Warhammer FB mod Teaser Pics and Call For Help

J_Period

gone :(
I've been working on this Warhammer Fantasy Battle Mod for a few weeks now and I've decided I like it enough to take it public :D
Here's a coupla images.

In order to complete this, I need help, though. I think can do most the XML and Python stuff myself (what else is a 3rd year computer science student good for?) Of course all help is welcome.

But, when it comes to graphics...I'm clueless.
All the graphics I have so far are taken from the forums (I assume if you post on the forums, you want them used.) But I do need MANY MANY more graphics. The excel file attached has a list of units I need graphics for. Sheet 1 has the religious units I need (More on this later). Sheet 2 has the normal units for each race. Sheet three has the buildings.
Other random things I need include:
*Icons and graphics for new resources- Monster Eggs, Warpstone, Barley, Ithilmar and Gromril.
*Leaderheads (Still or animated, I don't care for now) for just about everyone but Settra and Ariel.

They are color coded:
*Yellow=I'm satisfied with the graphics I have right now, but if you want to submit anything, I'll be happy to look at them.
*White=I have an okey graphic right now, but I want another before I'm done.
*Red= I have nothing that's appropriate. Anything would be great!
*Black=this race doesn't get this unit
(Note, if something is blank, then just the default unit (on the far left) will be used)

Graphics can be new models (yay for 3dsMax plugin!) or reskins, I'm not picky. For inspiration, visit the Games Workshop Online Store

I am looking for:
3-d graphics designer
skins designer
Civpedia Text Writer.
Buttons designer.
Diplomacy Text Writer.
Music/Sound people.

Later, I'll Need:
Translators (for German, Spanish, etc...I can handle English :D )
Map/Scenario Designers

Of course anything you want to contribute is welcome and nothing here is legally binding. I won't come after you with a sword if one day you say you want to do all of the new models and the next day you remember you have school :).

I hope to have a Beta with at least 2 Civ's out by March 11th, when Spring Break ends.

If you want to help in any way, let me know by PM or here.

Thanks,
j

PS. If you see any of the default Acolyte/ Priest/ High Priest/ Incarnations or ???? on the Religious units section, it means that I haven't come up with anything for that now. Suggestions are welcome.
PPS. I know that Dork isn't a real Orc god, and that Ulric isn't really the god of craft and etc... I've stretched things to make them work. Bear with me :) If you know of anything that works better, let me know.

Edit 2/20: Updated WHUnits.xls I realized I had forgotten a few of the religious units and some of the buildings

Attachments

• WHUnits.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 163
Cool Features that will be included:
*6 Religions with 4 Gods, with 4 Unique Units and 4 Unique Buildings per God (That's 96 Religious units and buildings!)

*3 Monotheistic Religions- Cult of Sigmar, The Lady of the Lake, and the Horned Rat. I haven't implemented these yet, I'm not sure how I will do so while keeping things fair.

*Citizen-Soldiers: Workers of certain races will be able to upgrade to Citizen-Archers and Citizen-Spearmen and back again to workers.

*If you don't see your favorite race (Skaven) or favorite units (savage orcs) never fear! I plan on eventually creating every concievable unit and/or race eventually. Key word being EVENTUALLY. Be patient. (I welcome any skins/models for Skaven or any other race, btw)

*I definately will be implementing TheLopez's Mercenary mod. Yay for Regiments of Reknown!

*I also will be adding more buildings. Suggestions are, as always, welcome.

*Psychology (fear, frenzy, hatred, etc) from WH will be mostly present.

*If anyone has any pics or any info from Man O' War (the OLD OLD Warhammer fleet game) PM me with it...cuz my ships are just the default mostly for now.

The Team So Far
me (J_Period): XML and some python
Lord Olleus: python
seZereth: various graphics
solwen: french translation/civilopedia entries
Ploeperpengel: kinda freelance button maker :D
Communisto: making a map
Tyrion: Alpha testing

That's no steam tank, but some cheap reskin. Why didn't u make steam tank model ? The necessary plugins are out, check main c&c forums.

looks intresting. I don't have the time for extensive xml modding but if you want python help just pm me. What are you going to do with promotions?
Also i don't think that the AI will be able to cope with an upgrade loop (worker-archer-worker-...) but thats a very good idea.
Will this mod be just the old world (men, orcs, dwarves, scaven, high elves) or will it be the entire world (dark elves, ogers, lizardmen, ect...)
Another thing. Which race will represent barbarian? or would they just be random Chaos armies?

I would like to help a little bit with graphics, skins and so on, but the question is, do we have to create completely new ones or can we use stuff from games workshop ? as this is a noncommercial mod?! if so, it wont be hard to get graphics for buttons and portraits and skins and so on....

just find out about that.

Lord Olleus said:
What are you going to do with promotions?
Well, most of the psychology in the tabletob game (frenzy, hatred, etc...) as well as most the special rules (Lizardmen will have marine-type UG)will be there as preplaced promotions. What they can recieve from experience, I hadn't thought about that beyond the defaults...Any suggestions from anyone? Maybe champions, heros, musicians, and standard bearers.

Lord Olleus said:
Also i don't think that the AI will be able to cope with an upgrade loop
(worker-archer-worker-...) but thats a very good idea.
Good point, I hadn't thought about the AI. Maybe right now, maybe when the SDK comes out it will be possible to program new scripts for the AI. I'll have to look into it. But it shouldn't be too difficult. Tell them to "get their weapons" if they sense an enemy within 3 spaces or something.

Lord Olleus said:
Will this mod be just the old world (men, orcs, dwarves, scaven, high elves) or will it be the entire world (dark elves, ogers, lizardmen, ect...)
Whole world, of course! Just the lizardmen, skaven, many of the chaos unit, and etc will have to wait until I get specific models.

Lord Olleus said:
Another thing. Which race will represent barbarian? or would they just be random Chaos armies?

There will be all manner of barbs. since every race has random hordes and such that don't follow the rules. The way that I have it set up right now at first it is mostly humans, but once I get to that part, I'll take a few units from each race.

seZereth said:
I would like to help a little bit with graphics, skins and so on, but the question is, do we have to create completely new ones or can we use stuff from games workshop ? as this is a noncommercial mod?! if so, it wont be hard to get graphics for buttons and portraits and skins and so on....

Hmm yes, I had been indiscriminantly getting stuff from GW's site, I hadn't considered the legal....stuff... I can't imagine that they would be upset over this since I don't plan on selling it and they already have it available for free. But it probably is still worth looking into. I'll post if I get an answer

Belizan said:
Crash757 said:
That's no steam tank, but some cheap reskin. Why didn't u make steam tank model ? The necessary plugins are out, check main c&c forums.

Uh, he did say he's not an artist. What is it with some people?

Thank you Belizan :crazyeye:

All I have to say is crash, if you can do better... I'll include it in the mod.

Aight time to start my day
lates
j

seZereth said:

Okey I found out: No direct scans or copies of GW's property :(
Here's their legal FAQ thingies.
IP policy
What you can and cannot do
But it is okey to make Mods/TC's based on their stuff

So it looks like any pictures, text, etc, we use will have to be user-made. It's a good thing you brought this up early, since I only have 3-4 pics and 1 Civopedia entry that I use from their stuff.

Stupid legal crap :p

j

i would say send an email to GW. They might even give you some stuff which would help you. Have you tried posting on GW forum (thats if they one), someone there might be willing to help.

The two links I have are directly from GW's "legal" page and they directly address Games, Total Conversions, and Mods. Among what they say not to do is is
Make any direct copies and/or scans of Games Workshop publications, images, or other materials. This includes any Out-o- Production materials, web site materials, and White Dwarf articles. We would however suggest that you produce your own materials (as long as you follow the other requirements of this policy).
but they also say
We want people to express their enjoyment of our games with as little interference from us as possible, as long as they behave reasonably with our IP and follow any reasonable requests that we may make. We are not inherently opposed to hobbyists creating games or mods using our IP, in fact we are flattered that people want to spend so much time creating games and mods in the GW universes.

If you want to make a game, TC or a mod using our IP you must adhere to the following (in addition to the general principles as outlined above)
Then they give a list of things we have to do, basically state that this is an unofficial mod (duh) and that we don't own any of the Trademarks, and whatever.

In other words, in terms of using their pictures or text we're SOL. But the names of creatures, places, as well as the logo (I think, as long as we don't "distort it") and etc, we're cool.

Sheesh I just wanted to make a cool conversion, never thought I would have to learn about Copyright and Intellectual property law.

ok, hi there i will ask at the civ3 forum at their warhammer FB mod for support, have some special ideas in mind ;)
And i think we could do photos or get photos of the plastic/tin models, then i rework them with photoshop and then we got images for units and or things like that. so get some good pages, and if you find some fanart, write the links in here, perhaps we get some support from any "unprofessional" artist.

Thanks Great Apple for the hint. Lexicanum looks to be a great source. I just wrote them.

seZereth-Good idea, too. I'm searching through various fan art sites and will begin emailing the artists, seeing if they would be interested in helping.

http://www.lexicanum.com/
agreed to let us use their articles in our mod, so long as we credit them and etc... Check it out for those who are interested. Pretty neat site, though it does need more articles (maybe we can help with that, since the articles we will be writing for the civopedia will be pretty much identical to what they need)
Also, a little off topic, here's another really cool looking Warhammer mod in progress (this one for Rome: Total War) http://www.zodiak-productions.com/
Well, time to do some actual coding (can you believe since taking this thing "public" I've spent probably less than half the time I was previously doing coding the rest has been spent finding information, the legal stuff, writing to potential team members, etc...:crazyeye: Guess it comes with the territory )

Until later
j

you could also try asking at zodiac productions for their models ;) but u should get a 3d modeler in your team first

I'm lookin for some input from the community at large:
What should some of the various spells in this mod be/do?
I love the projectile-type spells from FfH, but obviously, that shouldn't be it. (I know that's not all they have in FfH too)
I was thinking of having necromancers raise the dead of their defeated opponents, and having wood elf wizards be able to plant new forests, but what else could we do?
For that matter, how do you all think Goblin Fanatics, Wood Elf Rangers, and other special units should work?
Right now we're working on
Dwarf Slayers: +100% attack strength vs creatures w/more than or equal to twice their own attack strength
Orc and Goblin Animosity: Each Orc and Goblin unit takes a test at the beginning of each turn. They have a 10% chance of losing one action point
Orc and Goblin Shamans- "Waaagh" gives them +5% attack strength for each goblin unit in same stack, +10% for each orc.
Causes Fear- a unit that doesn't have the the "Causes Fear" promotion has a chance of ignoring orders and not attacking the fear-causing opponent, or if a non fear-causing unit is attacked by the unit that causes fear, their combat stength is -20%.
Frenzy promotion that gives blitz, but they lose this promotion if they withdraw from combat.
Hatred promotion that gives +20% strength, and -20% withdraw rate if the opponent has a certain promotion (their race) eg. A unit with the "Hate Goblins" promotion will get +20% strength vs a unit with the "Goblin" promotion
Snotlings- (who doesn't love Snotlings?) have the same promotions as a random unit in the same stack as them (though they don't get their own promotions)

Though I realize some of this isn't possible yet w/o the SDK, it's still fun to imagine. Anyone else have any great ideas? (BTW I'm pushing back the hopeful alpha release date to March 11th, at the END of my spring break, since I'm gonna be working on it pretty much 24/7 for that week anyways...when I'm not out having fun)

Later,
j

I have done the Snotlings promotion. Please not that when they copy a random unit they might try to copy themselves (therefore not going very far)
I have also done the aminosity promotion and it seems to be completely bug free. I have also done the 'Waaagh' promotion but at the moment it is only worked out at the begining of a turn.
Frenzy should be easily doable with python.
I am not sure that the current python functions allow the others to be done.
New graphics for the different promotions would be nice and so would a way of hiding 'background' promotions.

Has anyone thought about the tech tree?
We obviously can't leave it as it is but what should have replacing it. Also what kind of time scale should we have?
Also what kind of time scale should we have and what should the ages be. Maybe something like this (names are needed of course)
1) The great elvish vs dwarf war
2) the elves split into high and dark
3) the empire is founded
4) the first great war against chaos
5) man discovers the far flung continents of the old world
6) the second great war versus chaos
These are more events than ages but it still gives a rough idea of what the scale is.
Of course this does cause some problems - how can you play as the empire before it was founded?

Here's a preliminary view of the tech tree Lord O, since you were interested.
It reflects how powerful the units you can build will be, rather than actual warhammer history. (If you have ideas to get around this, lemme know, please!)
Plus this is the simple, non expanded version. After first release, I want to GREATLY expand this. Also, you'll notice no custom buttons are included, so that's needed as well. (BTW Flight is a tech that's only for dwarves-for their Gyrocopter Unit)

As for problems/ contradictions, well I guess I'll handle it like the makers of Civ did... ignore the problem :D. Well, seriously, in the case of the Empire and other empires of man, we can assume that they are the tribes that would later become the Empire or Brettonia, etc...
In the case of Dark Elves...blah...it's like the American Civ..they split off from another civ, but they are too important to be ignored. Maybe in the custom map they can appear later in the game or something.

Top Bottom