FAQ: Civ4, Warlords and BtS on your Mac - in OS X or Windows

Hi, don't know if it's the right place to post but I'm trying to play saved gamed posted on strategy & tips forum (ex: Emperor Cookbook...) but BTS says that the save is only for 3.2 version !!! Any ideas on how to use these kind of saves?

BtS version 3.2 doesn't exit as far as I know, on any platform.

Are you sure it says 3.2 and not 302? 302 is the saved game file version number for BtS 3.19. If you are running version 3.17 or earlier then you will need to upgrade BtS, as they only know how to read saved games at version 301.

Thanks Alan, it's exactly that. It says 302, my bad.

So I need to play 3.19.

I'm so bored, I bought BTS for mac and the DVD is not working anymore (don't know why!) so I downgraded to 3.17 as I'm forced to use a no-DVD tools that only applies to 3.17!

I'll send back the DVD to the shop see what they can do.

Thanks for the reply.

Product: Beyond the Sword

Platform: OS X

Question:
Can I upgrade the version of Rhye's & Fall or The Road the War that was installed with Beyond the Sword? Can I install the Windows versions of these mods?

Answer:
No.

These two mods Have custom DLLs in their Windows versions. The Mac BtS software does not support custom DLLs, so in order to deliver the mods, Aspyr had to compile special BtS applications with the DLLs embedded in them. The Windows versions will therefore not work.

I have Windows XP Professional installed on Parallels (running Snow Leopard), but I'm having trouble getting my custom mod to show up (a mod of Rhye's that required recompiling the DLL)...before I go through the trouble of installing Boot Camp and setting it up JUST to play that Civ mod, can anyone confirm if running it through Boot Camp will be just like running it on a PC? I'd really rather not invest the time only to find that it doesn't work if someone else already knows one way or the other...

Switching to Bootcamp *might* solve your problems, but I'm not optimistic. What happens when you try to run it in Parallels?

Have you run your mod successfully on a native PC? If so, it is surprising that it doesn't run in Parallels. The recompiled DLL should behave identically, and the only issues are likely to be with your mod's graphics.

the only native PC at my disposal is my girlfriend's 2003 IBM Thinkpad, which seems to display the start screen info correctly (my first clue on my own that it wasn't reading the new dll), but even with the sliders all the way down, it's a bit sloooooow to test the thing fully. Still, a step in the right direction.

I'd really rather not put boot camp on...if you or someone else has advice for making it work in parallels I'd really appreciate that. It's not that the mod doesn't run in Parallels, it's that it doesn't show up in the menu.

In XP on Parallels I'm going to put it in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meyer's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods, but it just doesn't appear at all.

Moderator Action: DELETED. One person asking the same question in several places doesn't make it an FAQ.

no dice, I've spent the last four weeks learning C++ and altering Rhye's and Fall of Civilization to add the Celts as a playable civ.

Apparently, Macs won't run anything that doesn't use the unaltered DLL...this is because the original DLL (and Rhye's DLL) are included just for the checksum, and are not actually used by the Mac. The info from the DLLs are hard coded somehow in a workaround on the Mac install, so my choices are to use something that involves the original DLL (not possible as the mod has to exceed 18 civs) or Rhye's original (no good because all the stability info and stuff for the civ I created are in CvRhyes.cpp and necessitate a recompiled DLL to take effect...using the original DLL makes the Celts think they're Carthaginians and insisting on colonizing North Africa while ignoring Gaul and the British Isles...in addition to other issues).

This basically leaves me only the alternatives of getting it running in the PC install on XP Pro (running conveniently in Parallels 5.0 ...but i'm not having much luck so far) or installing a partition and Boot Camp with XP Pro and hope that after all that it finally works, even though it requires a separate startup to access.

...sigh...

Hmm. If the mod doesn't even show up in the menu when you select Load a Mod then there's something very odd going on. All it needs to see is the folder in the Mods folder. At that stage it doesn't even care if there's anything inside the folder.

I just created an empty folder called "Test Mod" in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ in my copy of BtS in Parallels/WinXP. I started up BtS and selected Advanced->Load A Mod. The displayed list of mods included "Test Mod".

So I suspect BtS is not correctly installed, or you have not put the mod in the place you think you put it.

Alright, I've got it now (I think), it was just a matter of finding the right "Mods" folder (there are several), and making sure there were no old copies lurking around in wrong places. I got it to show up, the dll I've made appears to be working properly. On the first go around, the game crashed after I'd played a few turns, but I'm going to try it on chrystal mode without other things running on OS X...naturally, it only does me good if the system can handle it, but I do remember playing civ bts on Parallels 3 a year ago, albeit with the sliders down...

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but is there any information on how CIV BtS performs on the iMacs that use the ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB) graphics card?

When I check the Aspyr website for support info, that card isn't listed (the only cards listed are: 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X600, X800, X1600, X1900, HD 2400, 2600, 3870)

Any ideas?

Product: All

Question:
What can I do to fix problems with leader images? Faces are missing, I see floating eyebrows and hair, or other strange errors.

Answer:
Anti-aliasing is broken.
Go to Options in the main game menu. Select Graphics. Change to Anti-Aliasing MultiSamples: 0. Zero is the only value that's sure to work.

Product: Warlords
Question: So I am a simple player and don't know how to convert Windows-based scenarios and mods to Mac. So I was wondering if anybody has tested any of the popular World War II scenarios for Mac.

you cannot convert any one that uses a modified DLL (most of the good ones). The Mac has a DLL as a placeholder in the regular game and in rhye's, but it doesn't acutally read it for the game. Any altered dll will cause the game to use the default one anyway and crash the mod. The mac version is hard-coded with a workaround for the dll in the vanilla game(s) and rhye's mod ONLY.

on the upside, I bought the pc version and Crossover Games (a version of Wine for intel macs) and it works FANTASTICALLY...runs other pc programs too without requiring a windows install.

I can now run any mod or SDK software to mod my own...it's fast, it's stable and...well...i have not words for its awesomeness.

plus, the latest patch for the pc means no cd is required to run the game.

We don't know, but there have been Mac versions of all the previous Civ games ... eventually.

Help.

platform; windows
game: Civ 4 Warlords
mod: World War II in the pacific
whenever I load a scenario that I loaded from here I never know where to put it or what to click next. For instance, I put it into the mods file and load Civ 4 warlords. Then, i load the mod and it loads fine but then i don't know which to select, play game, load game, warlords scenarios, scenarios, custom games or custom scenarios. If i play a scenario it either makes me instantly lose or only have workers in ancient times. please help.

I play Warlords on Mac. Is there a way to upload a saved game in a format that a Windows user can open? Somebody asked me to upload my game position for comments, and I have no clue how to do it. Thanks!:)

If you have not run with a mod then your Mac Warlords saves should be compatible with Windows Warlords. It's safest if you are both running the same version - v2.13 is the current version of Warlords on both platforms.

You can upload your save by clicking the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the appropriate thread. Type your message in the "Reply to Thread" editing area, and then click "Manage Attachments" in the "Additional Options" panel below it. Choose your Warlords save, click the "Upload" button, and then close the "Manage Attachments" window. Your uploaded file should be shown next to the "Manage Attachments" button. Click "Submit Reply" to post your message with its attached file.

Top Bottom