End of Empires - N3S III

NK: I haven't got any treasury listed at all, but I believe that my orders should have resulted in [1500] remaining in the kitty at the end of the turn. Could you explain/correct this, please? :)

Good update by the way.

NK: I haven't got any treasury listed at all, but I believe that my orders should have resulted in [1500] remaining in the kitty at the end of the turn. Could you explain/correct this, please? :)

Good update by the way.

I misread your orders; you are correct. :)

-ekt has been established as the demonym pluralizer -- or whatever you'd actually call it -- in the north for some time now. If you wanted it to be set off to exclusively refer to the Cyvekt, you missed the chance to do that a long time ago. :p

I do imagine the Cyvekt and Nechekt as being more closely related to each other than to the other Stettin, but they're still all clearly part of the same geographic family. I mean, the Cyvekt migrated from Stettin lands when they displaced the Ederrot, didn't they?

If nationalism ever happens the historians will have a field day with this one.

-ekt has been established as the demonym pluralizer -- or whatever you'd actually call it -- in the north for some time now. If you wanted it to be set off to exclusively refer to the Cyvekt, you missed the chance to do that a long time ago. :p

I've been using it for Lusekt, Nechekt, and Cyvekt. Just not the Stettin.

I do imagine the Cyvekt and Nechekt as being more closely related to each other than to the other Stettin, but they're still all clearly part of the same geographic family. I mean, the Cyvekt migrated from Stettin lands when they displaced the Ederrot, didn't they?

If nationalism ever happens the historians will have a field day with this one.

Well, the Cyvekt aren't a Stettin dynasty, and -ekt isn't a Stettin suffix exclusively. It's one that came into usage when the Cyvekt started using it, and since the Cyvekt became influential, everyone else in the region started using it, too. Honestly I don't know what Lucky is griping about; it's a sign of his cultural influence. :p

That said, by now the Cyvekt and Nechekt are closer to each other than the Nechekt are to the Stettin, but that's a result of long years of trade, cultural ties, and intermarriage, not historical migration patterns.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but now that it appears that my only other NES has collapsed, you have my full and undivided attention. Are there any "out of the way" NPC nations I could take over, or should I kick something off in that black area as we discussed earlier. Thank you!

At the House of Peace
Part I

Night falls late on Hiuttu at that time of year; the air was clearing of that kind of musty heat that dominates in the tail-end of summer, and the streets were clearing of the pedlars and beggars who hang around the main square quite late in the evening. It was the time of year when most people, or at least the less Satar types, took a late-afternoon sleep - a practice that would soon recede as the nights grew longer and the air went from musty to stale - and the spurt of activity that came in the evening was every year most acute in the last days of stifling heat. Maybe it was really that everyone was just finally getting into the habit of this kind of sleeping; it seemed, though, like everyone was somehow desperate to milk all the hours they could out of the last days before autumn came. No hullaballoo arose as a ship's crew, finely dressed as one might expect the crew of a great lord to be attired, bronze masks glistening proudly yet hesitantly in the receding daylight, and carrying retainers' staffs, marched - or rather walked, but so, how shall I put it, emulously, that you might well say that they were marching - up from the harbour. They trod on the large cobbled stones, which were all bright in the embers of daylight, in no unison, and stood in no formation: the formation was the natural one of loyal crewmen surrounding the litter of the illustrious Metexares, and all the more impressive just so, and the houses rising above the cobbles framed them elegantly as the start of the sunset blazed below the open vault of the sky.

Metexares came into the House of Peace directly upon the end of the short walk from the harbour; the litter was stood upright in the litter-stand (and you will see that this house was something more than an ad hoc place of assembly for this coterie of lords). The sailors and retainers descended to the cellars, where one supposes they ate their evening meal, but there was no delaying for Metexares. He went alone up the stairs, his swift footsteps re-echoing up the walls and over the wooden floor, and approached the last few steps just as his brother Arbetaxas met him. Rarely, you know, do you see such open joy in a meeting of two Satar men; rarely does any emotion show through the mask; but the moment was fleeting. Every man in the room behind stood from his chair to greet him, as Arbetaxas stepped backwards over the floor to come to a stand with his brother but two paces through the door, while he stood halfway to the great table. In the most formal Satar Arbetaxas spoke:

"O Brother, thou didst send unto us that we might meet that thou might come unto us in this House."

"O Arbetaxas, thou art a noble kinsman, and I honour thee."

"Metexares, we're all met, me, you, the six other Radiant Stars, and all nine of the other men you urged me to summon. You sent for me by one of the best messengers in the whole army, too, and came with all haste from Hanakahi. The matter of discussion must be truly important."

"Important it is, Arbetaxas, and most serious." And he stamped on the floor (in a unique way well-known among the Star as a signal for order). All the lords looked at him like their eyes were fixed in a bright light, and he raised his voice to fill the room with the sound:

"Noble lords, my friends and companions, I will tell you why I have brought you here with no hesitation. The Redeemer, our lord Kartis, hath died and is become like as the stars of the celestial orb, in his old age, of a disease from the south."

Now, for another circumstance or in another land, it might have been time for the long-winded story of his last hours, but that could come later for the Radiant Stars, who knew what would come next, again in the most ancient Satar:

"Before ye, then, I say it hath been established in a former time, when ye did here meet as old age came upon our lord and uncle's head; I proclaim that by my Exatas ye, the Radiant Stars, will acknowledge me your sovereign and declare that I am your Lord, and unto the people who sprung from the north and rose unto the rock of Athas will ye bear witness that I am their lord; and I shall rule according to the laws of the Satar, and mercifully judge and justly defend my Exatas, and protect those who will prostrate themselves unto me from all offence."

"O Brother, I acknowledge thee my sovereign and declare that thou art my Lord." Thus spoke Arbetaxas, and, prostrating himself, acknowledged his brother the new Redeemer. Each man in turn followed him; each had known and been prepared for this to come one day, for this procedure for the appointment of the new Redeemer was not of recent origin. He would yet be presented to the army, but that was almost a foregone conclusion; scarcely ever had the army in recent times even doubted the Radiant Stars' appointment. Each man, then, of the six who were the Redeemer Kartis's nephews, confirmed their allegiance to their lord; each man of the nine other men, mainly the sons of the old heads of families in the Star, pledged themselves too. Then each man arose and stood by the table. Awe filled the room, since for each of them this should never be lived again, and before them stood the bright light of the sky on earth and the right lord of all men.

From: Fulwarc III cuCyve, Prince of Bone, King of Cyve, Protector of the Stettin, Champion of Taleldil
To: The Heltekt

They say that when my great grandfather first landed in Nech, he marched for a year and a day before he could find any warrior brave enough to face him. For truly he was the Terror, the wind of Taleldil always at his back.

By the right of the blood he shed, your kingdom belongs to me.

But I care not for conquest, only glorious battle with the Darkness. We are free Northmen, not slaves to the Red Lady and her puppet Martuska. Bend the knee and I will confirm you King of Helt. You will kneel a servant and rise a brother and tarkan. And your people will prosper, for I will grant you rich lands and fertile forests from my own princedom.

And let me wed the fairest daughter of Helt, so you know in truth that Cyvekt and Stettin are brothers again as they once were.

You insult us, Third. Your Great-grandfather is dead -- any right he has to these lands died with him. If you should wish to marry my daughter, I would be happy to bless the union of holy matrimony myself, but I am not your tarkan. I am not your Artaxeras. Take care, lad, that you do not lose the few allies you have in the north.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but now that it appears that my only other NES has collapsed, you have my full and undivided attention. Are there any "out of the way" NPC nations I could take over, or should I kick something off in that black area as we discussed earlier. Thank you!

You really need to give me more than just "out of the way"; there's a lot of NPCs that fit that description. :p

From: Fulwarc III cuCyve, Prince of Bone, King of Cyve, Protector of the Stettin, Champion of Taleldil
To: The Heltekt

My namesake needed no allies but his axe.

But I am not the Terror. I will give you the respect you seek, if you give me the honor I deserve. And I will marry your daughter gladly.

Treaty of Bursun

1. The Kingdom of Kilar and the Kothari Exatai, and the rulers thereof, King Karamad and the Redeemer Meteraxes, agree henceforth to be firm allies, and to have the same friends and enemies for the future, and only to dissolve this treaty by mutual consent.

2. Accordingly, the Redeemer Meteraxes's armies will march against Jipha.

3. The King of Kilar and his successors will henceforth treat Jipha as Kothari territory. All lands which are part of the Kingdom of Kilar will continue to be recognised as independent for the future by the Kothari Exatai.

4. Tariffs will be reduced to minimal levels between the Kothari Exatai and Kilar.

5. The signatories will allow each other's armies to pass through each other's territory at will, although such armies will not encamp at length in the other party's territory and will not be quartered at the expense of the locals.

Signed by the Redeemer Meteraxes

------------

Accordingly, in the name of the Ayasi's protectorate over Kilar, and in the name of bringing Exatas unto ourselves and justice unto Kilar, we declare war on Jipha.

To: The Prince of Ereithaler, The Prince of Helt, and All Other Free Princes of Stettin

Young Fulwarc has been allowed to occupy Nech as his fathers did, and he is a true, if overenthusiastic, servant of the Golden Mask. But I will not allow my champion to remove you from your rights and princedoms, only slay the demons which have brought war to all our homelands. As long as no open homage is done to the Queen of Darkness and her avatars and servants, no harm will come to you.

Consider yourselves my friends, with my protection upon you against any harm.

OOC couldn't the crown prince denounce his father for his actions, drag his father to Gaci in chains, and still retain both inheritance rights as well as a rejuvenated public opinion? I didn't want to say this earlier, but by now I suppose it is too late.

OOC: Yes, that was one of the possibilities I had in mind earlier. He - or any other people of influence in Jipha - had his window in which to do this, but did not act fast enough.

IC:

The Ayasi approves of the Treaty of Bursun. May the transgressors against our peace be brought to justice. The strong men of Jipha had their chance to redeem themselves, but did not act fast enough, and so have brought this on their own heads.

Top Bottom