My First War Victory - Is it normal to feel this bad?

My only neighbor on the continent is Hiawatha. I founded my 4th city and figure ill sit back and let my towns grow a bit. I have no problem with Hiawatha....We even have a research agreement pending. And what does he do? He founds a city right in the center of my budding empire. Right in the heartland I was planning on developing once my towns were up and running.

Well what did he think was going to happen? Come on man...I got longbows for God's sake. What do you think is going to happen to your town?

lol, you are crying like a wife betrayed by a husband.
But what happened next ?did you vanquish him ?
I dont feel that you felt bad about it in your thread but you said you did

I feel just fine. Conquered all as autocracy Germany, with weapons so advanced, they all had zero chance. Razed cities because they were a hex off of where I wanted them to be. Pax Germania... Never felt better.

On a side note, it is amazing how much tech lead and dominance you can get by accepting "messenger of the Gods" pantheon, popping out a couple of settlers early, some successful blocking off settling backed up by not worrying about protection due to barbs at your command, making quick buck from selling resources, clearing barb camps (which also provides free workers, helping further get the money faster from selling resources) > rush buying science buildings & rush researching industrialism > factories > autocracy > damn.

I'm impressed. After reading the start of page 2 I was sure this would turn into a pro/anti American thread!

Yeah, I feel oddly guilty about wiping out some civs too. But it really depends on the civ, how peaceful they are, so pitiful their losing screen is, etc etc. I revel in destroying civs like Shaka.

I'm impressed. After reading the start of page 2 I was sure this would turn into a pro/anti American thread!
Why ?we just mentioned America for a few times. I guess the thread is not derailed yet ?

I'm such a nice, polite person in real life (usually) :p. I remember the first time I ever dropped a nuke in civ 4. God it felt so good. Now, I'll go to war just to take one city and I turn the rest of their empire into rubble. :) Anyone seen the "civilization anonymous" video? Watch it, you'll like it :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

lol, you are crying like a wife betrayed by a husband.
But what happened next ?did you vanquish him ?
I dont feel that you felt bad about it in your thread but you said you did

Haha. I took the offending town and ended up annexing it. After I took the town I made peace with Hiawatha and was willing to leave it at that. As soon as the peace treaty expired he attacked me again. With waves of swordsmen. By now my longbows are range 2 Gatling guns. Those guns are dangerous for any formation to approach.

I didn't like attacking Hiawatha the first time because I instigated the attack.
Hiawatha started the second fight so I don't have as much of a problem wiping him out.
The game is still ongoing but I have a feeling that Hiawatha ain't gonna be there for the end.

I'm such a nice, polite person in real life (usually) :p. I remember the first time I ever dropped a nuke in civ 4. God it felt so good. Now, I'll go to war just to take one city and I turn the rest of their empire into rubble. :) Anyone seen the "civilization anonymous" video? Watch it, you'll like it :)

Hypocrisy. haha. Deep in your heart lies Satan.

I almost always go for some military victory, I never felt bad about it :D

Hypocrisy. haha. Deep in your heart lies Satan.

Oh, well I knew that much. :lol: I was probably 10 or so when I first dropped a nuke. :)

I would wish that the game was designed so you actually did care a bit more about your decisions and their consequenses, moral etc. But you just see a city hex with a number on it that gets halved from 20 to 10 after you have nuked it, and a bit of fallout and pillaged terrain that you can clean up fast with your workers. After a few years there will be no signs of a nuclear holocaust at all. No long term effects, no suffering just halved numbers on city tiles and you just clean it up and life goes on. No atomic winters, no disastrous increases in death from cancer, no lands that are radioactive wastelands for a thousand years. The people in the land that had one of its cities nuked will actually be happier because happiness stands in relation to the number of your population. If it decreases people get happier. Facepalm. What a wonderful world with easy sollutions to the most horrible weapons ever made! And all the civs are mad at you because you waged a war, no matter if you used nukes or not. The civ games have always been a bit sterile when it comes to these matters.

If you feel any sadness or remorse when you destroy cities its because of your own imagination and roleplaying, not the game itself unfortunately. Civs that act as irrational as they do in CiV are not waking up any emotions in you, except emotions of frustration and hatred over how false and backstabbing they all are. Building a relation with a civ is non existent. The most friendly civs will join the wave of denounciation or dow against you any turn, no matter how much you have done for that particular civ. A small civ will even hate you for defeating civs that attacks that small civ. You dont feel a thing when you wipe a civ from the map, because you know that all the civs will sooner or later try and do the same to you. Thats the basic game mechanics.

This is a good thread though, because it points out one of the major issues with the basic concepts of the Civ-games.

I agree that this is a good thread. Cities population falls by half when conquered, does anyone feel bad about that? And as you bombard a city, there is all that screaming...

I feel bad when I conquer a city (half citizens lost and more annoying, some buildings) and AI free its cities (another half cut), so I need to get it again. It let me a basic city with 1 or 2 pop. :(
Many times, it ends in dust.

For bombarding, sounds of screaming reminds me Theme Park and Roll-caster Tycoon. :D

danieladler - Again, I don't get it. Unless you play an ENTIRELY passive game (no barb farming, no capturing workers from CSs, no war to get cities in a peace deal), you are committing major felonies of moral turpitude. How do you "morally" justify one and not the other?

I feel especially bad when I have to defeat Ramesses II. He seems to really think he is a god and he is always so occupied with building wonders in his little sand box... and then reality kicks in.

The more personality the leaders are given the more difficult it is to annihilate them.

Just got my first Deity Domination victory on Standard size with Shaka and I feel just fine about it !

Although karma got me in my next game where I started as Morrocco and Shaka spawned as my neighbor and crushed me (I had Desert Folklore too, it was going so well :()

Heh,. as long as you take the minimum number of their cities to reach the capital you have minimised virtual collateral damage to imaginary citizens.

I love killing off other Civs. Especially if they've voted against me at the World Congress.

Ah ha, you voted against me, now no votes for you....muahaha.

If you feel bad about killing any CIV leader, then you haven't been backstabbed, betrayed or otherwise plotted against like I have. Every single leader, regardless of traits, will attempt to screw you over if they perceive a weakness in you that they can exploit. They're all extremely two-faced and macchiavellian. Even Gandhi will DoW you if you're weak enough. It's rather funny seeing him say "It wasn't very nice of me to pretend to be your friend, but I need your stuff" or whatever it is they say when they DoW a Friend. :p

I would wish that the game was designed so you actually did care a bit more about your decisions and their consequenses, moral etc. But you just see a city hex with a number on it that gets halved from 20 to 10 after you have nuked it, and a bit of fallout and pillaged terrain that you can clean up fast with your workers. After a few years there will be no signs of a nuclear holocaust at all. No long term effects, no suffering just halved numbers on city tiles and you just clean it up and life goes on. No atomic winters, no disastrous increases in death from cancer, no lands that are radioactive wastelands for a thousand years. The people in the land that had one of its cities nuked will actually be happier because happiness stands in relation to the number of your population. If it decreases people get happier. Facepalm. What a wonderful world with easy sollutions to the most horrible weapons ever made! And all the civs are mad at you because you waged a war, no matter if you used nukes or not. The civ games have always been a bit sterile when it comes to these matters.

If you feel any sadness or remorse when you destroy cities its because of your own imagination and roleplaying, not the game itself unfortunately. Civs that act as irrational as they do in CiV are not waking up any emotions in you, except emotions of frustration and hatred over how false and backstabbing they all are. Building a relation with a civ is non existent. The most friendly civs will join the wave of denounciation or dow against you any turn, no matter how much you have done for that particular civ. A small civ will even hate you for defeating civs that attacks that small civ. You dont feel a thing when you wipe a civ from the map, because you know that all the civs will sooner or later try and do the same to you. Thats the basic game mechanics.

This is a good thread though, because it points out one of the major issues with the basic concepts of the Civ-games.

I agree. There are major flaws in the nuclear weapons system. I love to drop nukes here and there just because I let myself imagine the larger scheme of things. The enormous mushroom cloud consuming the city. Everything changes when I think about the personal effects. I have studied nuclear weapon's effects and seen pictures. After the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki there were many individuals who were marred permanently. Assuming they didn't die from radiation poisoning they would have to live disfigured the rest of their life. A mod or so that perfectly shows the power and tragedy caused by nuclear weapons would be perfect. One that made me feel bad.

Top Bottom