Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

Here's some prices of Poser 5 I could find at Amazon and Ebay. Ebay seems iffy, though; most only make mention of Poser 4, ad the one that does say Poser 5 only says so in the title... not sure of the specifications... and the rest are handbooks. On Amazon, Poser 5 and 6 are the same price, too.

Hope this helps! :king:
SilverKnight

hmm, works for me...

Thanks for this tutorial Utahjazz7! I'm making a unit in Daz Studio and have been referencing to your tutorial along the way. I don't think I ever would have figured out animation without it.

By the way, Daz Studio is a free program which seems to be alot like Poser (I've never used Poser though). It can use Poser props and figures and this tutorial almost completely matches up with it.

could someone please tell me step by step how to add a downloaded unit

Cafegio said:
could someone please tell me step by step how to add a downloaded unit

This thread is not about adding units. You should not have posted your question here.

Look at the link below. If that isn't what you're looking for, then I can't help you. Please don't post in this thread, if you aren't talking about creating a unit using the tutorial.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=71114

This is a great tutorial!
I managed to do everything it said but I've run into a problem: it's about the step where I have to use the UVMapper. I open uvmapper as the tutorial says, I load the Kilt 4.obj but I have no Export Texture Map option but an Export UVs option and after I select this option and save as Kilt 4_map.tif, I can't open it in photoshop - it says it's not a TIFF file.
So I'm stuck here. Please help!

Hmm, Sword_Of_Geddon wrote me a pm about a similar problem. I believe that the problem comes from me using the mac version of the software. When you load the Kilt4.obj, you should see an image on the screen that shows a view of the models mesh--probably white with black lines. At this point, you have to save this as an image. On the mac, I get the option for "Export Texture Map". The Windows version must have something, like "Save Texture Map" or something that will allow you to save an image. I'd imagine that it would be in the "File" menu.

Once you find the command, save the image as whatever file type you want. It doesn't need to be a .tif image. That's just the only option that the mac version has other than .pdf, which wouldn't be useful for me.

Good luck.

Varlin Saliptor said:
I think he means the link in the second post, which doesn't work, as Curious Labs is no longer 'Curious Labs'. I found the new site the other day, however.
The proper link for them is here:

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poser5

Once again, thanks for the tutorial. I've now created over 30 units for Anno Domini using it!
However, I'm finding it difficult to sort out animations for an archer. Looking at units that you've created, it would seem that the fortify animation is a case of taking the arrow out of his quivver and loading the bow and the attack is firing the bow. For some reason, I'm finding it difficult to do these two animations. Do you have any tips that might help me?

Well, hmm . . . let me think. I have made the occasional archer unit, but what would be the best way to do it? Yeah, unfortunately, it's not all that easy to describe, but I will try to do it off the top of my head.

I make no guarantees to the accuracy of the following information. ;)

building the model

1. Loosely close the grip of the right hand, as if the figure were holding an arrow to notch.

2. Parent an arrow to the figure's right hand. The shaft of the arrow should extend from the knuckle out, parallel to the forearm.

3. In the first frame, set the size of the arrow to .001%--making the arrow invisible.

4. For the arrow, make all frames of the default animation key frames.

animating

fortify--ten frames

In the fortify animation you have a couple of options. You can either have the animation end with the figure's hand at the quiver, or the unit can actually be prepared to fire an arrow at the start of the attack animation. I'll talk about how I'd animate the second option. I will concentrate on just the arm drawing the arrow. I would animate all of the figure in all ten frames except for the arms and neck before animating the arms and neck in any. The footwork is similar to a normal unit. First the left foot steps forward, and then the right foot steps backward. The only difference is that the unit will be turned almost 90 degrees to the right by the end.

1. In frame 4 of the fortify, the figure's right hand should be located so as to appear to be grabbing the end of an arrow in the quiver. The neck should be adjusted so that the unit appears to be looking at the quiver here, if possible.

2. Select the arrow prop--the one parented to the figure's right hand--and make the first four frames key frames.

3. In frame 8, the figure's right hand should be at the string of the bow--just about to draw back. The neck should be adjusted to aim at the target.

4. Go back to frame 5. Set the scale of the arrow back to 100%. Watch in frames 5-8 that the arrow doesn't stick out through the quiver or anything else. Look to frame 8, to make sure the arrow is on the bow properly; I'd recommend adjusting the right hand, not the arrow, to correct any problems.

5. Make key frames for frames 1-8 for the entire figure. Be sure to do this with the bow as well.

6. In the hierarchy editor, turn on the IK-chain for the right hand.

7. In frame 10, move the right hand to draw the bow. You'll need to play the the bows draw morph to find the right position. Also, you may need to adjust the right shoulder and forearm for a more realistic movement.

8. Make key frames for frames 9 and 10 of the entire figure, arrow, and bow.

attack--15 frames

Here the unit will basically release the arrow, have a follow through, grab another arrow, and get ready to fire again. I don't bother moving the feet, but you can if you wish, of course.

1. In frame 1 of the attack, select the arrow and set the parent to the rotate ball.

2. Go to frame 3 and from the left/right camera view, move the arrow out to where it will be flying. You'll have to play around with this, but if you look at the Firaxis units, I think you'll notice that the arrow doesn't fly too far at all. In fact, and I beleive it's in the Firaxis Longbowman, the arrow looks like it will hit the ground about 20 feet in front of the figure.

3. For the arrow, set key frames for the arrow in frames 1, 2, and 3.

4. Go to frame four, and parent the arrow to the figure's right hand.

5. Set the scale to .001%.

6. In the key frame editor, copy frame one of the default animation. Paste it into frame 4 of the attack animation.

7. Select the bow. In either frame 1 or 2 of the attack animation, set the draw morph back to 0. I think I normally have it gone in frame 1 already. You'll have to see how it looks to you.

8. In the hierarchy editor, turn of the IK-chain for the right hand.

9. You'll notice that the Firaxis archers have a pretty active release. Go to frame 3 or 4, whichever you prefer, and create the end of the release. Typically, the figure should lean away from the target, so maybe use the hip and chest to create this effect. Also, the right arm should extend back about parallel with the chest. The figure should still mostly face the target though. Create a keyframe for the entire figure here.

10. In the keyframe editor select the entire figure's (include the arrow)frames 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 of the fortify animation. Copy them.

11. Paste them into frames 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 of the attack animation. This should create the same animation for pulling an arrow, notching, and drawing that you had in the fortify animation.

12. You'll need to do something with the left arm during the animation so that it doesn't seem immobile. I normally lower the left shoulder and move it forward a bit in frame four. I'd also, probably bend the forearm here abit and twist the forearm toward the figure. It just makes things look less stiff.

13. Create key frames for the entire animation.

Top Bottom