Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

They did say on facebook that there was a problem with their server today, no more information since then.

It works again. Updates are always done so i don't know what makes these things happening.

Is there a time span in wich you can play a turn in GMR?

Not sure what you mean, but, you can play your turn whenever you want.

There is also an option to add a turn timer that skips you and lets the AI make the turn if you take to long.

Its my first time when i play a GMR game but game crashes when i click (GMR) Play this one! in load hotseat game dialog.
The error message is: http://tinypic.com/r/jkimg1/8

I have Civilization V with all DLCs including G&K and BNW.

Game is http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game#14321

Manually downloaded this and tried with same result.

Installed Civ5 and tried this on a different computer, on my laptop(i5 processor with 8GB of RAM, Win 7), also with same result. (i didn't installed GMR client on my laptop, tried manually only)

Edit: Seems the host was hosting from Linux, maybe this was the problem.

Fantastic to see GMR back up and running after recent difficulties.

I strongly encourage people to load up civ and save their current "(GMR) Play This One!" game file BEFORE running GMR, otherwise it'll be overwritten and lost forever and it could be extremely helpful in reconstructing a game.

There is an archive folder in the hotseat saves folder. Upload the recent saves from there.

Is there a way to open these files in the archive folder to see who was playing and what civ they had to reinvite them (those files are saved *after* one has played, therefore they cannot be opened in game since it's the turn of the following player already.)

i did save all email notifications from comment entrys. thats very helpfull for reinviting the correct people into the recreated games.

Well, the current operational state of GMR is more then bad. Website is awful slow during GMT 10pm till 6am. The GMR tool looses the player and games every now and then. Games couldn't be downloaded or failed to upload. Guys, it is getting worse then better...what is the problem about?

Hi guys! I've been out of the civ loop for a couple years now. What is the current state of play for MP? Did they (Firaxis) ever implement Pitboss, and is it usable (or a pale shadow of GMR)? Has live MP actually gotten worse? With BNW and BE, is Civ 5 now consigned to the dustbin of development history?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi guys! I've been out of the civ loop for a couple years now. What is the current state of play for MP? Did they (Firaxis) ever implement Pitboss, and is it usable (or a pale shadow of GMR)? Has live MP actually gotten worse? With BNW and BE, is Civ 5 now consigned to the dustbin of development history?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Pitboss is now an option yes.
MP is more stable, better than CIV:BE (bizaarely) but still not perfect. Disconnections or loss of sync still happen.

GMR is and always has been "okay", not much has changed there.

BNW in MP is "okay" but sim turns is just not great. Civ was never designed for click fests.

BE is kill. Don't even bother for MP. No one is playing it and even if they were, it crashes very frequently, its a mess.

Civ5 development is also kill, but with civ6 now announced, that is not a surprised to be honest.

Civ6 MP is apparently offering new twists to offer faster games and I assume traditional mode will also return, I welcome the new (planned) changes because civ is a game you either win or lose, S L O W L Y and there is just no incentive to stick around and keep losing if you fail an invasion or drop behind in science too much.

Also welcome back, I guess. Not the best time to come back admittedly, maybe wait 2 or so months for civ6 to land.

CIV:BE (bizaarely) but still not perfect. Disconnections or loss of sync still happen.

GMR is and always has been "okay", not much has changed there.

BNW in MP is "okay" but sim turns is just not great. Civ was never designed for click fests.

BE is kill. Don't even bother for MP. No one is playing it and even if they were, it crashes very frequently, its a mess.

Acronym overkill, please, what are all these short for? GMR? BNW? BE?

What is the benefit of this service as opposed to Pitboss?

Does this eliminate the need for a Pitboss server on someone's LAN?

Top Bottom