Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

Don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

I plan to produce a Mac version of BUFFY when Aspyr release version 3.19 of BtS so that Mac players will be able to play BtS GOTMs, but I have not done much work on it yet. I do know that the BUFFY code doesn't run on my Mac without modification, because of the usual issues with Python versions and a custom DLL, but I don't know if this also applies to BUG.

I just went online, and it wanted me to download a patch 319.

it seemed to download, and then it said press ok to install, and when I did that the game just quit and did nothing. I opened the game back up and went to "about this build" and it was still 317.

Then I tried to go into internet game again to see if it would re-download it and instead the game just froze.

This BtS has been so buggy and crash-happy I am a little surprised it was even released.

I just went online, and it wanted me to download a patch 319.

That was the Windows 3.19 patch which is no use to you whatsoever. :sad: For some reason (contractual?) that functionality was ported over even though it's not used.

Please read the local FAQ. It occasionally contains useful information :p

There's even a post that gives the latest available Mac versions of each product.

It isn't working for me, so I posted in the bug forum about since they were asking. There is something being called by Python called 'set' that isn't working well with the Mac version.
It could be an incompatibility with Python 2.3 for all I know.

This is the download/install instruction page, for anyone who wants to try. (I put mine in the Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword directory.)

Here is my PythonErr.log, if anyone with more Python knowledge than me knows anything about 'set'.
Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "<string>", line 52, in load_module
File "CvEventInterface", line 13, in ?
File "BugEventManager", line 58, in ?
File "CvEventManager", line 12, in ?
File "CvScreensInterface", line 256, in ?
File "CvVictoryScreen", line 113, in __init__
NameError
:
global name 'set' is not defined

Failed to load python module CvEventInterface.
ERR: Call function onEvent failed. Can't find module CvEventInterface

It isn't working for me, so I posted in the bug forum about since they were asking. There is something being called by Python called 'set' that isn't working well with the Mac version.
It could be an incompatibility with Python 2.3 for all I know.

That is a problem I have found and fixed in previous mods. set has to be changed to a Python 2.3 construct - Set(), I think. It is the first hurdle I came across when looking at BUFFY as well. I did warn the BUFFY developers about this problem, but an instance has obviously crept through.

I fed back a set of file updates to them about six weeks ago. Whenever I ask if they are going to release the Mac-compatible update I am assured it's a day or two away, so I have not put out an interim patch.

Its finally here. :)
Download link

Downloaded and working beautifully, both as a mod and in Custom Assets. The latter required making a folder called "BUG Mod" (same level as Custom Assets) and moving the "Info" and "UserSettings" into it.

Please note that the version of "Smart Map" that is bundled with BUG is still not compatible with Mac BtS. It has fairly extensive Windows-only registry and directory Python code. I fixed it so that it allows the mod to load, but it needs more work to make it actually run cross-platform.

Yes. I debugged and tested it in the Mods folder in the BtS application folder. I confess I haven't tried it in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/. I *think* it should work there as well, but ...

[UPDATE] Yes, it looks OK there as well.

Thanks, Alan, that's where I've put it and it's working OK. Only one thing so far: I have a message flashing along the bottom of the screen all the time which reads "Press Alt+Cmd+O to customize the BUG Mod". I've done this, and even changed one or two things, but the message doesn't go away.

Top Bottom