maybe try for one of the ancient ones, but expect that it's possible you'll be beaten. That's one of the sacrifices of Emperor+. However, on my last emperor game I totally got Temple of Artemis, Oracle, Borobadur, and Mosque of Jenne so sometimes you get lucky...part of that was ruins though, and the fact that I realized late they weren't building Artemis for some reason that game.

If you play emporer a lot, you can get a feeling about which wonders the ai really really likes, and what time frame you have to shoot for to get them. For example, the great library always gets built around turn 50, and chicken itzka usually around 120-130. Certian wonders that the ai do not usually grab right away are a lot easier to hard build, like the pyramids or the mosque of dejenni.

Ive noticed some games where the temple of artemis goes almost as early as the great library, so your millage may vary.

AI beating you to the wonder shouldn't be a problem. I had AI beat me to prora once and eventually I took the city the AI had with prora later in the game.

8 players, on roughly the same tech path. Frequently, multiple AIs are working on the same wonder at the same time. Even without spies, the odds of having someone else finish the wonder 1 turn before you do are quite high. What you don't realize is that there were two more AIs who got beat as well, and if you were 2 turns away, one of them would have beaten you. If you were 3 turns away, the other would have beaten you. Also, I *frequently* beat the AI to wonders by one turn once I have spies. I do it on purpose...

Has to be a cheat no way is it legit..amirite?
Ditto to what everyone else said above. But let's step back for a minute, and examine this proposition. What possible incentive could the programmers have to make the AI cheat in ways that frustrate you and make you quit the game? They want players to enjoy themselves. More to the point, they want players to enjoy themselves enough to plop down $50 for CivBE and Civ6.

The entire premise of the question here is totally flawed.

If you play emporer a lot, you can get a feeling about which wonders the ai really really likes, and what time frame you have to shoot for to get them. For example, the great library always gets built around turn 50, and chicken itzka usually around 120-130. Certian wonders that the ai do not usually grab right away are a lot easier to hard build, like the pyramids or the mosque of dejenni.

Ive noticed some games where the temple of artemis goes almost as early as the great library, so your millage may vary.

What is weird in my current game as morocco I was at around turn 50 and decided that the great library was going to be built very soon if not next turn and so I just punted and built a library..to be safe.

I noticed at turn 75 still not built so I was like what the heck and I think my build time was 15 turns and low and behold I got it. at around 90..how odd huh?

Top Bottom