God's and Kings black screen at start

thilly1

Chieftain
When I got Civ 5, I had the problem where it would launch to a black screen and remain that way. I fixed it by editing the .ini file to skip the intro video and never had a problem again. Now I installed the expansion and am having the same problem again, even though I still have skipintrovideo=1. What could be causing this? Does the expansion have a seperate intro video I need to tell it to skip?

Any help would be appreciated, since I got both the game and expansion through steam and because of this I cannot install the game stand alone. Which basically means I can't play even vanilla any more.

When I got Civ 5, I had the problem where it would launch to a black screen and remain that way. I fixed it by editing the .ini file to skip the intro video and never had a problem again. Now I installed the expansion and am having the same problem again, even though I still have skipintrovideo=1. What could be causing this? Does the expansion have a seperate intro video I need to tell it to skip?

Any help would be appreciated, since I got both the game and expansion through steam and because of this I cannot install the game stand alone. Which basically means I can't play even vanilla any more.

You will actually need to kill two different sets of movies if you're having a codec problem.

Delete all the .wmv's you see in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

And delete the .wmv as well as the .wma's in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion\

Let me know if this corrects the problem for you.

Out of curiousity, could you post a DXDIAG so I can take a look?

Thanks.

I had the exact same blank screen problem. I tried disabling the intro video, removing the movies as suggested above (all that did was make the game hang on the static image loading screen instead of the blank screen) and even playing in windowed mode.

What finally did it was updating my ATI Catalyst drivers to the latest version and restarting :p

Mind you there are still glitches, apparently some terrain is not rendering properly. Will see if it's playable. Vanilla version worked okay as late as yesterday.

My ATI card is upgraded, but G + K is still getting black screens at the start, and G+K still crashes---it might just be the laptop though, my startup screens are taking longer to load since the first crash, so maybe it's overheating?

Top Bottom