Leaders speak their own language

3D graphics also don't enhance gameplay.
They are there for atmosphere, not for gameplay. Same for the sounds.

You clearly didn't read the rest of the thread. Earlier I said that I don't really care about the graphics or the sound, but those things won't annoy me unless they make the game run slower. Having leaders speak to me in their own language and have to read their subtitles will annoy me. If they just do a greeting in their own language up front that's fine, but if I have to constantly read subtitles it will get old quickly.

I find movies with subtitles epically annoying. I always wind up missing most of what happens on screen because I'm too busy reading. When I want to read I read, when I want to watch a movie or play a game I don't want subtitles. I wouldn't expect a book to say something in the original language then put a translation after it.

Ok, I gotta call you out on this one. I can't just let you ruin your enjoyment for foreign films and not say something. There's alot of really good stuff out there, and life is too short to miss out.

Nothing destroys an actors performance or ruins a movie so completely as dubbing a different language over it. When the film is in a language you don't understand, subtitles are the only viable option! If you have been resistant to watch movies with subtitles, then there's a whole world of great movies you haven't seen! In a way, your lucky because now you can fix that.

This kind of thing sounds neat, but I fear it will get old really fast!
You think?! Old as in annoying? The last game I remember playing a lot that did this just made the game more atmospheric. It was Battlefield 1942 and it was great hearing Japanese soldiers cry out for medics or Attack! in their native language. It never got old, it just was a great feature.

Also, I have to agree about movies being greater in their native language. It's not like they would dub civ5 in the "dubbing" sense, but I still think it's a good call to give the leaders their original language. As for movies, I guess subtitles is something to get used to and in some cases they might just not be for everyone.

You think?! Old as in annoying? The last game I remember playing a lot that did this just made the game more atmospheric. It was Battlefield 1942 and it was great hearing Japanese soldiers cry out for medics or Attack! in their native language. It never got old, it just was a great feature.

Also, I have to agree about movies being greater in their native language. It's not like they would dub civ5 in the "dubbing" sense, but I still think it's a good call to give the leaders their original language. As for movies, I guess subtitles is something to get used to and in some cases they might just not be for everyone.

In both Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 (both games I loved) you also had the option the switch all of the radio communications to the language the game shipped in, which I quickly switched to.

One of the main reasons I'm playing CIV exclusively with the BAT mod is that units respond in their native languages there. It was absolutely exciting when I heard Russian from a Russian settler for the first time; and now playing as Toku it's awesome to hear Japanese.

I think it's one of the best minor things Firaxis could've done.

What strikes me as being interesting (but probably not many others) is hearing Washington and Elizabeth speak...instead of it just being a "nice touch" it's almost like communicating with a computer via audio...:p (for we english-speaking people, that is)

What strikes me as being interesting (but probably not many others) is hearing Washington and Elizabeth speak...instead of it just being a "nice touch" it's almost like communicating with a computer via audio...:p (for we english-speaking people, that is)

The question is...will you be talking back?

The question is...will you be talking back?

Considering how AI technology is advancing, I bet we will by Civ VI...;) although for now I think i'll just enjoy being able to hurl insults at them without them realizing....:p

I agree with several of those who are worried this is a waste of time and money, a fake "feature" that won't add to gameplay.

For one, AI interaction is already often inherently annoying, and without plans to fix that, this will just make things worse. I'm not for English voice acting either - I'd rather the AI just shut up entirely ;)

I really don't need some leader coming to me in English, nor in some ancient Mesopotamian language and saying

"Would you care to trade maps, for 5 gold"

every single turn, which is about how often at least one AI makes requests.

If this is in the game, I hope there's an option to turn it off entirely; I probably would have it turned off after a couple of games if I'm playing civ V.

One related thing I would love, though, is the ability to conduct diplomacy without going into the diplomacy screen. No additional load time, no animating/voice acting/etc... for leaders, no changes in music, and so on. Ideally you would be able to set what conditions you want. So, say, if the Aztecs come knocking demanding you give them some technology or gold or something, you can just hit "ignore" and not even be forced into the diplo screen; maybe you'd be willing to listen to their declaration of war though. Simplify the system, make it customizable, and above all make the AI smarter, rather than wasting resources/processing time in game for "leaderhead graphics" and "voice acting" and all, especially if you can't turn such stuff off.

I really liked this feature. One of the things that make Alpha Centauri epic was game immersion (atmosphere) witch this feature will help add to Civ (like the advisors).

It's just a little bit of flavor. I'm sure there will still be the same dialogue boxes (In English.) that we're used to, otherwise diplomacy would be impossible. It will be fun to get a sense of how these languages sound, and it might give me an opportunity to refresh some of the things I've forgotten from high school German. Everyone knows Bismark is a great source for learning a language right?

1. We are all probably getting the game anyway. You don't need to make an entire post complaining about it.
2. Nobody said you have to learn all te languages in the game to play it. I'm sure it wasn't shoved in your face either.
3. Many games have introduced aesthetics solely for trying something new.
4. The games has not been released yet so it is not known if this addition dramactically affects gameplay.
5. Again, game not released yet, shouldn't be complaining about hiring more developers.
6. We don't know the cost of the voice actors and frankly shouldn't care.
7. The diplomacy panel will probably stop the game like in CivIV, so it won't be like having to read the subtitles on a moving picture(assumption. i don't know how your eyes work.)
8. Has Firaxis dissapointed us yet? don't be so worried.
9. If it bothers you that much, you could just turn off the sound completely. Problem Solved.
10. If you don't like CivV simply because of the language thing(which I think is a stupid reason for not getting the game but i'm not implying you said that or will do it), you can always play other Civ games.

Ah, agree about Battlefield. I play Battlefield Vietnam a lot and it is really great to hear all of the commands from the NVA-side being spoken in Vietnamese. And there is nothing like taunting in Vietnamese... :lol:

Top Bottom