Tech industry general discussion thread

Right, but at $300 you're making like $50 profit, so there needs to be like 4x more people who are buying your phone who wouldn't buy any phone otherwise than there are people who are buying your phone instead of a competitor's phone.

I suspect the actual pool of people who are using a flip phone instead of a Nexus because of a Nexus costing $400 instead of $350 to be pretty negligible.

Finally, I know you're not talking about the rest of the industry, but the fact is that there are other players in the industry, and they all individually insist on pricing higher in the EU than the US. Again, I haven't heard any plausible reason for any of this.

Sticky prices, companies all make more profit.

This is hardly uncommon, companies across all kinds of sectors charge more in Canada than the US because people keep buying their overpriced crap.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...strom-joins-a-growing-number-of.html?page=all

Zelig and I continued this discussion on fiftychat, for those interested: (bear in mind that there is some cross-chatting going on here)

Spoiler :
<Zelig> It's not really helpful if people are replacing your old model if you're making no profit on it.
<Mise> where am i suggesting that there is no margin on phones?
<Mise> to be clear, i'm not
<Mise> i'm saying that you will always sell more phones if you price lower
<Mise> so the idea that the price advantage is the same if you price at $500 vs $300 vs 1 dollar isn't true
<Zelig> I'm saying there's very little margin on the Nexus.
<Zelig> So if you lower the price by $15 you need to sell twice as many phones.
<Mise> yes, so my point is, why does google not want to sell as many phones in the EU than the US?
<Zelig> Presumably because the demand for phones is inelastic enough that they don't sell many fewer phones at 15% more cost.
<Mise> i agree that the margin on the nexus is low, but your arguments are just telling me that google should be pricing higher in the US than they currently are by $15, because they will make more profit
<Mise> yeah, so... why price so low in the US? they should sell for 15% more and make more profit in total
<Mise> that seems to be what your arguments are driving towards
<Zelig> Yeah, but there's more competition and contracts in the US
<Mise> i dont buy that as a plausible argument, because what you're telling me is that they will need to sell twice as many phones in the US than the EU
<Zelig> So a Nexus for $350 vs $200 for a Galaxy on contract is 50% more expensive to the consumer than a Nexus for $300.
<Mise> but that same situation exists in the EU
<Mise> i mean, the difference in competition isn't enormous: we have plenty of competition here
<Mise> and the difference in contracts isn't enormous: the vast majority of people in the EU are on contracts
<Zelig> Yeah, but they're more expensive too.
<Mise> eh?
<Zelig> The competition is more expensive
<Mise> so?
<Zelig> Which seems to me a very clear reason for justifying higher prices.
<Mise> it isn't a clear reason at all, it's only clear if you have some naive beliefs about the market for phones, i.e. that it is fixed
<Mise> a fixed size
<Zelig> I feel like I addressed this already
<Mise> you haven't at all
<Zelig> [14:30] <@Zelig> Presumably because the demand for phones is inelastic enough that they don't sell many fewer phones at 15% more cost.
<Mise> you haven't addressed why that is so massively different in the EU than the US
<Zelig> If they lower the price by 15% and sell 50 extra phones in the entire UK
<Mise> so why do they do it in america then?
<Zelig> Vs if they raise the price in the US by 15% and lose 50k sales because people buy different phones instead.
<Mise> competition and contracts aren't particularly different at all
<Mise> except the competition in the US is still a long way more expensive!
<Mise> i mean the nexus is like $150 cheaper than any comparable phone
<Zelig> On-contract is competition
<Mise> and on contract, the situation is identical in the EU to the US: you have a choice of paying $400 for a nexus off contract or $200 on contract for a S4
<Mise> do you think we don't have contracts in the EU?
<Mise> so drop the price to $350 and the situation is identical to the US: $350 for a off contract nexus vs $200 for an on contract S4
<Zelig> That doesn't make my numbers invalid
<Zelig> If there's higher demand for off-contract phones in the EU, you can still gain 50 sales by dropping from $400 to $350 vs losing 50k sales in the US if you were to raise from $350 to $400
<Mise> that doesn't make sense
<Mise> explain where the 50 and 50k come from
<Zelig> They're just numbers I made up, but we don't have access to whatever numbers Google used, so it's plausible that they had some pair of numbers for that situation that justifies the price difference.
<Mise> i don't think it's plausible at all
<Mise> because i don't see a significant difference between the EU and US
<Mise> you said "If there's higher demand for off-contract phones in the EU", but (a) i dont see what that has to do with anything, and (b) i don't see how there is such a vast difference in the number of contract phones in the EU vs US
<Mise> i mean the market is mostly for really dirt cheap phones like nokias
<Mise> dumbphones and crappy 3" HTCs
<Mise> like i said, the vast majority are on contracts anyway, so i just don't see how there's any difference
<Mise> everything you're saying about why google priced the EU, e.g. little margin so needs 2x sales, can be said for the US
<Mise> certainly the vast majority of people who have phones comparable to the nexus are currently on contracts
<Mise> but in the EU, there are a lot more people who are paying like $100-200 for an off contract phone, who might be willing to buy a phone for $350
<Mise> so i would not expect google to price higher in the EU than the US, given that there is actually more potential to sell higher volumes at $350 in the EU than in the US
<Mise> to sell the higher volumes necessary to make up the smaller margin
<Zelig> Even if you eliminate everyone on contract, as they're the same price
<Zelig> I think it's still plausible that they lose more sales in the US (at $400) to people going with more expensive phones than they gain in the UK (at $350) from people upgrading from feature phones.
<Mise> why?
<Mise> why should the two markets be so different?
<Mise> you say that the market for feature phones => nexus is negligible, but then, what's the difference btwn the US and EU?
<Mise> i mean 15% is a massive difference when it comes to pricing
<Mise> and like you said, the margins in the US are razor thin
<Mise> you think that they will lose 50% of their sales if they price at $400 in the US?
<Zelig> Because the G2 is still more expensive in the UK off-contract. You might get 50 extra people in either the US or UK at $350 instead of $400, but at $400 in the US you get 500 fewer people who are willing to pay an extra $300 for the G2, and in the UK you get only 50 fewer people who are willing to pay the extra $400 for the G2.
<Mise> Zelig i simply don't find that plausible, mostly because of the margin argument you made earlier
<Mise> you're saying that they need twice as many sales
<Mise> i dont find it plausible that pricing a full $300 lower than their nearest competitor would reduce sales by 50% vs pricing $350 lower than their nearest competitor
<Mise> i mean that's a really weird looking demand curve
<Mise> seems to drop off a cliff at any price higher than $350
<Mise> but is pretty much level at any price lower than $350
<Zelig> Well they're pretty clearly not going for profit maximizing, I assume they attach various values to which competitor they steal sales from
<Zelig> I'll concede that you can narrow the dichotomy down to "the demand curve is really weird" or "google is incompetent at pricing"

Well we have higher contract prices in the US, you have more expensive phones in the UK. Seems balanced to me. ;)
I have no idea how that relates to me point in the slightest.

If your internet is capped and you care about playing modern games, instead of whining about it, get a job (since you have lots of free time, since you can't play modern games) that lets you pay for proper internet.

Or play old offline games.

Just don't whine to me about your Luddite tendencies.

I have a job, it may not pay the best but it's a job all the same. At least I'm working and not sitting around collecting unemployment to subsidize purchasing the latest smartphone like some deadbeats. And I'm not expecting people to go out of their way to accommodate me, I was just PO'd that the Steam installer comes with the ability to setup for 56k connections but it doesn't actually work. Either drop it or support it guys, else it's false advertising(in which case someone needs to sue Gabe's ass), kinda like a recent healthcare policy which promised reduced rates multiple times but didn't deliver. :mad:

People need to start demanding consequences for these screw ups. Lying like a bit to millions of ppl and they shooting a "sorry" on your fb doesn't cut it derps.

Zelig and I continued this discussion on fiftychat, for those interested: (bear in mind that there is some cross-chatting going on here)

Props to you for going through and changing all of those Marses to Zeligs.

@Owen: Yeah, manually looking for every instance of mars, deleting it, and retyping Zelig in over it took ages! If only there was some quick way of finding a word and replacing it with another word :(

@Mr Worldwide: I don't think your contracts are significantly, if at all, more expensive in the US. Though I would expect, if that were true, that there are structural reasons for that, i.e. network coverage & competition. I can't see a similar, parallel or analogous structural reason for higher device costs in the EU. I don't see that it's a case of "contracts are more expensive, so devices are cheaper".

If anything, I would expect that the structural reasons that cause contracts to be more expensive would also cause devices to be more expensive.

Do you mean saving to e.g. a NAS drive, or do you mean external USB drives plugged into the PS4?

What I'm hearing is "it's going to take a long time and a lot of effort".

Well, yeah. I don't think Valve expects it to be an overnight success.

The main thing I take away is "compelling upside" means "playing petty marketing games"
Platform exclusivity, deliberately degrading the experience on platforms other than your own, that kind of thing. Technical merits seem to be under everyone's radar, although I can think of some - e.g., some btrfs features could make keeping everything in sync much less annoying on Linux.

Valve has voiced concern over Windows 8, seemingly fearing that one day the only practical method of distributing Windows software may be using Microsoft's own channels. Maybe all they want is a way out if it comes to that.
WINE (Windows compatibility layer) often does a fine job for legacy software, so if they can get developers to create new titles for SteamOS the problem of a smaller existing library isn't insurmountable... although it would take some busywork to hide the nerdy details and make it a seamless experience.

No, if I meant "playing petty marketing games" I would have used that instead of "compelling reasons".

The article specifically calls out Valve for doing a poor job of pushing the best technical merit (game performance) they have.

While I love the ideas in btrfs, bitrot is pretty much a non-issue in gaming environments. Just cloud-sync all your save files and you're golden. You can pretty trivially have Steam check all your game files too, just run SpookyHash on all your game installs.

Wasn't really thinking about bitrot. Couldn't btrfs be leveraged for easy delta syncing, reducing wait times and bandwith considerations for those who have them? Or is everything of interest already done another way?

I've also been very happy with the performance, especially with dynamic compression. This could be related to all sorts of different things, but i/o on slow storage didn't seem as much of a bottleneck as under Windows... this is something I'd find more noticable than a few fps here or there.

I've no real idea if btrfs could be leveraged for syncing, but there are lots of cross-platform ways to do that.

I haven't tried btrfs in a couple years (at which point the lack of stability basically made it unusable) but in my experience otherwise, modern file systems are all fairly good at performance. (ie. they're all awful for OS/application use without an SSD, they're all fine with an SSD or appropriate hybrid setup.)

Facebook buys Oculus.
Why?

Top Bottom