My First War Victory - Is it normal to feel this bad?

OneRedBlock

Chieftain
Like, jeez, I've gone to war for other victories, but never felt so bad about it. I killed off peaceful Brazil who had yet to start or participate in a war, then nuked Mongolia off the map (except for their capital and a citystate, liberated to reduce warmonger penalty. Mongolia and Brazil's entire continents are just nuclear fallout zones, and I feel horrible about it.

I just killed Brazil in one of my games yesterday and it made me feel bad. I do like to wage war but I do not like completely killing a civ or attacking civs that are friendly or peaceful.

For me, it depends on the civ as well. I generally don't regret eliminating Alex, Attila or Shaka out of the game, but it's harder sometimes; watching Pacal defeated has always dismayed me...

Yeah I hate watching peaceful civs get eaten up by the warmongers. Though if it's ethopia, I laugh (He acts like Alexander Monte and late game Gandhi in my games, combined!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This must be why I rarely play domination. I normally can't bring myself to attack civs who haven't done anything to me. That's why the schizophrenic AI that everyone loves to complain about actually makes things somewhat easier in that department, by more often doing things that make you want to kill them.

I could care less about other civs and their feelings. In civ I get to be a bad guy! ;)

Civs are not always friendly. Their traits are not 100%fixed. There are still some variants which will partly manipulate the traits. If i remember correctly, the same AIs are different in different games.

Always prepare to wage a war against your insidious foes. They are waiting. If you are too merciful,you will be caught off guard and never able to restore to your full strength if you are flanked by multiple Civs.

I agree with paulstream, especially regarding the so annoying Alex. It is sometimes hard to have to destroy a life-long friend whom I have traded with down the centuries. ;)

Reminds me of when i played as poland and mongolia was my only freind but genghis attacked my city state allies all the time so i nuked him back to the stone age he went from a population of 20 millions to 50.000 in two turns i felt like an a**hole.

Naw, I wouldn't. I seldom go for the dominance victory because it's too easy, but when I do, I revel in the destruction.

I don't care about nuclear holocaust in my games as long as
1) It is interesting :D
2) It touches not only one civilisation. In fact, nuclear world war would cripple everyone, no only the victim. If enough atomic weapons would be used to cause one empire to lose 90% of its citizens, it would mean that the whole world would go to hell after it, because of nuclear winter :p

Personally I LIKE when warmongers kill peaceful civilisations. Why? Because things like that makes the game interesting. I wouldn't play civ if it was game only about peaceful empires building cottages, this is not SimCity.

At the same time, when I am peaceful nation and Shaka slaughters his entire continent I am 'furious in a positive way' - I am furious because he is a villain, but this fury is 100% positive because it means I am really engaged in game and interesting things happen :)

One time I was playing a game when there were two continents: first, peaceful and very developed, and second, which had Shaka :D I was 'furious' because the entire history of this second continent was one great struggle against Adolf Shaka and he was exterminating lots of beautiful cultural cities (I will never forget 25 citizen Chichen Itza with all its wonders... SLaughtered by him...), but in the same time this game was one of my favourites - my best games are with great warmongering AI, because they tend to be very interesting and very challenging.

There was only one time when I felt bad about killing AI - when I was Netherlands and allied with Zulu to kill peaceful and friendly Shoshone :lol: Yeah, that was evil :lol: Machiavellistic justification: I really, really needed to do that because of geography and lack of terrain to expansion.

Hm, I have to launch the game as Mongolia on Earth TSL map, download some mods including 'May Burn Capitals' and do nothing but slaughter peaceful nations, betray friends, burn great works of art and literature, ruin cities with countless wonders, cut all forests, nuke everything including Amazon Jungle, massacre civilian population, don't take prisoners and make women of conquered nations suffer :crazyeye:

I played against Brazil and true he never lifted a finger to hurt me right up until the time came for me to ground his empire into the dust and make his cities mine with no remorse.:)
The AI will trick you into believing this or that civ is harmless and next game it could be your nemesis. I watched Japan in a past game do nothing to any other civ for the entire game and in another game The Empire of the Rising Sun razed seven Russian cities.
The only time I have emotions of pity is for myself when I'm half way through a game and my empire isn't developing the way I want it :)
In the prehistoric computer game days there was Command and Conquer and one of the marketing blurbs for the game was " The meek shall truly inherit the earth because that's where they will all be buried."
I play Civ with that mind set :)

Well, if you're like me, it is normal...I can do some warmongering to liberate captured nations or to assist an ally in a war against a nation I hate, but I can't really go for a domination victory without feeling kinda depressed.

Feeling bad for estabhlishing my rightful world dominance? Nah.

Sometimes I pity the AI for their playstile, but at the end of the day I play computer games to do stuff I can't or won't do irl, warmongering an' pillaging an' burning down their cities an' nuking are part of the experience for me. And they saw it all coming when the RNG spawned them on the map with me :p

If Hitler had won in real life, I imagine he would have slept like a baby. That you feel this way over a game says good things about you.

I have felt bad like this as well before for killing off Pacal and Pedro before. I currently have some bad feelings from taking umgungunlovu and omw to ulundi so I'm taking it slow.

Top Bottom