R.E.D. modpack

I'd like to see Indonesia and Siam updated too, with all those Indonesian units we found.

How can I change the indian civilizations in the indian civilization pack and for sri lanka to use indian units rather than south and west african ones?
There's a tutorial here, but the short answer is to change the ArtSuffixTag in the Civilizations table for the modded civ in question (to _INDIA in this case).

Since we're on the topic, I figured I'd let everyone know that I've been working on the next version of the v.28 beta (note I quietly posted a beta 2 a couple of weeks ago, but beta 3 should be coming soon).

Anyway, I was thinking about how to better support modded civs without needing to make my own database of all the new civ mods out there. My latest thought was hooking into Cultural Diversity since it's beginning to see some support by modders and much of it dovetails with the purposes of this mod nicely. (Note if you don't like the new bonuses, you can disable those and just keep the beautiful cosmetic enhancements.)

JFD plans to release a unit pack add-on for CulDiv independent of R.E.D., so Gedemon and I will apparently soon have some competition besides Ethnic Units (which hasn't been updated for more than a year), but I could potentially also utilize the art define suffixes that JFD is adding for his pack.

Hey Nutty been using the v28 beta for a while now, and from what I can see there aren't any major bugs to report, keep up the good work!

I do enjoy that musketmen are getting updated as they saw the changes until now, but i'm hoping for the new update or major update that byzantium could get it unique skins like this http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12915, http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12913, though I guess the challenge would be to convert them so I'm hoping someone on this thread knows how to.

Edit: I almost forgot to ask! Where the German knight and Longswordman change to the French/English style on purpose?

Hello everyone.

I don't know if this thread is still active or not, but I would like to ask a question.

How would I apply the R.E.D. models and textures to a custom unit?

For example, I want to make a unit that replaces the American paratrooper, but I want it to still use the models and skins of the American paratrooper from R.E.D.

Is this possible?

Thanks for reading.

I don't know if this thread is still active or not
Er, I just posted here 2 days ago?

I want to make a unit that replaces the American paratrooper, but I want it to still use the models and skins of the American paratrooper from R.E.D.
Easy peasy. For your custom unit, just set the art define to ART_DEF_UNIT_PARATROOPER_AMERICA.

Where the German knight and Longswordman change to the French/English style on purpose?
Uh, nooo... I'll take a look.

Easy peasy. For your custom unit, just set the art define to ART_DEF_UNIT_PARATROOPER_AMERICA.

Thank you for the quick response, it worked.

I really appreciate the help you've given me, and the hard work you and the original creator of the mod put into it.

One more question, I promise.

How would I define what artwork a specific unit from a specific civ uses?

I have a set of models and textures, and I want to apply them to just the American Marine.

The problem is, is that unit is originally untouched by R.E.D.

In other words, what file would I have to edit to set what the artwork for a specific unit in a specific civ uses?

Thanks again.

The file to edit is SQL\4-America.sql , though if the model art files aren't in R.E.D. already, you'll need to either:
1. Edit the .modinfo to reference the files in the section (you can leave out the md5="..." entry but you need import="1")
OR
2. Copy the files to anywhere under your Assets\ folder in the CiV program folder (by default on 64-bit Windows it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\ ), then edit %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini and set LooseFilesOverridePak = 1.

So what unit are you using for the marine?

The file to edit is SQL\4-America.sql , though if the model art files aren't in R.E.D. already, you'll need to either:
1. Edit the .modinfo to reference the files in the section (you can leave out the md5="..." entry but you need import="1")
OR
2. Copy the files to anywhere under your Assets\ folder in the CiV program folder (by default on 64-bit Windows it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\ ), then edit %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini and set LooseFilesOverridePak = 1.

So what unit are you using for the marine?

I am very unfamiliar with these SQL files. How exactly do I edit them?

Do I simply change "'unit_model_name'," of the corresponding unit to the name of the .fxsxml file I am using, or is it something more complex than that?

Afterwards, how would I apply the new edition to a unit?

I really appreciate your patience, I am pretty new to this.

As far as the SQL file, yes, that's all (assuming there is only one kind of model in the formation, and you are using the default scale and the default number of units in the formation). And be sure to remove the 2 hyphens ( -- ) preceding the line.

That's all you need to do, the code does the heavy lifting in the background (i.e., a new art define will be created for that unit type for that civ).

As far as the SQL file, yes, that's all (assuming there is only one kind of model in the formation, and you are using the default scale and the default number of units in the formation). And be sure to remove the 2 hyphens ( -- ) preceding the line.

That's all you need to do, the code does the heavy lifting in the background (i.e., a new art define will be created for that unit type for that civ).

I know I said I would ask one more question, so if you're getting annoyed with me, just ignore this.

Anyways, I have created a new unit. I want it to be compatible with R.E.D. I want it to have different looks based on the Civ.

In the America SQL, I added this as a new line: http://pastebin.com/cFfXeVYy

For the code of the unit, the ArtDefine is this: <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_MARINECORP_AMERICA</UnitArtInfo>

When I place the unit in-game, it is just a spearman. Obviously it's not just as simple as adding a new line in the SQL file, so what exactly is the process I must undergo to get the results I need, if it is even possible at all?

Ah, now I see what you're trying to do. That's a bit beyond the scope of this thread. Please send me a PM or open a new thread in the Creation & Customization thread if you have any further questions, but hopefully this will answer it:
Spoiler Answer :
Since you're just reusing paratrooper models, why don't you just set UnitArtInfo to ART_DEF_UNIT_PARATROOPER, and UnitArtCulturalVariation to 1? It'll be R.E.D. compatible with no further work needed.

If you're planning on using different models or different formations (e.g., like you appear to have been doing, using just the machine gun troopers rather than a mix of machine guns and rifles as R.E.D. uses for the paratrooper unit), then that's a different story.

If this is a mod for your personal use, then look again at the tutorial I linked earlier. I suspect you never set the Reference for your mod in the R.E.D. Modpack.modinfo file, so the new art define entries weren't automatically built for your new unit.

You want to leave _AMERICA off the UnitArtInfo entry. Just for edification: R.E.D. works by setting UnitArtCulturalVariation in the Units table to 1 for every unit except those with UnitArtEraVariation set (you can't have both, unfortunately). With that enabled, the game automatically checks the unit to see if there is a art define UnitArtInfo + ArtStyleSuffix (from the Civilizations table) for that civ. If that's not found, it will just use the base UnitArtInfo define with no suffix.

If you plan to release your mod on the Steam Workshop, then perhaps I can help you design a SQL Trigger so you don't have to have your users make changes to R.E.D.'s modinfo file.

Sorry I don't mean to derail. But Nutty I've been trying to find a post you made that had the url for the steam mods download utility w/o having to log into steam I really don't like steam so I avoid it at all cost so this util would be perfect (sorry if my writing maybe gibberish I'm having a few beers at the mo)

cheers mate :cheers: in more ways than one

Hey, I've been playing CIV for a short time ago.
I've installed some mods like Y.A.H.E.M, UI Diary and no prob with these ones.
Im having an issue with this one since I copy the .civ5mod file in the same folder than the mentioned before but, in difference to the other mods, it seems like it cant unpack the .civ5mod file and consequently, create the R.E.D folder in the MODS directory.
I would appreciate any kind of help for a newbie, thanks!

The Indian civilization pack refuses to play nice with R.E.D. All the units are South African rather than Indian, except Gandhi's units but he's technically a vanilla civ. The mod references R.E.D. in the mod menu, and I have tried re-downloading it several times, what exactly is the problem here?

You'll need to go into the Indian pack files in your mods folder, and modify Civilizations\India_Civilizations.xml and change all of the <ArtStyleSuffix> entries from _AFRI to _INDIA.

Top Bottom