AI has no problem nuking their own (captured) city

fotonut

Warlord
Playing as Polynesia, Immortal/Domination-only game, at war with Darius. I just couldn't resist nuking a city of his which was surrounded by many of his units. That got Darius retaliating in a bad way, nuking me pretty much every turn (but usually not doing too much damage since I tried to avoid clustering my units around his favorite target cities).

What surprised me was that the turn right after I captured a city of his, he turned around and nuked that city, with the population still in full resistance. I guess it might be considered a good defense strategy, since I was pretty close to his capital at that point, but still. Perhaps the population should stop resisting at that point, huh?

What surprised me was that the turn right after I captured a city of his, he turned around and nuked that city, with the population still in full resistance. I guess it might be considered a good defense strategy, since I was pretty close to his capital at that point, but still. Perhaps the population should stop resisting at that point, huh?

No, not if you know anything about people and warfare. As much as people don`t like this kind of thing, you`d be surprised what people will accept for the right reasons or what Leaders will do to try and defeat an enemy.

For instance, in WW2 Allied warships bombed German held areas in France before upcoming D-Day. In many instances they killed more innocent civilians than enemies, but the French didn`t hate the Allies because they knew it was war and the Allies had no choice, but to try and knock out the enemy capability, with obvious civilian casualties. There are many more examples.

I could see the very same situation happening in your case; you have taken the city, people still resist you, but the AI sees that you are too strong and must act while it can - It has no choice, but to hit you as HARD as it can, to prevent you sealing your gains, even if it causes the deaths of its own citizens.

Not nice, but I could see this grim and harsh situation happening in reality (hopefully, never).

No, not if you know anything about people and warfare. As much as people don`t like this kind of thing, you`d be surprised what people will accept for the right reasons or what Leaders will do to try and defeat an enemy.

For instance, in WW2 Allied warships bombed German held areas in France before upcoming D-Day. In many instances they killed more innocent civilians than enemies, but the French didn`t hate the Allies because they knew it was war and the Allies had no choice, but to try and knock out the enemy capability, with obvious civilian casualties. There are many more examples.

I could see the very same situation happening in your case; you have taken the city, people still resist you, but the AI sees that you are too strong and must act while it can - It has no choice, but to hit you as HARD as it can, to prevent you sealing your gains, even if it causes the deaths of its own citizens.

Not nice, but I could see this grim and harsh situation happening in reality (hopefully, never).

You have a good point.

(As an aside, in this case the city did use to be Polish originally, but conquered by Persia, but that was at least 100+ turns ago... Do citizens consider them fully integrated in the conquering civ after the resistance phase is over?)

But it's *nukes*..! :eek: I think my patriotism might waver a bit at that point... Put another way, I wouldn't be glowing with adoration for my country... :lol:

Actually you Would be :)

[that being the point]

For instance, in WW2 Allied warships bombed German held areas in France before upcoming D-Day. In many instances they killed more innocent civilians than enemies, but the French didn`t hate the Allies because they knew it was war and the Allies had no choice, but to try and knock out the enemy capability, with obvious civilian casualties.
Well, to be honest: Yankies and Tommies killed civilians as obvious side effect of war. The Germans killed 10 random civilians for each soldier/german killed/abducted by local resistance.

I thought it was very odd when I captured Seoul and the next turn Sejong targeted it with a nuclear strike. I mean, there's scorched earth, and there's slaughtering hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions of your own people with nuclear fire and radiation poisoning whilst they're begging you to liberate them from the invaders.

Perhaps if a city was originally yours, or your opponent has Influence, or Holy Cities of your main religion are involved, Nuke attacks that hit civilians should carry a happiness penalty.

I mean fair enough, the RAF et al bombed occupied areas. But there's a big difference between a couple of Lancasters taking out a factory with some collateral damage, and dropping a bloody atom bomb on Paris.

Yeah, not sure I'd compare some warships shelling strategic sections of an occupied city, to RAINING TORRENTS OF HELLFIRE AND MUTATION, INDISCRIMINATELY, DOWN UPON YOUR CITY AND YOU'RE PEOPLE. Pretty sure at that point I'd start contemplating joining Shaka.

Top Bottom